Three thoughts of Euro2004 (1 Viewer)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by BigIzz ] ++

:rolleyes:
That's an emoticon that expresses the naivity of others. Don't think you can use it one me BigIzz.

It's not my fault human beings are corrupt. You would forge the whole thing when you would be given the chance, just as I would.

Imagine there are 3 billion more people like us. Chances are high one of those 3 billion has got it in his power to forge things like these.

Too bad you can't see nor realise that.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++

unlike everyone i suported the czechs from the beggining. i can prove you that if you want.
I'm going to take your word for it :D
Now.. I supported the czechs from the beginning as well, but I have to say they were my second team behind Italy. Like Nedved is my favourite player behind Del Piero.

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by AndriesGobert ] ++

I'm going to take your word for it :D
Now.. I supporterd the czechs from the beginning as well, but I have to say they were my second team behind Italy. Like Nedved is my favourite player behind Del Piero.

no second team or nothing like that. :cool:

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002

That's an emoticon that expresses the naivity of others. Don't think you can use it one me BigIzz.

It's not my fault human beings are corrupt. You would forge the whole thing when you would be given the chance, just as I would.

Imagine there are 3 billion more people like us. Chances are high one of those 3 billion has got it in his power to forge things like these.

Too bad you can't see nor realise that.
Well then fine. Please, prove me wrong. Who fixes these matches? How do they do it? Why do they do it? Who do they fix them in favor of? Why don't they fix them in favor of other teams? How come no one has ever unearthed any concrete evidence of this?

So, enlighten me. How did Brazil buy the 2002 WC? Or how did France buy the 2000 Euros? Did Greece buy this tournament? However did they afford it, seeing as they are barely able to pay for the olympics they are staging in just a few months. Who did they pay off? How did they pay this person (or peoples)? Did they just had the President of UEFA a bag of cash? And then the President of UEFA paid off the players, coaches and/or refs? And no one mentions a word of it? Sounds pretty far fetched to me.

Jan 7, 2004

Well then fine. Please, prove me wrong. Who fixes these matches? How do they do it? Why do they do it? Who do they fix them in favor of? Why don't they fix them in favor of other teams? How come no one has ever unearthed any concrete evidence of this?

So, enlighten me. How did Brazil buy the 2002 WC? Or how did France buy the 2000 Euros? Did Greece buy this tournament? However did they afford it, seeing as they are barely able to pay for the olympics they are staging in just a few months. Who did they pay off? How did they pay this person (or peoples)? Did they just had the President of UEFA a bag of cash? And then the President of UEFA paid off the players, coaches and/or refs? And no one mentions a word of it? Sounds pretty far fetched to me.
amen to that.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Mermaidah ] ++
1. commercials :groan:
Did anyone else get those hella annoying Pilsner beer commercials? I'm so sick of those now.

Did Greece buy this tournament? However did they afford it, seeing as they are barely able to pay for the olympics they are staging in just a few months.
Now we know why they can't afford the Olympics :D

j/k mate, I agree with you on all counts.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Well, of course these nations won't buy themselves a tournament. But globally speaking it was pretty interesting for Brazil to win the World Cup, because they have the majority of fans. So from an economic point of view, surely Brazil had to win. Just a few hours ago they showed on television how popular football is in Corea now and how much money is invested in this. So it was quite brilliant of the Fifa to give Corea a couple of nice results. Just a little bit of match fixing and the profits are huge.

So, no, the teams aren't buying tournaments. Teams are set up to win or lose beyond their will. You have to admit this situation is pretty strange:

before the World Cup: football isn't popular in Asia, not too much money is invested in it.
after the World Cup: suddenly football has become popular in Asia, a lot of money is invested in it.

So would people really want to miss out on all that money just because they want to have an honest tournament? Don't think so.

I know you'll never admit I'm right, and I really don't want you to either. Cause you, my friend, are defending the integrity of football and sport as a whole. So please, prove me wrong. But as long as Portugal (=host) is being given some rather strange advantages in 50-50 situations I'm not buying this crap anymore.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++

at least they know for sure they are the best beer in the world.
*cough* Duvel is the best beer in the world. It's Belgian so ..

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002

So, no, the teams aren't buying tournaments. Teams are set up to win or lose beyond their will. You have to admit this situation is pretty strange:

before the World Cup: football isn't popular in Asia, not too much money is invested in it.
after the World Cup: suddenly football has become popular in Asia, a lot of money is invested in it.
I don't think it is strange at all. The World Cup coming to the United States in 1994 is the very reason you are having this discussion with me. If the WC never came here, I surely wouldn't be nearly as big of a football fan as I am now. After the WC came to the US, Major League Soccer started two years later and now eight years later, the league is growing more successful everyday. If there was no WC 94, there would have been no MLS here in the United States. So no, it does not suprise me that bringing a World Cup to a region would increase the popularity of the sport in that area long term. But football was always reasonably popular in Asia. The J League has been around for more then a decade and has also been reasonably successful.

I'll grant you that FIFA is only interested in making money and maybe on some level their are biases to one nation or another. However this is very different then match fixing. Brazil won the 2002 WC because they were the best side, I watched every game of that WC and it was clearly evident that Brazil was the best team right from their first match. Yes Brazil has the largest population, but they had already won 4 World Cups and their country is football crazy as it is and would have remained so even if they hadn't won. If that was really the motivation, why didn't FIFA set it up for the US or China to win, that is where there are vast untapped resources.

As for Portugal getting some benefits being at home - this is nothing new. It happens at all levels of football and in that matter, sports in general. This does not mean the tournament is fixed in favor of Portugal though. And I don't see how you can have any argument that the tournament was fixed if Greece wins.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
BigIzz, your flogging a dead horse here mate.
If someone has it in their heads that a conspiracy is afoot, then no amount of reasoned argument is gonna change their mind.

I understand where AG is coming from, but can't agree with him (maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong; all I know is I don't think there was a fix)...but it's not worthwhile taking the debate any further man; people will just fall out with each other and it's not worth it.

Let's all find a common team we hate and slag them off together:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)