The Upcoming Nations Thread (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
We all know that the poorer and less fortunate countries find it very hard to produce world class national teams, but I am making this thread so that we can talk about smaller nations' NTs.

I for one, live in a very small country (Barbados), and our NT has never qualified for a major tournament, but as happens with most smaller sides, they get better as time passes, and I can see this happening with my beloved country.

Two years ago, we lost 7-0 to the USA, but since then there's only been improvement. This year we beat World Cup participants Costa Rica 2-1 and Jamaica 1-0, while we held Finland (I think it was their 2nd team) to a 0-0 stalemate (I attended the game) and Martinique to an exciting 3-3 draw. So if anyone lives in a lesser footballing nation and wants to talk about their national team's results or situation, then they can do so here.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Can I join? :D

Seriously - I would like to take the opportunity here to nominate Luxembourg. They are quite exciting to watch and though I can't see them qualifying for Euro2004, I always follow them closely! :strong:

Read more about Luxembourg here at UEFA's website!

-----------------------

OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #3
    Who do Luxembourg have to compete with in their Euro 2004 qualifying group? :)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    They're in Group two, that momentarily looks like this :down:

Group 2
    Norway 4 - 10
    Denmark 4 - 7
    Romania 4 - 6
    Bosnia-Herzegovina 4 - 6
    Luxembourg 4 - 0

Here's a pic of Jeff Strasser, one of the best players in their team :strong:
    -----------------------

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #5
    Don't worry. They didn't lose to the USA 7-0 did they? :D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Could anyone pass me a link about the Hungarian NT? They were so great in the '50s and seem to be on their way back to the top (at least, I've been told so) and I would really like to find out more!

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #8
    I'll see if I can find something Erik, but in the mean time, what position does Strasser (cool name) play? :angel:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++
    I'll see if I can find something Erik, but in the mean time, what position does Strasser (cool name) play? :angel:
    He's a defender. I have some info for you here:
    Birth date: 10 May 1974 (29 years old)
    birth place: Luxembourg City
    Height: 189 cm (6 feet, 3 inches)
    Weight: 81 kg (179 lbs)
    Position: Defender
    Current club: Borussia München-Gladbach (Germany)
    Shirt number: 7
    Previous clubs: FC Kaiserslautern (Germany), FC Metz (France)

About the name - I know! I'm thinking of buying his shirt! :cool:

Another picture:
    -----------------------

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
    I'll mention my home country in this thread - Canada.

Things seemed to be getting better when Canada won the 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup. They had a horrible WC 2002 qualifying campaign - 6 games, 1 win, 1 goal scored. Also, they haven't played in Canada since November of 2000.

They were again good in the 2002 Gold Cup, finishing 3rd. They've had some ok results since then, but at least they seem to be playing a lot more players, which can only help. The lost just the other day, 4-1, to Germany though.

As far as players go, they have lots playing in many different leagues in Europe. Julian de Guzman plays with Hannover in Germany, and was a regular starter near the end of the season. Paul Stalteri is always in the starting 11 for Werder Bremen, also in Germany.

In England, no Canadian players play in the Premiership, but there are a few in Division 1. Jason De Vos, a defender, helped Wigan in winning Division 2 this past season. Our best young striker, Iain Hume, had a very good scoring streak at the end of the season for Division 3 club Tranmere. And Paul Peschisolido was a bit of a "super-sub" for Sheffield United, helping them to the Division 1 playoff final.

There are a number of Canadian players playing in Sweden, as well as a couple in Norway. And the player in my avatar is one playing in Sweden, by the name of Wyn Belotte. He was with Norrkopping in Sweden, but last year he was loaned to another Swedish club, and currently no one really knows what team he's at. A shame too, because he has quite a bit of talent.

Anyways, hopefully they can have another good showing at this summer's Gold Cup, and then better results in WC '06 qualifying.

At least our women's team is quite good. :)

K10

Jul 12, 2002
    Thuram is from the Caribbean. Martinique or Quadelope I think.

Actually, alot of players are from the Caribbean, world class too, but you don't know cause they play for the bigger countries.

Vieria's girlfriend at one point was Trinidadian I think.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++

Actually, alot of players are from the Caribbean, world class too, but you don't know cause they play for the bigger countries.

i Think Patrick Vieira is Origionally (his parent) Senegalese.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    Jejeje im with yu guys,, my country is extremely poor in soccer topics.

Now we are having very good young talent spoiling here in america, but they are too young.

This guys qualified panama in a world cup for first time (world cup under-20 2003).

Im expecting te best of them in the future. All of them have mi age, and they grew seeing world class players like van bastem, berkamp, baggio and maldini.

Im very sure that they will make it to the germany worldcup in 2006 for first time.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++

In NL we have so many players from our colonies in the Caribbean (and of course Suriname) that we would be crap without them. Just consider Kluivert, Davids, Seedorf and Van Hooijdonk would all be somewhere else if they decided to play for their real native countries! :scared:

K10

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++

In NL we have so many players from our colonies in the Caribbean (and of course Suriname) that we would be crap without them. Just consider Kluivert, Davids, Seedorf and Van Hooijdonk would all be somewhere else if they decided to play for their real native countries! :scared:
    I didn't know that about Kluivert. Where is he originally from?

If there had a Caribbean All star they would be a great team huh?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)