Turntables (1 Viewer)

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
I'm interested in buying one but I don't know much about them. Should I buy an old used model or go for a new one? Also, what is the deal with the different speeds?

PS: I'm not talking about modern DJ equipment. Just a good ol record player.

Buy on AliExpress.com

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Buy a new one because they have better compatibility with modern devices such as amplifiers. The different speeds is due to the different recordings of certain vinyls.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I'm interested in buying one but I don't know much about them. Should I buy an old used model or go for a new one? Also, what is the deal with the different speeds?

PS: I'm not talking about modern DJ equipment. Just a good ol record player.

Spoken Word records are usually at 16 RPM. The slower the revolutions, the worse music sounded depending upon the size of the disc. The 78's were popular in the 20's and 30's because it closely mirrored the speed that was done by owners of the hand cranked phonograph players in order to maintain good fidelity on a cylindrical disc. The 33 1/3's and 45's came out after the technology improved, and also allowed for a lot more space. You don't under any circumstance, want to get an old fashioned record player. If you really need to go old school, try and get Turntables that came out in the early to mid 80's, but I certainly would not go any further back than that. Trying to find needles for those earlier record players are costly and hard to find, and they wear out very quickly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)