Time for an Upgrade (1 Viewer)

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
Okay, i've got a wee bit of buck to spare, so i thought why not buy new car radio and upgrade PC

i've done the first.

Now this.

I'm planning to upgrade my comp (a very shitty one with a TNT Riva and 128 DRAM)

now help me

what is DRAM, SDRAM DDRAM ESRAM

which is better worth for money: nVidia's GeeeForce FX 5600 128MB or ATI Radeon's 9600 128mb.

whoaa that was a long line :eek:

anyway, im also getting a new sound card, Creative Audigy most prolly, but it isnt really that important if i use headphones, no?

Im also gettin that nifty TV cards. people say its good. what is it for? Does it mean i can record tv shows on my comp?

Also is it worth it getting a new powerbox supply (350 watt) to replace my 220 Watt box?

(i sound like that dumb AOL user in that joke)

Buy on AliExpress.com

Art^

StrikerMania Champ 2004
Jan 11, 2003
Take the 9600 PRO.

I have it, and im not complaining... Can play games like UT2004, Far Cry, Thief etc.

OP
Dj Juve

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #7
    ++ [ originally posted by abhinav ] ++
    make sure i radeon is pro, non-pro sucks, rather go for a ti 4200

what about the ATI 9600XT

no pro but sounds cool

Art^

StrikerMania Champ 2004
    Jan 11, 2003
    Can you tell more about the card? Is it the standart 9600xt or is it a Ultra.

And for the RAMs, i Suggest you go for the DDRAM (Double memory)

They are not to expensive and very good

OP
    Dj Juve

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #9
    dont know really..i think its the standard one, ATI Radeon 9600XP 128 Bit 128MB

Oct 1, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Dj Juve ] ++
    I'm planning to upgrade my comp (a very shitty one with a TNT Riva and 128 DRAM)

now help me

which is better worth for money: nVidia's GeeeForce FX 5600 128MB or ATI Radeon's 9600 128mb.

Im also gettin that nifty TV cards. people say its good. what is it for? Does it mean i can record tv shows on my comp?

Also is it worth it getting a new powerbox supply (350 watt) to replace my 220 Watt box?
    most of current motherboard is using ddram, it means that your old sdram is no more usable, except you buy a sdram mb.(such as kt133a for amd and I845 for intel).

I like ATI more than Nvidia, any Radeon 9600 is fine, except the SE type.
    any SE in ATI is a crap graphic card.

I never used Nifty before, I'm using leadtek winfast tv PVR now, and I like it so much because Leadtek update their winfast PVR software often. and yes, you can record tv shows on your computer using TV card.I'm currently able to record tv show using XVID codec on 640x480 resolution smoothly using winfast tv PVR software.I've tried another tv card before, but their software is not as good as Winfast PVR.
    if you have lots of budget, consider getting ATI All in Wonder, it is a graphic card with integrated TV Tuner,etc..

I don't think 220 watt will be enough for current computer standards,especially, if you have peripheral that consumes lots of power.
    such as Radeon 9600 or TV tuners. I suggest you upgrade your power supply as well as it can decrease your computer reliability if it doesn't have enough power.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    What I don't understand is that you're upgrading your RAM, sound card and graphics card, but not your processor and mobo!? That's not really an upgrade if your processor can't handle the new gear so to speak. If I were you (assuming you're using the comp for gaming) the first thing I'd upgrade would be my processor/mobo, then RAM, GFX and possibly HDD.

I shant bother explaining all those definitions, since it's not really relevant. Just go for DDR, it's a safe bet.
    anyway, im also getting a new sound card, Creative Audigy most prolly, but it isnt really that important if i use headphones, no?
    I wouldn't waste my money on a new sound card, they're all the same really. You can use a 10 y.o. sound card and you probably couldn't tell the difference in quality, unless you wanted to use 5.1 surround or sth like that.
    TV cards are cheap and very handy (mine was about AUD $50 and yes you can record TV shows on them.
    ati 4200 sounds old. i want new :cheesy:
    It's not ATI 4200 you knob, I'm pretty sure he was talking about the Geforce 4 Ti4200, which is a fairly decent card (i've got it) but it's still a tad old.

venom

Oct 22, 2003
    Definitely take that ATI.

If you are not plugging your pc to hi-fi amp then I guess those integrated soundchips work just as well.

I've got one (old Hauppauge) and it can record but it's rather inferior doing it. But newer ones can easily compress the vid on recording straight away etc.

Yes, I think so, I'm not sure but I guess your machine with new parts wouldn't wake up with that 220W. I just had to buy last week new psu when my old (300W) melted down and now I can recommend you Nexus NX-3500. It was cheap €59 and is really quiet.

NEDVED

Nov 16, 2003
    ya, choose ATI, i have a nvidia geforce 440 go (laptop) and i dont like it... + choose the DDRam, its much more powerful than the SDRam...

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
    I have a question for you people with TV-in cards: What programs do you use to record your shows? I really need a program that can record video on my comp (via video-in port) and compress it at the same time. Gray, anyone who has vid-in, could you help me? I need this for the Euro 2004 comming up...

No, I'm too lazy to try the """Internet"""" ;)

NEDVED

Nov 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by PersianMafia ] ++
    I have a question for you people with TV-in cards: What programs do you use to record your shows? I really need a program that can record video on my comp (via video-in port) and compress it at the same time. Gray, anyone who has vid-in, could you help me? I need this for the Euro 2004 comming up...

No, I'm too lazy to try the """Internet"""" ;)
    there must be a cd with ur Tv in cards containing the program u are asking for...
    anyway try this: http://www.canadiancontent.net/tech/get.php?id=901

tell me if it works

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by NEDVED ] ++

there must be a cd with ur Tv in cards containing the program u are asking for...
    anyway try this: http://www.canadiancontent.net/tech/get.php?id=901

tell me if it works
    \

Thanks man, good program, but it doesnt compress as good as i hoped. What im looking for is a simple program that can capture and compress the video while playing through the compsite in port.

Thanks for your help.

OP
    Dj Juve

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #18
    graham: i already got a pretty got Athlon Processor and Motherboard with it.

guess what people, after reading your posts, i've bought nVidia Geforce 5700fx. :p Oh well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)