UK Politics (8 Viewers)

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Think it's obvious we need a General Election, and about 6 months ago.
To get Starmer and Rayner? No thanks.

I hope the Conservatives can somehow pick someone outside the box and does a decent job until the next election.

A once horse race just now doesn't help, we have that issue in Scotland and it is a mess. A decent battle between Conservatives and Labour in a couple of years is better in the long term.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Both parties are relatively central but each retain an element of right (Tories) or left (Labour). You are more likely to see far left in prominence with Labour than you are anything to the far right with the Tories, but there is still (and probably always will be) an elitist ring to the Tory party, even among BME MPs. That's not to say of course that Labour do not have many members far removed from ordinary folk.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
To get Starmer and Rayner? No thanks.

I hope the Conservatives can somehow pick someone outside the box and does a decent job until the next election.

A once horse race just now doesn't help, we have that issue in Scotland and it is a mess. A decent battle between Conservatives and Labour in a couple of years is better in the long term.
I'm not sure there is a good choice in all this, but it can only go on so long that the Tory with the biggest ambition and allies defaults the top job. Let them put someone forward to contest Starmer. But yes, it's likely we'd have to listen to Raynor's horrible voice a lot more if it went to a GE due to voting out rather than in.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
I'm not sure there is a good choice in all this, but it can only go on so long that the Tory with the biggest ambition and allies defaults the top job. Let them put someone forward to contest Starmer. But yes, it's likely we'd have to listen to Raynor's horrible voice a lot more if it went to a GE due to voting out rather than in.
There's no good choice but an election now is a landslide for Labour. I'd rather hold off on the hope that some new Conservative leader can be at least somewhat popular. Competition is good in politics and forces parties to be less extreme and held accountable.

We've had failure after failure from the Scottish government but nothing changes here because they can do what they want and still get voted in.

Apr 12, 2004
fallback.png

- - - Updated - - -

A new U.K. prime minister is expected to be chosen by next Friday after Liz Truss resigned 45 days into the job, Axios Sneak Peek editor Zachary Basu reports.

• Replacement favorites include former Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak, House of Commons leader Penny Mordaunt and Defense Secretary Ben Wallace.
  • Don't forget Boris: The vacationing former PM is also set to mount a dramatic comeback bid.
Go deeper: How hidden financial risks brought down Liz Truss, by Axios Macro co-author Neil Irwin.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
fallback.png

- - - Updated - - -

A new U.K. prime minister is expected to be chosen by next Friday after Liz Truss resigned 45 days into the job, Axios Sneak Peek editor Zachary Basu reports.

• Replacement favorites include former Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak, House of Commons leader Penny Mordaunt and Defense Secretary Ben Wallace.
  • Don't forget Boris: The vacationing former PM is also set to mount a dramatic comeback bid.
Go deeper: How hidden financial risks brought down Liz Truss, by Axios Macro co-author Neil Irwin.
A lot of financial bullshit

- - - Updated - - -

So wait this was triggered because what's her name wanted to legalise fracking and her own party was against it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)