Umberto Agnelli has died (2 Viewers)

nina

Feb 18, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++
Am I actually talking to brick walls here???

For the third time : there are PLENTY of other Agnelli's alive FFS. It's just that they only hold shares in the Fiat group without actually taking part in the management of the Empire, and are therefore not fit for the job. The only one that seems predestined for it is John Elkan, son of Alain Elkan and Margherita Agnelli and grandson of Gianni. The only obstacle is his young age (26), which means he will need a few more years before being ready to fully take over.
True that, but if I'm not mistaken, the name 'Agnelli' died with Umberto, at least on the male side, so literally no Agnelli will be linked to Juve (blood wise yes, but as in family name, no).

Dec 27, 2003
That's correct, Nina. If Giovannino Agnelli was alive, he'd be the natural heir of the family (he would be 40 today). Although he does not have the name, John Elkann has the fibre of an Agnelli. Just give him some time : the kid must fill a two generation gap - not an easy job.

PS : "l'Italia di Berlusconi" was written by Indro Montanelli AND Mario Cervi btw (I forgot to mention the latter in my PM). And if you want to buy "Piccolo Cesare", it's been published by Feltrinelli.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Sidz-Inzaghi ] ++
*1 minute silence*
From now on, in respect of Umberto, I'll take a minute's silence between each post I make at this forum :)

I hope that wasn't disrespectful

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

From now on, in respect of Umberto, I'll take a minute's silence between each post I make at this forum :)

I hope that wasn't disrespectful
i dont think you have a choice.... :lazy:

Aug 1, 2003
You know; FIAT hasn't been in an all good state either, would that affect Juventus? Now with Umberto gone, I fear for any kind of disruption to the company... but FIAT has an alternate choice AFAIK, don't know what exactly it is but if they choose that other option they'll be biggest shareholders or something

Dec 27, 2003
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
You know; FIAT hasn't been in an all good state either, would that affect Juventus? Now with Umberto gone, I fear for any kind of disruption to the company... but FIAT has an alternate choice AFAIK, don't know what exactly it is but if they choose that other option they'll be biggest shareholders or something

The car section of the Fiat Group has been underperforming for some time, but the Fiat group is much more than just cars : they own or have interests in banks, insurance companies, publishing houses, newspapers, telecom companies, mass marketing companies etc, most of which if not all are doing fine.

Im not sure of what you meant in the second part of your statement. Perhaps you are alluding to the 20% stake that General Motors bought from Fiat Auto : an agreement was reached stipulating that Fiat can sell the rest of their car department to GM in 2006 or buy back the 20% now belonging to GM or just leave things as they are.

Although the market suggests that Fiat should sell its car department to GM, the Agnelli's are reluctant to make that move, since Fiat Auto is kind of symbolic for them (that is how their Empire started more than 100 years ago) and for Italy as a whole. It's a bit as if British Airways became german or General Electric was sold to the Japanese if you like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)