UEFAcup to get Group Phase in 04/05 (1 Viewer)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
UEFAcup to get Group Phase in 04/05

The UEFA Cup will include a new-style group stage from the 2004-05 season designed to improve the quality and credibility of Europe's second-ranked club competition.

UEFA's Executive Committee announced on Thursday that from the season after next, the UEFA Cup will be based on a first round knockout of 80 teams, followed by a group phase of 40 teams in eight groups of five.

The top three teams in each group -- a total of 24 -- would then advance, joined by eight teams eliminated from the Champions League. The knockout competition would then continue with 32 teams.

The novelty in the group stage is that the five teams will not play each other home and away but will play each other only once. Each team will play four matches, two home and two away. The groups would be a mixture of clubs based on UEFA seedings.

UEFA also announced a change in their qualifying competition for the 2006 World Cup finals.

There will be three groups of seven teams -- making 12 qualifying matches -- and five groups of six teams, with the eight group winners and two best runners-up qualifying automatically.

The other six runners-up will take part in play-offs, with three qualifying for the finals.

These World Cup proposals need to be agreed with FIFA in due course.

Taken from www.eurosport.com

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Mullarkey ] ++
should raise the profile slightly, Personally I think uefa should go back to the old euro formats.
I hope you do not want to see the cup-winners-cup again. It was just ridiculous. I think it is good the way it is. The number of teams is good, the number of games could be less but I don't mind seeing my favourite teams so often.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
With the new format the UEFA Cup might look like a mini-Champions League .. I prefer the current all-the-way knock-out format as it is more exciting and different than the Champions League .. It is a 'Cup' tournament and traditionally there are no group stages in a cup tournament ..

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
With the new format the UEFA Cup might look like a mini-Champions League .. I prefer the current all-the-way knock-out format as it is more exciting and different than the Champions League .. It is a 'Cup' tournament and traditionally there are no group stages in a cup tournament ..

agreed

plus, there's more of a chance for small teams to progress as they wont have to face much big teams (depending on their luck)

example: wisla krakow last season...

but now that they've chanced it, there isnt much chance of that happening anymore..proof? how many small teams have made it to the 1/8s or last 16 of the CL in the last 5-6s years

OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #7
    None, really.

Thankfully the second group phase in the CL is a gonner next season! Back to the 'Final 16!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)