Tokyo 2020 Olympics (1 Viewer)

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Idk what it is, but Men's pole vault doesn't quite interest me as much as the women's.
too many poles?

yea but it's always a top notch event like 5 years ago when that Brazilian chad made 60k hue monkeys boo the little french fag and he ended up actually crying because of that :lol:

always drama of sorts

Think he is doing it wrong

Last edited:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Young flesh chicken hawks, mang.

Right after the defeat against Canada she comes out and says 'Don't think I've ever lost to Canada'

:rofl: :lol3:
Which is actually probably true, since she was 16 years old when it last happened.

based on her bib, I think her name translates to “young flesh”?
At least put a glove and some lube on that Getty Images logo before you insert it in there like that.

This is part of why I can't get into this, I have no idea what I'm looking at right now. Some mix of gymnastics and interpretive dance? It's definitely impressive, but I have no idea what would make one performance better than a previous one.

LAWD they do be double cheeked up tho :green:

Vanessa-Ferrari-back-on-the-platform-after-Covid-the-video.jpg
I bet she makes tremendous farts.'

Especially on birthday cakes.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Atm, for me, these Olympics are about China and USA. After today the Chinese are winning 32:24 and that's a perfect difference to make the last days interesting, because there aren't many events left where China are favorites for the gold, while the USA still have the team sports and athletics.

Imo, China will most probably win 6 more golds (2 in athletics, men and women 20km walk; 2 in the remaining diving disciplines; probably both remaining table-tennis finals), and they will fight for the gold in artistic swimming (where the Russians are big favs) and women's karate. That's almost surely 4, probably 6, possibly 7 or 8. If they win 6, as expected, they will end up at 38, which is very hard, but achievable for the Americans.

But team US will have to do much better. They won 5 less gold medals in swimming compared to Rio, 2 less in gymnastics, and they're doing bad in athletics where they won only 2 gold medals so far, while in Rio, for these same disciplines which have already finished, they had 4 golds. That's 9 gold medals less compared to Rio in sports which they were expected to easily dominate.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Atm, for me, these Olympics are about China and USA. After today the Chinese are winning 32:24 and that's a perfect difference to make the last days interesting, because there aren't many events left where China are favorites for the gold, while the USA still have the team sports and athletics.

Imo, China will most probably win 6 more golds (2 in athletics, men and women 20km walk; 2 in the remaining diving disciplines; probably both remaining table-tennis finals), and they will fight for the gold in artistic swimming (where the Russians are big favs) and women's karate. That's almost surely 4, probably 6, possibly 7 or 8. If they win 6, as expected, they will end up at 38, which is very hard, but achievable for the Americans.

But team US will have to do much better. They won 5 less gold medals in swimming compared to Rio, 2 less in gymnastics, and they're doing bad in athletics where they won only 2 gold medals so far, while in Rio, for these same disciplines which have already finished, they had 4 golds. That's 9 gold medals less compared to Rio.
Personally, I know international football is often a proxy war between nations. And certainly the USA and the USSR turned the Olympics into a proxy Cold War.

But the premise is tiresome. Maybe it's just me being in Portugal where we're excited just to see someone win a single bronze all week. But the whole gold medal count competition between China and the USA comes off as a tasteless analog of the billionaire dick-measuring contest between Space X, Blue Origin, and Virgin Galactic.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Personally, I know international football is often a proxy war between nations. And certainly the USA and the USSR turned the Olympics into a proxy Cold War.

But the premise is tiresome. Maybe it's just me being in Portugal where we're excited just to see someone win a single bronze all week. But the whole gold medal count competition between China and the USA comes off as a tasteless analog of the billionaire dick-measuring contest between Space X, Blue Origin, and Virgin Galactic.
True, but mostly because it's China vs USA so immediately global politics and that proxy Cold War between USSR and USA come to mind. For me it makes no difference who's fighting to win and I'd have followed that fight even if it was Jamaica vs Iceland. I like the fight to win a gold between athletes or teams, and I also like a tight race between countries for the final rankings.

OP
ALC

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
  • Thread Starter #259

But team US will have to do much better. They won 5 less gold medals in swimming compared to Rio, 2 less in gymnastics, and they're doing bad in athletics where they won only 2 gold medals so far, while in Rio, for these same disciplines which have already finished, they had 4 golds. That's 9 gold medals less compared to Rio in sports which they were expected to easily dominate.
    Very good analysis, do they give gold medals for freedom? Because then America might take the upper hand

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    True, but mostly because it's China vs USA so immediately global politics and that proxy Cold War between USSR and USA come to mind. For me it makes no difference who's fighting to win and I'd have followed that fight even if it was Jamaica vs Iceland. I like the fight to win a gold between athletes or teams, and I also like a tight race between countries for the final rankings.
    It does layer on an extra sporting event at least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)