UK Politics (16 Viewers)

Juventino[RUS]

Mar 9, 2006
£30,000 salary gives you a maximum of about £1000 p/m for rent if you are being sensible about the cost of living, travel, leisure etc in London, so obviously there is some problem when a lot of these are over that figure.
"Average rents in the UK reached £937 per month in July as the pace of increases took a significant step up amid a shortage in the supply of housing."

So basically it's not only london's problem but the whole island problem and you want to take full control on all rent prices all over the uk? how you are going to do that?

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
He's only London mayor though. And London's prices are higher than almost anywhere in the country, even the rest of the south, which itself can be far more than the north. But it is a nationwide problem. You can come and live next to me for £750 a month, but the same size place anywhere near the city of London would be more like £1500. You can't control rent prices between somewhere like Harrow and then somewhere like Burnley. London is a monster of its own. I just don't see how far money will go in London, or who the kind of tenants will be.

Juventino[RUS]

Mar 9, 2006
exactly. nice having a apartment - but i wanna life after all.
What's ur annual income ?

- - - Updated - - -

He's only London mayor though. And London's prices are higher than almost anywhere in the country, even the rest of the south, which itself can be far more than the north. But it is a nationwide problem. You can come and live next to me for £750 a month, but the same size place anywhere near the city of London would be more like £1500. You can't control rent prices between somewhere like Harrow and then somewhere like Burnley. London is a monster of its own. I just don't see how far money will go in London, or who the kind of tenants will be.
This is the big city life - London, New York, Paris, Moscow, Los Angeles, life is expensive in the big cities

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
What are you guys thinking?

@Red @Scottish @Badass Dybala @PhRoZeN @Ford Prefect @Gep @JuveMkd @K.O. @Mike-e-y @Nicholas @Pirlo's Beard @YouVay

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Im personally undecided. Im caught between two arguments.

Leave - NHS is a mess. Infact its shocking we are seeing dozens of A&E departments/hospitals to close, people are at risk of dieing. State in the north you can argue is even worse. Immigrants aint such a bad thing but onky the fact that were getting more criminals coming in than anything so would wish for a better profiling.

Remain - Jobs and more Jobs, Other than whats mentioned above there is a fear factor that things could get worse if we leave. Were going to be ruled from brussels, which is partly true a lot of regulations have come from there both positive and negative. We cant negotiate at good offers with our trading, i.e were fixed with EU trading laws. I think in general there is a fear that change will make things worse and thats certainly the last thing we need and economy isnt something you take risks on, especially when livelihoods are at stake.

As you can tell im not convinced by either. A typical example of us being in has seen us pay 105.3 billion in tax in 2014 for example at 20%. Dodgy politicians, like any politician and the expense scandel etc not sure they could be trusted with decisions. Its sad, i think we have some really great MP's, Jo Cox was certainly one of them. The deciding factor is how worse can we get. EDL and BNP hard lefties are all for us to leave, which is repelling me to remain. At the same time as i said earlier NHS is big on my list and it isnt getting any better and never will till we have a proper reform.

Tough choice, im slightly inclined to remain, but still deciding.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I feel the same, the risk of going into the unknown leaves more questions than answers. I think we'd come out of it fine in the long run, but how many years down the line that is I don't know. Anybody involved in business with the EU should really be worried, but like anything a lot would be down to how people and companies adapt to the problem.

I also think the scare tactics from either side have been simply disgusting, and I also don't like how now the dust has settled it's looking more and more like a left vs right argument.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
I’ve been thinking for the past few weeks how Brexit will affect me as a Non-EU, Non-immigrant foreigner living in the UK. And looking at this from a financial point of view, my main concern is that I bought my apartment in 2014 with the intention of selling it with a profit after I finish my courses (hopefully, mid 2017) and that seems very, very unlikely if UK votes to leave. On the other hand, in the short run, the expected drop of GBP value is somehow beneficial to me since I'm getting a fixed salary in US dollars.

Of course, if I was eligible to vote, I would’ve voted to remain and I think brits will choose to remain eventually. Cons are far greater than pros for those thinking about voting to leave.

Nicholas

MIRKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 30, 2008
I'm not voting at all. Ideally we'd remain but without Cameron and Co and a bigger say within the EU. Never going to happen.

What is worrying is the amount of cunts on both sides who have no idea why they're voting and arguments to back up their votes.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
I thought that because I'm not currently in the UK then I wouldn't get a vote, since that's how the Scottish Independence Referendum was. I thought to check too late and discovered that I'd fucked it. In that case maybe my view is meaningless but here it is:

I would vote to remain. There is a worrying lack of facts from either side, but that of course is because it's a shot in the dark to leave and who knows what might happen in the future anyway if we stayed. For me, as a person who likes to live in different countries, the EU makes it dead easy for me to find a job across the EU. Easier than at home infact, considering my current line of work. That would be my main reason.

