The verdict - Calciopoli charges announced (38 Viewers)

metalhead

Sep 23, 2005
This trial isnt fair, they should have another proper trial and just let Inter in CL on their own. Roma, Chievo and Palermo in UEFA cup along with the others.

If its a proper trial as its supposed to be we will all understand why we are convicted instead of this rushed bull.

I dont mind Juve in Seria B as long as its fair, but not this. I mean what did they do to fix the system? Nothing, so its gonna happen again.

metalhead

Sep 23, 2005
MISTIMED TACKLE
7/16/2006 8:27:00 PM
Now is not the time to be making certain comments about others when you should be looking to your own problems. Take the case of Marco Tardelli, who has just become a Juventus official, and has not lost time to attack Silvio Berlusconi and Adriano Galliani. It is nothing but a mistimed tackled from Tardelli who demonstrated what a great player he was in his career, but with this attitude less so as a man. Perhaps he’s still hurting from a certain 6-0 derby defeat. It was the May 11th 2001 and it was probably the day that ended Tardelli’s coaching career. The former midfielder should know from the world of football that comments should remain inside the dressing room when it comes to colleagues, but in an evident reference to Adriano Galliani, he stated: ’There is a name guilty more than others but has not been really found guilty.’ He was comparing the verdict of ’others’ who received a year ban to that of Moggi and Giraudo. Then turning to attack president Berlusconi: ’How does it seem right that Milan could be in the UEFA Cup?’ For Milan fans, Tardelli’s opinions are of no interest, what counts is justice and it must emerge with objectivity and fairness.

http://www.acmilan.com/index.aspx

Looks like Tardelli pissed off some people, but they know that its not just Tardelli who's questioning Milan's punishment. Alot of people are including neutrals. The point of the punishment was to punish them with no European Football so for them to get around it blatantly would be an injustice.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
Here is a very interesting aricle:

Comment: Throwing Out Baby With The Dirty Bath-Water

Gavino Nieddu assesses the punishments handed down in the match-fixing trial and worries that the federation has cut off its nose to spite its face...

Just when I think people could not get any stupider, the “Gazzetta Delle Stupidagine” releases another eye-rolling cover story that confirms that intelligence is in a downward spiral.

Congratulations Italia, as you sit on top of the world you’ve managed to self-destruct again. I suppose it is in Italian nature. Like the mighty Ancient Romans did, the neo-Romans have a habit of reaching the heights and falling on their face by their own hands. It hurts to say it, but this time it will look good on them. They should have known better.

In 1982 Italy claimed their 3rd World Cup and sat on top of the football world. It too took place in the midst of a scandal that saw Lazio and Milan relegated to Serie B. What was accomplished? Serie A wound up with lesser quality teams replacing giants. Star players left. Other squads elsewhere in Europe benefited from an open market of players, and less competition. Even the teams that remained in Italy’s top flight suffered from lack of competition as rival squads were no longer there and in their place, mediocre lower tier teams played. The quality of the game was not elevated, ratings and attendance dropped and in consequence revenues dropped as well. Lo and behold, years later corruption cropped up again. Why? The system was never fixed. Teams were just thrown out and the ones that remained kept up the cheating.

Is it any wonder that with this sudden drop in quality in Italy it took almost a decade to bring Italy back to competitive standards? It took 7 years for Italy to lay claim to a UEFA Cup (Napoli). In the '80s Italy claimed 1 Cup Winners' Cup (Juventus). Italy did win 2 Champions' League titles in the '80s (Juventus '85/Milan '89) but by then Milan had had 7 years to rebuild. That’s a big difference from the 13 European trophies claimed by Italian teams in the '90s. The worst affected, however, was our National Team. Does anyone remember how Italy did in Euro 84 in France? Probably not, since they weren’t there after failing to qualify. They got the boot early in the '86 World Cup in Mexico after being automatic qualifiers at the hands of France. By '88 in Germany they were looking better but still got hammered by the Soviets in the Euro Cup. It wasn’t until Italia ’90 that Italy were back to being the football powerhouse they used to be. Are we ready to go through all that again? This time might be worse. This time it’s not 2 squads, it’s 3.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think they should have turned a blind eye. The guilty individuals certainly should have been punished. The system needs significant strengthening as well. To throw out 3 massive squads however is detrimental. The way in which everything took place makes one think that it almost had more to do with overthrowing a major football powerhouse that had simply become too dominant than fixing a faulty system. The sheer imbalance of the punishments certainly points to that motive. So does the imbalance of the investigation. Why were so many teams not investigated after having their phone calls intercepted revealing their active participation in this corrupt system? Inter’s president was overheard calling the same individuals Moggi called and for the same purposes for example, yet Inter were not further investigated. Roma’s elaborate gift-giving to referees surfaced as well; still no investigation. Milan’s system (which paralleled Moggi’s) was unveiled yet they remained in Serie A. Milan’s indirect sponsorship of Collina through OPEL was also revealed, yet no action was taken. A long list of other teams ranging from Serie A to C were also named and never dealt with. Why the double standards?

