UEFA moves Turkey ties (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
http://www.uefa.com/uefa/news/Kind=16384/newsId=128776.html

Turkey ties moved abroad
Tuesday, 25 November 2003

UEFA has switched three European club competition matches due to be played in Turkey over the next two weeks to neutral venues outside of the country.

Security situation
A statement by European football's governing body on Tuesday said that the matches between Galatasaray SK and Juventus FC (UEFA Champions League), Maccabi Haifa FC and Valencia CF (UEFA Cup) and Besiktas JK and Chelsea FC (UEFA Champions League) were being moved in view of the current security situation in Turkey. The decision was taken by the UEFA Emergency Panel at a meeting in Brussels on Tuesday.

Terrorist attacks
"The decision comes in the wake of the recent terrorist attacks of 15 and 20 November in Istanbul and follows a broad evaluation of the current threat to security, the advice offered by a variety of governments, including the assurances offered by the Turkish government, and the investigations still being undertaken by the relevant authorities," UEFA said.

Overall interests
"Taking everything into account, the Emergency Panel felt that it was in the overall interests of clubs, players, fans and European football in general to move these particular ties at this time. Steps will now be taken to establish the venues and dates for these matches."

Safety and security
UEFA Chief Executive Gerhard Aigner said: "This has not been an easy decision. The Emergency Panel has to evaluate all the available evidence while focusing on the safety and security of the participants and fans in UEFA's competitions. Given the proximity to recent tragic events and the uncertain security situation, the Panel feels it is right to switch these particular ties to neutral venues at this time."

Good decision IMO, I just wonder where we'll play.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Realistically I think it will be somewhere in Cyprus area, though I`m still hoping for a miracle in malta ;)

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
Germany, I think that would be fair due to the large number of Turks there.

I believe Nero said that Berlin is the city with the largest Turkish population.

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
Enough of the wishful thinking :D

Its been announced that the Galatasaray - Juve match will be held in Germany.

Its going to be at the Gottlaeb-Daimler Stadion (Stuttgart).

Good choice i guess :) The stadium is going to be packed since there is a German cup game right after the Juve game.

:cool:

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by tarmpropp ] ++
Germany, I think that would be fair due to the large number of Turks there.

I believe Nero said that Berlin is the city with the largest Turkish population.
Nero? The Roman Emperor who fiddled while Rome burned? I thought that the Turks in Germany were primarily there as "Gastarbeiter" originally - "guest workers" after WWII.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)