Thuram quits France (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Thuram quits France
Tuesday 27 July, 2004

Juve’s French defender Lilian Thuram has quit international football. The 32-year-old announced his decision to quit Les Bleus in an interview with respected French football paper L’Equipe.

“I have been thinking about retiring for some time,” insists Thuram. “After the disappointment of the World Cup in 2002 I wasn’t sure if I wanted to continue. But Jaques Santini told me not to be too hasty."

But now, after Portugal, I won’t play for France again. I will concentrate solely on Juventus now.”

Thuram, under contract with Juventus until 2006, made 103 appearances for France, winning the 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000, beating Italy in the Final.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jul27t.html

Buy on AliExpress.com

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
Thuram Leaves International Scene
7/27/2004 10:52:00 AM

France defender Lilian Thuram has announced his retirement from international football after 103 appearances for Les Bleus.
"I have decided to stop playing for Les Bleus," he told L’Equipe.
"I am 32 years old; I have already given as much as I can for France.

"Other players are perhaps now better equipped than me to play for the team..

"The ’Thuram cycle’ is at an end; it is time to pass on the baton."

Thuram made his France debut back in 1994 against the Czech Republic.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
Of course it is better to quit than not get called up into the team.

Very good. No friendlies and internationals = less stress and more playing for Juve.

Sep 28, 2002
good move. it was probably better to quit after wc2002 but then he was only 30 so he could go longer. but now, after disappointment in euros its the best he can do. he wont me much of a help in germany after 2 years

Ferrari^M

Sep 3, 2002
103 caps.

He must be one of the most capped players...

French legend!

Forza Thuram. He did the right thing, giving the young French a chance and he's getting old, it would have affected him if he continued, if it hasn't already...

Cheyenne

Jan 29, 2003
Good news about Thuram because he can give everything for the Juve cause.Alan Shearer gave more to the Newcastle cause when he quit international football.

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
he wants to end his carrer with pride,and not to stop playing when he will be old,and he will start to suck.

:thuram: i am with him and totally support what he did....

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
i heard that zidane is looking to quit france too.. that's good decision, he should quit too.

(what a lucky player zidane is! he won everything that has to be won in football :eek:)

it's not that he is lucky btw, he's great too. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)