Only the big wigs of the Italian system will ever really know. The end result is that a few Italian teams will have to rebuild from the guillotine they are being led to (barring what I fear will be futile appeals). The system hasn’t changed or been reinforced and in a little time we will likely have another scandal on our hands. Interest, ratings, attendance, and revenues will all drop while other leagues and non-Italian teams reap the benefits. History is set to repeat itself, and we the Italian football fans are the ones who will suffer the most.

Maybe if everyone saw it in this light, certain bloodthirsty Italian fans would realize that they have very little to celebrate. Consequences should never outweigh benefits. I fear this time they will. I just hope for all our sakes that it doesn’t take 8 years to rebuild again.

Gavino Nieddu

Source: http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoId=94677

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
goggo said:
Here is a very interesting aricle:

Comment: Throwing Out Baby With The Dirty Bath-Water

Gavino Nieddu assesses the punishments handed down in the match-fixing trial and worries that the federation has cut off its nose to spite its face...

Just when I think people could not get any stupider, the “Gazzetta Delle Stupidagine” releases another eye-rolling cover story that confirms that intelligence is in a downward spiral.

Congratulations Italia, as you sit on top of the world you’ve managed to self-destruct again. I suppose it is in Italian nature. Like the mighty Ancient Romans did, the neo-Romans have a habit of reaching the heights and falling on their face by their own hands. It hurts to say it, but this time it will look good on them. They should have known better.

In 1982 Italy claimed their 3rd World Cup and sat on top of the football world. It too took place in the midst of a scandal that saw Lazio and Milan relegated to Serie B. What was accomplished? Serie A wound up with lesser quality teams replacing giants. Star players left. Other squads elsewhere in Europe benefited from an open market of players, and less competition. Even the teams that remained in Italy’s top flight suffered from lack of competition as rival squads were no longer there and in their place, mediocre lower tier teams played. The quality of the game was not elevated, ratings and attendance dropped and in consequence revenues dropped as well. Lo and behold, years later corruption cropped up again. Why? The system was never fixed. Teams were just thrown out and the ones that remained kept up the cheating.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think they should have turned a blind eye. The guilty individuals certainly should have been punished. The system needs significant strengthening as well. To throw out 3 massive squads however is detrimental. The way in which everything took place makes one think that it almost had more to do with overthrowing a major football powerhouse that had simply become too dominant than fixing a faulty system. The sheer imbalance of the punishments certainly points to that motive. So does the imbalance of the investigation. Why were so many teams not investigated after having their phone calls intercepted revealing their active participation in this corrupt system? Inter’s president was overheard calling the same individuals Moggi called and for the same purposes for example, yet Inter were not further investigated. Roma’s elaborate gift-giving to referees surfaced as well; still no investigation. Milan’s system (which paralleled Moggi’s) was unveiled yet they remained in Serie A. Milan’s indirect sponsorship of Collina through OPEL was also revealed, yet no action was taken. A long list of other teams ranging from Serie A to C were also named and never dealt with. Why the double standards?

Gavino Nieddu

Source: http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoId=94677
that is soo How I felt, other teams are getting off like nothing happened, this was targeted at Juventus, and again, Juventus are Man enough to take it without pointing fingers!

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
All this time I was convinced that the Calciopoli investigation was legit and handled in accordance with the rules in the name of fairness.
From Goal.com

"Yet Guido Rossi, a known Interista and former member of Inter’s Board of Directors, not only conducted the sports trial but was responsible for handing out punishments to his rival squads.

"Rossi is also a very close friend of Moratti who is now demanding the scudetti of the last two seasons.

"Does this not constitute a conflict of interest?

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
sateeh said:
All this time I was convinced that the Calciopoli investigation was legit and handled in accordance with the rules in the name of fairness.
From Goal.com

"Yet Guido Rossi, a known Interista and former member of Inter’s Board of Directors, not only conducted the sports trial but was responsible for handing out punishments to his rival squads.

"Rossi is also a very close friend of Moratti who is now demanding the scudetti of the last two seasons.

Holly God,you put it right.

But what about Milan in whole that story?

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
sateeh said:
From Goal.com

Very INTERESTING!

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
giovanotti said:
Holly God,you put it right.

But what about Milan in whole that story?
It is very fishy they excaped charges wventhough investigations show they did what we did too....and about the Collina sponsor :disagree:

Im also not sure how exactly they did that...may be G. Rossi just doesn't want to give up the Milan Derby, which now can be the main event in Italy since there is no Italian Derby, or Roma Derby...

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
we'll have to force a Derby d'Italia in the coppa :D I know it wouldn't be the same, but beating them with a Serie B team would be pretty sweet!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 37)