UEFA Blasts Chelsea, Why not Real? (1 Viewer)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
Matto-----maybe the dutch title is not as prestigious as some other bigger leagues but at the end of the day, which would u rather tell your kids, your team won the league a number of times recently or that you nearly got to the semis of the Cl once
Right, I see where you're going with this but you can't call PSV a great club because they have won the league a number of times despite Ajax and Feyenoord breathing down their necks. On an international level they haven't won anything recently, they haven't even left an impression worth mentioning!

In my opinion - a great club can perform on multiple stages. Ajax got very far in the CL and finished only close second on the very last day of the league. Feyenoord won the UEFAcup two seasons ago. Both of these clubs I consider to be bigger and better than PSV, despite their good national record.

OP
Primo

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
Dec 20, 2002
  • Thread Starter #63
    you got a good point.

the consideration of being a big club in europe has always been having the ability to win major european trophies.

sad to say but true.

a club is never established as a prestigious one not until it has made its mark over some european silverware.

but i do think that psv is a great team.

desireless

Sep 16, 2003
    Is there any possibility that this all just a make over from UEFA and Chelsea to bring up the popularity, I mean Ab, himself, is a well known business man. I am not saying that Chelsea is wrong in this case nor Madrid, but then they are not right either. They have their money, they have their youth team, if they wanna use their young gunners, well its "Internal" affair I guess.

If UEFA believe that buying new ready to use players, will damaged the development of new talents, well imho, not really. Bringing stars will let the young ones to learn from them as well. But the decision of playing who at the pitch, well.... UEFA can't really force the clubs. Some clubs are lending their young talents to other clubs, in order for them to have an answer for nurturing talents, but aren't they being irresponsible as well tossing the players ard.

And the quality of the players will do the talking. Though buying and spending money buying players, and creating haywire in the transfer market is not good either.

Hope this will create no offense to anyone, just my humble opinion.

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by desireless ] ++
    Is there any possibility that this all just a make over from UEFA and Chelsea to bring up the popularity, I mean Ab, himself, is a well known business man. I am not saying that Chelsea is wrong in this case nor Madrid, but then they are not right either. They have their money, they have their youth team, if they wanna use their young gunners, well its "Internal" affair I guess.

If UEFA believe that buying new ready to use players, will damaged the development of new talents, well imho, not really. Bringing stars will let the young ones to learn from them as well. But the decision of playing who at the pitch, well.... UEFA can't really force the clubs. Some clubs are lending their young talents to other clubs, in order for them to have an answer for nurturing talents, but aren't they being irresponsible as well tossing the players ard.

And the quality of the players will do the talking. Though buying and spending money buying players, and creating haywire in the transfer market is not good either.

Hope this will create no offense to anyone, just my humble opinion.
    I think that you're misssing the point. If teams do buy star players, then they will play and the youngsters won't, that's not really debatable. I think that UEFA is more angry (as am I) that Chelsea also bought players like Joe Cole, only for them to sit on the bench wasted.

desireless

Sep 16, 2003
    Well, one thing for certain is that I am not really sure about the meaning of young players. Joe Cole and Wayne Bridge have established themselves.

Though yeah, it is true that both of them are being wasted there in chelsea, and so is Portillo in madrid (though he is from madrid all the time) and I agree with You Rickenbacker. But as I said, UEFA can't really fired down rockets to chelsea and madrid as well, since I believe their responds will be the same "look at other clubs UEFA", and the same cycle will continue on I guess.

What I believe UEFA can do is to protect those new players from clutches of big spending clubs. Though I am not sure about legal matters being produced from UEFA about this, hopefully someone can tell me about it?

Just my humble opinion... hopefully not offending anyone

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by desireless ] ++
    Well, one thing for certain is that I am not really sure about the meaning of young players. Joe Cole and Wayne Bridge have established themselves.

Though yeah, it is true that both of them are being wasted there in chelsea, and so is Portillo in madrid (though he is from madrid all the time) and I agree with You Rickenbacker. But as I said, UEFA can't really fired down rockets to chelsea and madrid as well, since I believe their responds will be the same "look at other clubs UEFA", and the same cycle will continue on I guess.

What I believe UEFA can do is to protect those new players from clutches of big spending clubs. Though I am not sure about legal matters being produced from UEFA about this, hopefully someone can tell me about it?

Just my humble opinion... hopefully not offending anyone
    You're right, UEFA can't really dictate that kind of thing to the clubs, but I think that something ought to be done.

Sep 28, 2002
    what about that rule to field at least 5 or something national players. there were thoughts about it aftyer the same chelsea fielded 11 foreign players in a cl match. imo, that's even worse than wasting home grown talent on the bench

Sep 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++

I think that you're misssing the point. If teams do buy star players, then they will play and the youngsters won't, that's not really debatable. I think that UEFA is more angry (as am I) that Chelsea also bought players like Joe Cole, only for them to sit on the bench wasted.
    but joe cole is already an establshed player, almost a star. where as juve "wastes" talents like olivera, maresca. is joe cole is unhappy about his playing time he can leave and there'll be many teams that will gladly take him. and where could olivera go? serie c?

desireless

Sep 16, 2003
    what about that rule to field at least 5 or something national players. there were thoughts about it aftyer the same chelsea fielded 11 foreign players in a cl match.
    This rule doesn't really protect the young players at all. Chelsea can still look for 26 yrs old mid from England, and Joe Cole will still sit in the bench. I mean if UEFA is really protecting the interests of the youngs, they should go and create a specific rules about it, but then again this is impossible coz all the big clubs will say "lets close down the shop UEFA" and what can the organization do?

