UAE bans Blackberry services (1 Viewer)

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Have BlackBerry, will travel? Sure, go to town, vagabonds, just don't attempt to do so in the UAE come this October. The telecommunications regulatory body there has banned all BlackBerrys and BlackBerry services.

Abu Dhabi: The Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA) confirmed on Sunday that BlackBerry Messenger, BlackBerry E-mail and BlackBerry web-browsing services in the UAE will be suspended from October 11.

The suspension is a result of the failure of ongoing attempts, dating back to 2007, to bring BlackBerry services in the UAE in line with UAE telecommunications regulations.

Even more troubling for BlackBerry users in the UAE is that fact that RIM is compliant in other countries with similar regulations—just not the UAE. Maybe they UAE kicked RIM's dog, who knows?

Of course, if BlackBerry can bring their services and cellphones in line with what the TRA desires (mainly, that all BlackBerry data and info pass through regulated servers), they will be allowed back into the playpen. Otherwise, no BBMs for you!

BlackBerry messaging may be banned in Saudi Arabia as well, cites an unnamed company source. Expect "security concerns" (i.e. they can't snoop on RIM's servers) as the primary reason, should this too come to pass.

http://gizmodo.com/5601666/uae-bans-everything-blackberry
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before the crucification of UAE begins, I'd like to point out that even India has been mulling over banning BBs for the same reason. As far as I am aware, the US and UK have snooping laws which allow agencies to request/grab data off servers as need be. Now when the data is on external servers (Canada in this case I think) its almost impossible for countries to get that data. Its however possible for the Americans to get data from the servers relating to Indian users (I'm guessing here).

Please discuss.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
I read that... Wow

Sometime ago I read that data that goes through BBM is public (now I'm guessing it isn't) but the data that goes through PIN messages is encrypted and should be the one that the government agencies should be after...

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
the worst part is I just bought the Bold 9700 last week :sergio:

it is their own laziness and greed that has created this problem.

but I think they'll find a solution, too much money to be lost for the telecom. firms...500k BB users cannot be ignored!

OP
icemaη

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
  • Thread Starter #18

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)