The verdict - Calciopoli charges announced (67 Viewers)

Tifoso

Sempre e solo Juve
Aug 12, 2005
I don't know, TBH.

Either way, the cases are much different. Nowhere has it been proved that Moggi gave the refs money (at least to my knowledge). You could argue that:

1. what he did, while unsporting possibly, was not clearly illegal (he asked for specific refs to be assigned....he could have been told no) and

2.The refs involved were the true guilty parties (as, again, they could have said no)

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Moggi controlled the committee that assigned refs. Claiming he "only asked" really isn't going to help us :D. That would be as much as making a mockery out of the entire issue. I don't think Italian or European football would accept that kind of amateurish getaway attempt.

Tifoso

Sempre e solo Juve
Aug 12, 2005
serfaraaz said:
but the same thing can be said about milan case the refrees could have said no to bribes
But Juve offered nothing.

Look, I am not naive. Obviously, it appears, Moggi asked the refs to fix matches, but the cases are different. No one was bribed. He asked. They could have (obviously should have) said no. He is certainly guilty of trying to influence refs (if the evidence is true), and he may have to serve time for his actions. But how is it provable that he did this at Juve's (Board) request?

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
Thirty clubs and invidividuals to face charges in scandal
(ANSA) - Rome, June 21 - Four Serie A clubs, referees, officials and club managers will have to stand trial for match-fixing in Italy's biggest-ever sports scandal, Italian soccer Federation (FIGC) prosecutor Stefano Palazzi said on Thursday. Champions Juventus, Lazio, Fiorentina and AC Milan face possible relegation if found guilty by a FIGC tribunal which will convene next week .

FIGC said Palazzi "had notified 30 subjects" that they will be charged with sporting fraud and violations of fairness and probity, according to articles 1 and 6 of the FIGC's sporting regulations .

Teams convinced of sporting fraud can be relegated, can be stripped of their title, have points deducted next season as well as face fines. Individuals found guilty of misconduct face the prospect of being banned from working in the game. FIGC's brief statement did not name the individuals charged but nine referees, former FIGC Chief Franco Carraro and Lazio Chairman Claudio Lotito were among those suspected of being implicated, as well as former Juventus general manager Luciano Moggi, the alleged ringleader .

The announcement came an hour after Italy's national team reached the second round of the World Cup by beating the Czech Republic 2-0 and after the Italian bourse closed for the day. Italian Soccer Federation (FIGC) emergency administrator Guido Rossi told reporters on Wednesday that the timing of the announcement was in accordance with the wishes of bourse oversight body Consob, which has foreseen large movements in the stock of the two listed clubs involved, Juventus and Lazio .

Juventus, which clinched its 29th Italian title last month, is expected to face the stiffest charges in the trial, due to start on June 27. The Turin giants could be relegated to the third division and lose their two most recent Italian titles, while the other three clubs are likely to be relegated to the second division - although Milan is said to be more heavily implicated. All four clubs would therefore be eliminated from European competition next year .

Rossi said the delay in announcing the indictments would not affect the schedule for the sporting side of what has been called 'Soccergate' or, after its alleged ringleader, Luciano Moggi, 'Moggigate'. The tribunal should issue its sentences by July 9 .

Appeals should be heard before July 20, so the whole sporting disciplinary process can be wrapped up before UEFA conducts the draws for next season's European club competitions .

Four separate criminal probes into the scandal are expected to take much longer .

A month ago Rossi appointed ex-Clean Hands spearhead Francesco Saverio Borrelli to examine wiretaps of Moggi and officials from other clubs talking to, or about, referee appointers, referees, linesmen and FIGC officials who have since resigned .

On Monday Borrelli handed over his 193-page report to Palazzi .

AC Milan fans immediately began sweating about the prospect of following their team in Serie B next year, after press reports suggested the club was more heavily implicated in 'Moggi-gate' than previously thought .

Up to now the main suspect has been Juventus, because of Moggi's allegedly central role .

Lazio and Fiorentina were also thought to be in danger of relegation, on the basis of wiretapped conversations recorded during criminal probes and published in newspapers, while Milan's role was seen as marginal .

But according to press reports this week, Borrelli has concluded Milan committed "systematic misconduct" .

Apparently, Borrelli's report suggests Milan ran an alternative to the Moggi system, which the club used to make sure it, too, was assigned 'friendly' match officials .

The press said Milan's situation is now considered to be more serious than that of Lazio and Fiorentina .

In one of the published wiretaps, Milan official Leonardo Meani praises a referee for his handling of a game and even promises that the club's chairman, former premier Silvio Berlusconi, will send him to his hair-transplant doctor in Switzerland .
State prosecutors in four cities are looking at different elements of the alleged web of corruption, which also extends to illegal betting, false accounting, doping and transfer fraud .

====================================================

all he gets is a hairtransplant.how sad.

Tifoso

Sempre e solo Juve
Aug 12, 2005
It also did not specify if the four teams mentioned were being charged with direct or indirect sporting fraud.

In the case of a direct misdemeanour, all four teams could be relegated to the second division, if the tribunal follows the prosecutor's request.

However, if the fraud is deemed indirect they face having points deducted ahead of next season's league campaign.

Underlining mine

Direct=bribing officials

Indirect=asking officials

All the evidence says indirect.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Tifoso Lou said:
But Juve offered nothing.

Look, I am not naive. Obviously, it appears, Moggi asked the refs to fix matches, but the cases are different. No one was bribed. He asked. They could have (obviously should have) said no. He is certainly guilty of trying to influence refs (if the evidence is true), and he may have to serve time for his actions. But how is it provable that he did this at Juve's (Board) request?
That, sir, is a blatant lie. Asked? I mean, seriously, asked? So how did those conversations go according to you?

"Hi, signore Paparesta. Can you give us a penalty in th 5th minute?"
"Sure I can, Luciano, after all that's what I'm here for."

I think Moggi asked nothing. I think Moggi made the refs an offer they couldn't refuse. And offer that went something like this:

"If you don't.... then I will..."

ASKED? FFS.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
Luciano Moggi, Antonio Giraudo, Adriano Galliani, Leonardo Meani, Andrea Della Valle, Diego Della Valle, Sandro Mencucci, Claudio Lotito, Cosimo Maria Ferri, Franco Carraro, Innocenzo Mazzini, Tullio Lanese, Paolo Bergamo, Pierluigi Pairetto, Gennaro Mazzei, Pietro Ingargiola, Paolo Bertini, Massimo De Santis, Paolo Dondarini, Fabrizio Babini, Domenico Messina, Gianluca Paparesta, Gianluca Rocchi, Pasquale Rodomonti, Paolo Tagliavento, Claudio Puglisi.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 67)