This can be look as UEFA is contradicting of their own statement. What I really hate about those big spending clubs, is their ability to destroy the transfer market. They can put any price tag on any players (sometimes over pricing as well).

I still remember how Platini (if I am not wrong) making a huge statement about how UEFA is letting the big clubs to get bigger and richer every day (even through participation in CL). But again how is the respond so far, none. :down: :down:

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Tacca03 , I am a Real Madrid fan , on football basis only, I am not really a fan oif their transfer policy and the politics that go on behind the scenes, and a s a journalist, you are probably more interested in those kinda things than myself

What I dont like about the Roman issue is he is just a businessman, he is neither a Chelsea man nor is he even English, he is just here to make a big name for himself and he has surely done that

Now what would happen to Chelsea, if he suddenly loses interest in them and all the players they have on huge contracts , now because of Real Madrid's prestige in world football, the government or whoever would bail them out, but noone would bail out chelsea as they are just wannabes in the big game

You say players like Makelele have left Real, well the point is that he did actually play for them and he has gone from getting £25,000 a week which he thinks is way too small to something in the region of between £75-100,000 a week which is monstrous compared to what he brings to the game. He is a very good player but the way Real Madrid play made him look way better than he really is and he is not box office material so his image rights would not really fetch much to the club

Matto------ I never said PSV are a great team, I just said they were more succesful of late domestically than Ajax and I believ they are richer, thats all

Goiing back to Chelsea, we have seen to many clubs in the past trying way too hard and overstretching themselves trying to compete with the big boys only to become so broke it becomes dangerous

Jul 12, 2002
    Now what would happen to Chelsea, if he suddenly loses interest in them and all the players they have on huge contracts , now because of Real Madrid's prestige in world football, the government or whoever would bail them out, but noone would bail out chelsea as they are just wannabes in the big game
    That's the whole bloody point! How is it irght that Madrid should be bailed should have that kind of favouritism? The government did bail them out and they've used that to capture teh biggest names in football. Now, Chelsea were bought by an investor with big funds, it's no less illegitimate if he uses them to buy players than what Madrid did. There's no way that you can argue that this is good for the developement of players. If Madrid didn't have tons of cash, then you'd see very talented players like Guti getting the chance to play. The fact that there are two teams out there, who can seemingly buy anyone and do, indicates a trend towards the concentration of power int he teams who are independently wealthy. Football isn't about attracting a wealthy oil tycoon or getting the favour of the king, it's about developing a good squad to win championships and make money from football.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Matto------ I never said PSV are a great team, I just said they were more succesful of late domestically than Ajax and I believ they are richer, thats all
    They're not, actually. PSV (Philips Sport Vereniging) hold all the money. All they need to do is ring up Philips to get another truck load. Only this season, after receiving millions of CL money, is Ajax richer again. But it hasn't been like that over the past years.

But let's drop it, it's off-topic in this thread anyway.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    Theres 2 solutions I see to the problem-

Either make smaller clubs more attractive to star players- reducing the concentration of batigols henrigol and trezegols in big teams and allowing more space for the youth.

Or have small clubs focus on loaning in star youngsters from big clubs to rpovide them playing time in return for some monetary(or otherwise) incentive.

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by [LAC] ] ++

Either make smaller clubs more attractive to star players- reducing the concentration of batigols henrigol and trezegols in big teams and allowing more space for the youth.

Or have small clubs focus on loaning in star youngsters from big clubs to rpovide them playing time in return for some monetary(or otherwise) incentive.
    Or you could make all clubs supporters unions, like Barcelona or Celtic.

Tacca03

May 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++

That's the whole bloody point! How is it irght that Madrid should be bailed should have that kind of favouritism? The government did bail them out and they've used that to capture teh biggest names in football. Now, Chelsea were bought by an investor with big funds, it's no less illegitimate if he uses them to buy players than what Madrid did. There's no way that you can argue that this is good for the developement of players. If Madrid didn't have tons of cash, then you'd see very talented players like Guti getting the chance to play. The fact that there are two teams out there, who can seemingly buy anyone and do, indicates a trend towards the concentration of power int he teams who are independently wealthy. Football isn't about attracting a wealthy oil tycoon or getting the favour of the king, it's about developing a good squad to win championships and make money from football.
    Once again, well said Rickenbacker2!!

desireless

Sep 16, 2003
    I guess UEFA should really make it clear as well, I mean we can always look at Milan and Berlusconi, Inter and Moratti, Ab with chelsea, the king with madrid.... and more on the list.

UEFA should really go down and control the market transfer

OP
    Primo

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
    Dec 20, 2002
  • Thread Starter #78
    By [LAC}:

Or have small clubs focus on loaning in star youngsters from big clubs to rpovide them playing time in return for some monetary(or otherwise) incentive
    How do you do this?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    IF there's a moderator out there, can this thread be split into three? The Real Madrid debate, the Ajax debate, and the promotion of youth debate.

My opinions on all three:

1. Madrid were indeed bailed out by the government, when their training ground was bought by them. Their training ground is (was) in a very expensive part of Madrid, and apparently the govenrment will make a tidy profit when construction of the four skyscrapers they're building on it is complete.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    2. Ajax are not in the top tier of clubs in Europe, financially or on the playing field. That they can stay within sight fo them at all is a triumph of their youth system and management.

On the other hand, they've had to cut back their foreign youth acadamies as the money is no longer flowing in after the transfer market took a downturn.

Other clubs have tried to copy Ajax's success this way, but have failed for a number of reasons. Ajax's reputation gets them youth players other teams can't get. The start-up costs are prohibitive. No one quite knows how the hell Ajax train these guys up so well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)