Uefa trouble for Italy (1 Viewer)

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
Uefa trouble for Italy

Staff and agencies
Wednesday June 23, 2004

Can you fix it? Italy thinks so.

The Italian football federation's president and two leading players could be in trouble with Uefa after stoking up the controversy surrounding Sweden and Denmark's 2-2 draw last night, which saw Italy eliminated despite their win against Bulgaria.
Gianluigi Buffon and Andrea Pirlo both suggested an arrangement had been made between the two Scandinavian sides, who achieved the one result which meant the Italians would be going home whatever they achieved against Bulgaria.

They now face disciplinary action from Uefa, together with Italian federation president, Franco Carraro, who is also a member of Uefa's executive committee.

The Azzurri beat Bulgaria 2-1 in Guimares, but in spite of finishing level on points with Group C rivals Sweden and Denmark, they failed to progress to the quarter-final stages because they had scored fewer goals in the games between the three teams.

AC Milan midfielder Andrea Pirlo was unequivocal in his assessment. "I think it was programmed," he said. "This is a bitter end to our campaign, considering we had the same points as our rivals."

Juventus goalkeeper Buffon added: "I am shocked by the result, bitter and slightly embarrassed, not for me but for them. When there is a lot of talk throughout the week of a possible agreement between the two squads for the game to finish with a 2-2 draw and then it happens, it makes you wonder."

The doubts extended to Italian football federation president Franco Carraro, who questioned the Denmark and Sweden result.

"There is no doubt that the way the Denmark versus Sweden game developed shows that the two teams were aiming for a draw," he said. "Of course, proof of that is hard to find."

But Uefa spokesman Rob Faulkner made it clear the event organisers were happy the match was not fixed.

"We all saw the same matches and I think it's fairly clear from the attacking nature of the Sweden-Denmark match that both were going for victory," he said.

"I don't think there's any doubt there. Should we receive any official complaint then we will review what they have sent in but looking at the two matches and the drama of the two games it would seem there's no type of collusion at all."

Pirlo's team-mate at Milan, Denmark striker Jon Dahl Tomasson who struck twice last night, denied match-fixing allegations, saying he and his team-mates were furious for conceding a late goal.

"There was a lot of talk about 2-2 but we all tried all of the time, all we wanted was three points to win the match," he said. "We are all really disappointed that we did not hold on at the end when we were 2-1 ahead, because that would have won the group for us.

"We did not play as we would have liked. Okay, so we are in the quarter-finals, but we did not show Danish football in the way we wanted. I play my football in Italy and of course I feel sorry for them.

"They have some great players who I admire and respect. The Swedish people will not like hearing me say this, but I believe the best two teams in the group were Denmark and Italy."

http://football.guardian.co.uk/euro2004/story/0,14577,1245491,00.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lesson: think twice before you accuse someone about sth.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
Damnit, Buffon has to watch his mouth. I hope he isnt suspended for any CL games because we have qualification matches coming up

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
Jul 12, 2002
It used to be that such comments would bring about the charge of "Brining the Game into Disrepute". It is valid, especially when people so stupidly talk of a fix. Perhaps UEFA should punish, and the Italian FA should take note and do the same to Sensi and Gaucci who always claim of match-fixing and conspiracy. These claims do nothing to bring fans to the sport.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)