One point to consider is that there is a real chance of another Scottish referendum if the outcome is leave but Scotland voting to remain (which I think will happen, Scotland is a typically left-leaning pro-internationalism society) and so there is that to consider as well.

Overall I have seen very little chat about it on Facebook (an amazingly useful way to keep up-to-date when you live abroad, incidentally) which is very surprising. I asked for some info from my friends and most of what I got is that nobody knows what to do. Worrying.

A part of me can understand the Brexit point of view as well, but to be honest I'm not sure how much it worries me to see Europe incrementally become a single state. Why not? The single market has obvious advantages and we've not seen war between EU countries in a historically remarkably long time. I also don't identify as British in the slightest so maybe that skewers my view and I don't have a romantic ideal of Great Britain ruling the waves or whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

Sturgeon on the left, Beckham on the right. Fuck yeah.

However I can't stand to look at Tony Blair's face. Why is he not in jail, again?

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing - isn't it funny that this referendum was essentially started by what turned out to be a flash-in-the-pan surge of support for UKIP?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I think they just put the footballers in their actual playing positions :D

Yeah it's that pretty far right starting point for the discussion that keeps turning me away from the leave vote.

I mean, Nigel Farage is funny but he's a dickhead.

Nicholas

MIRKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 30, 2008
I thought that because I'm not currently in the UK then I wouldn't get a vote, since that's how the Scottish Independence Referendum was. I thought to check too late and discovered that I'd $#@!ed it. In that case maybe my view is meaningless but here it is:

I would vote to remain. There is a worrying lack of facts from either side, but that of course is because it's a shot in the dark to leave and who knows what might happen in the future anyway if we stayed. For me, as a person who likes to live in different countries, the EU makes it dead easy for me to find a job across the EU. Easier than at home infact, considering my current line of work. That would be my main reason.

One point to consider is that there is a real chance of another Scottish referendum if the outcome is leave but Scotland voting to remain (which I think will happen, Scotland is a typically left-leaning pro-internationalism society) and so there is that to consider as well.

Overall I have seen very little chat about it on Facebook (an amazingly useful way to keep up-to-date when you live abroad, incidentally) which is very surprising. I asked for some info from my friends and most of what I got is that nobody knows what to do. Worrying.

A part of me can understand the Brexit point of view as well, but to be honest I'm not sure how much it worries me to see Europe incrementally become a single state. Why not? The single market has obvious advantages and we've not seen war between EU countries in a historically remarkably long time. I also don't identify as British in the slightest so maybe that skewers my view and I don't have a romantic ideal of Great Britain ruling the waves or whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

Sturgeon on the left, Beckham on the right. $#@! yeah.

However I can't stand to look at Tony Blair's face. Why is he not in jail, again?

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing - isn't it funny that this referendum was essentially started by what turned out to be a flash-in-the-pan surge of support for UKIP?
Cameron promised it in the last general election.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Cameron promised it in the last general election.
Yes but only because he wanted the UKIP voters to swing back to Tory to secure a win in the election.

Actually I think I see your point now - those UKIP supporters made the difference to the Tories because there are so many of them. Gotcha.

- - - Updated - - -

I think they just put the footballers in their actual playing positions :D

Yeah it's that pretty far right starting point for the discussion that keeps turning me away from the leave vote.

I mean, Nigel Farage is funny but he's a dickhead.
Boris Johnson vs David Cameron.

Not far off what it would be like to be an American voter in this year's election :lol:

Jul 1, 2010
You guys should get out imo, you really want to become absorbed further in this EU bureaucratic mess? I'd get out and run if I were you.

All I've heard from both sides is talks about economics but what the Leave camp should emphasize is political sovereignty. By staying in the EU, the UK will increasingly lose its sovereignty and become a province of a EU which more and more looks like the bureaucratic, undemocratic monster that the USSR was.

The EUSSR, basically.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
I posted some long ass posts in another place a little while back on why I'm in favour of 'leave'

There will absolutely be downfalls if we leave but I think there will be plenty of upsides too.

For starters free movement AKA masses of unskilled workers coming in to the country when we absolutely do not need them is stupid. An Australian style procedure for immigration would be excellent. Hell just recruiting the types of people we actually NEED would be fantastic.
Then there's the EU which is a complete mess for the most part. A couple of years ago the EU GDP growth rate was lower than any continent bar Antarctica :lol:
EU constantly Veto Britain at every turn, and still have the cheek to ask for more money from us every time we have a solid year financially.

Not to mention, if a leading political party in Britain fucks off the masses, they can be voted out. If these plebs in Brussels piss us off, we're helpless and have to suck it up. The 5th largest economy in the World does not need to be EU's bitch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)