Totti And Roma – Moving Forward (1 Viewer)

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
Totti And Roma – Moving Forward
2/2/2005 4:48:00 PM
Despite the constant speculation of transfer rumours and threats to leave, Francesco Totti has stood firm with his hometown club Roma and has reacted in the best possible way. Ross Catanzariti considers Roma's season, Totti's contribution to it and what the future may hold...
Much has been made of the turbulent season Italian side AS Roma have been through so far. They watched as Fabio Capello secretly defected to their fiercest rivals Juventus and took Emerson and Jonathan Zebina with him. They saw Walter Samuel, arguably their best defender, move to Real Madrid. They lost coach Claudio Cesere Prandelli in the pre-season due to his wife’s ill health. Rudi Voeller resigned only 3 weeks after taking the job. Their fans were banned from the Olimpico during the Champions League after an object struck referee Anders Frisk during the opening game against Dynamo Kyiv. They failed to win a Champions League game, earning only 1 point from their 6 matches. They lost midfielder Damiano Tommasi and defender Cristian Chivu for almost the entire season due to injury. They had problems with young starlet Antonio Cassano. They even had problems with captain Francesco Totti, who was struck by bottles from his own fans during an Italian Cup clash against Siena.

But, after all that, the club looks like it is on the rise, having scored 15 goals in its last 6 games, moving into the Italian Cup quarterfinals and climbing to 5th position in the league, only 2 points away from a Champions League spot next season.

It has been a real season of ups and downs for the capital club and credit must go to new boss Luigi Del Neri, who has instilled a winning mentality back into his side, having come from behind to win in their last 2 matches.

But the main credit must go to the attacking trio of Francesco Totti, Antonio Cassano and Vincenzo Montella. The tridente have been superb almost all season and without them, Roma would be firmly planted in the relegation zone.

Despite the constant speculation of transfer rumours and threats to leave, Francesco Totti has stood firm with his hometown club and has reacted in the best possible way. Totti is often criticized in Italy for his attitude, which at times can be poor. But this season, even with backlash from the fans, which would have come as a kick in the teeth, Totti has put his head down and concentrated on his football – and the rewards have been pleasant.

Totti has played a slightly more creative role than last season, where he was used by Capello as a second forward. He has played further back behind the front two this year and often drops back to help out the defence – something which was missing from his game in previous seasons. His countless assists have been essential for the platform that Vincenzo Montella has used to become the league’s top scorer with 17 goals.

But still the transfer rumours remain. Will Totti leave? If so, will it be to Madrid? At this point in time, it looks unlikely. Arrigo Sacchi has already stated that Real do not need, nor are they looking for, any new attackers. With Totti likely to command a world record transfer fee, it seems as though he will be remaining with Roma, at least for the time being.

Many people like to point out that he has threatened to leave in the past – but this is just a tactic by Totti to strive for a competitive Roma – one that can be challenging for titles. That does look unlikely this year, but with continued improvement and some off-season signings, including a striker and a left-winger, Roma have a side that can realistically challenge for the Scudetto next season. Any side with the quality of their front three attackers is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

They have also cut their wage budget drastically by selling Mido, Vincent Candela, Marco Delvecchio, Luigi Sartor and Gaetano D’Agostino, most of whom earned ridiculously high wages.

The departure of Totti would have more negative effects than one. Besides the fact that they would lose quite possibly the best trequartista in world football, his loss would most likely have effects on other players, including Antonio Cassano, Cristian Chivu and Daniele De Rossi – who have all been linked with other sides this season.

Having Totti is also a drawcard for attracting players to the Roma team. On more than one occasion there have been instances of players choosing Roma over another side because “the chance to play alongside Totti” is there. You only have to look at Cassano’s transfer to Roma “to play alongside my childhood hero Francesco” as a perfect example.

So as Roma move forward with Totti, their supporters must be hoping that their star player is planning to settle down for the next few seasons with his hometown club by signing a new contract at the end of the season. A Totti-less Roma would be quite hard to imagine.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3
    I was going to say, that there had never been so many Roma threads on here! :D

OP

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #6
    Well, no. Because we'd have another striker in his place, who be scoring all Totti's assists!

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
    Oct 27, 2004
    Cuz Montella has done some really extraordinary goals noone else on the planet would succeed with, and u wouldnt have the money to have another forward :D

OP

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #10
    We have young players who'd get a chance to, who knows what they can do, especially Alessio Cerci, he is the future of Roma, Serie A debut at 15!

But, we DO have Montella!

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Nicole ] ++
    Well, no. Because we'd have another striker in his place, who be scoring all Totti's assists!
    I'd say 30 or 40% of them came up from totti, you also should praise Mancini he made alot of assists..but you should know that other player then Montella wouldn't be scoring this much!

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    I do actually have one authentic Roma jersey (from 2002-2003 season).

I dated this one girl, who went to Rome, and instead of a Juve jersey, brought me a Roma jersey as a "surprise present". Heh heh...

I only wear it to the gym and stuff, when I have to sweat :D

Ramin

vBookie Champion
    Nov 18, 2003

Talking about Jerseys, i actually have 2 Roma jersey's :p .. what can i say, i love Kappa jersey's. I got one fake home jersey 01/02, and the other is authentic Black 02/03 :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)