The Temperamental Geniuses: Romario (2 Viewers)

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
'94 World Cup. Romario, Bebeto, and Baggio caught my eyes and began my love affair with watching football. I was a neutral fan back then. But I realized that for the final all my family and family friends were supporting Brazil. I thought it would be really stupid to jump on the bandwagon and be a Brazil fan, so I listened to one of my older friends who was a HUGE Baggio lover. And so it was. My calcio journey began...

Buy on AliExpress.com

Juno

Escape Artist
Apr 23, 2005
i thought we could post the entire series , so here goes : The Maradona of the Carphatians:

The Temperamental Geniuses: Hagi
9/11/2005 7:22:00 PM
In the second article in a new series celebrating the colourful careers of some of football’s most charismatic and controversial stars – the flawed but fabulous temperamental geniuses who make pulses race and heads shake – Goal.com's Gavin Dunne profiles the Romanian wizard Gheorghe Hagi
The mercurial Gheorghe Hagi. There is so much to say, yet such a short space in which to say it all. With one of the greatest left feet ever to grace a football pitch the little Romanian will never be forgotten. His is a name of legendary status throughout the world, with his talent a benchmark for all things great in the game of football.

“Hagi has a natural talent. He is a gift of God,” (Dynamo Bucharest president Petra Buduru).

As with many players of his calibre came a volatile temperament, which mostly came out on the pitch. Many a referee heard Hagi’s wrath, while some even felt it. His most famous outburst came at Galatasaray when police charged him after a disputed decision. Hagi threw the ball into the air, spat in the referee’s face and stamped on his foot. Amazingly he only received a 6-match ban, after the club leapt to his defence with coach Lucescu saying he was the victim of “a shameful provocation.”

“The ref’s a thief. He came to steal three points from us but couldn’t. He does this all the time. The Federation want Fenerbache to win the league,’’ Hagi said before renewing threats to give up playing altogether. Perhaps there was some truth in what he said, as it was the federation who handed him his short ban.

Born on the 4th of February 1965, he was the fourth child of his family. He was given his grandfather’s name, and that of his elder brother, who had died when he was just 9 months old. But they called him “Gica” in short.

In 1966, when he was at the age of two, he was given a strange present. Grandfather Gheorghe dried the bladder of a pig after washing and cleaning it. It is the first time “Gica” met a ball. It was a sign of the times in Romania, “I grew up in a peasant household with the animals," he said. “I’m not ashamed of my past, but I always tried to put my origins behind me.”

With remarkable foresight considering his renowned talent in Romania Hagi studied economics in university, something arranged by the powers that be. Thinking at the time his career would be over at the age of 31 he envisioned a working life in Romania after football. However he is not a man impressed with the corruption and crime of his home country. “I was always a man who fought for my country’s colours, and I would have died on the pitch to help the national team, but I will not go anywhere near these people who are not interested in football, but only in making money from the talent of the players.”

In his early days at Steaua Bucharest, Hagi was courted by many admirers from Italy, current Premier Berlusconi included. Juventus president Agnelli came to Bucharest and said, “Give Hagi to Juventus and I will build a Fiat factory in Bucharest at the expense of the club.” However, it was not to be and is perhaps the only unturned stone in Hagi’s career. He has often said he has no regrets other than a ‘sadness’ he never played for a big Italian club.

“Hagi” or “Hagiu” means the person who should be respected and praised. This is something the great man has never been short of in his home country, or anywhere he has travelled. However when he did leave his homeland after his nation achieved relative political freedom, he didn’t find this respect from Real Madrid manager John Toshack. The Welshman, who remains one of the most stubborn men in football today, was sacked from Madrid - not to the despair of Hagi: “Sorry? Why should I be sorry? He is not my father!”

One man who did appreciate his talents was the coach of the Meringues’ great rivals, Barcelona. "Selling Hagi Real lost their best player…His technique and amazing passes are unique." It was a mutual respect between the two greats. “Cruyff sees football in a special way. For him this sport is a very simple one. When I was a child we did not get to see many international games, but even so, I was aware that the greatest player was Johan Cruyff. When I went to Barcelona in 1994, when he was then coach, I went because of him. It was great, even though I didn’t always get a game. Working with him, I fulfilled my potential. He was amazing - the best.”

Competing at Barcelona with Romario, Stoichkov (the guest of honour at his wedding) and Koeman for three spots due to foreigner restrictions did indeed stutter the career of the “Maradona of the Carpathians.” Many would say his club career didn’t reflect his true genius. Homesickness and cliques within Real Madrid affected his time there, while relegation at Italian side Brescia spoiled the many beautiful moments he produced for them.

At Galatasaray, however, Gica found a place where his talents would be worshipped as in his homeland. Almost going to play out his career in Mexico, Fatih Terim came in for him at the eleventh hour. Terim stated plainly to Hagi’s agent: “I want Hagi. I know well that he is a bit difficult, but I want him in Galatasaray!” At Gala Hagi averaged a goal every two games. Considering he could often be seen strolling around the park this is quite impressive. Throughout his career he was perhaps known more for his wonderful assists rather than lots of goals. Only for Steaua where he averaged almost a goal a game was his return on the scoresheet remarkable for an attacking midfielder. He did always pop up with wonder goals however; a particular goal in the fog straight from kick off comes to mind.

Galatasaray built their team around Hagi; he was the new star in Turkey. “While creating the most powerful Turkish team Hagi will be the skeleton which we will place the others around. He will be the brain, the basis of the new structure of Galatasaray”, said Terim. Fans and team-mates alike would love the little man with the size 5 boots. Newcastle midfielder Emre remembers, “Before a match there was a problem in my studs. Hagi got a special key and immediately solved the problem himself. I began to cry because I was so excited that such a great player was caring with a non-famous player like me.” With a total of 70 goals in 167 games for Galatasaray, Gica wowed the fans, while also managing to pick up 38 yellow cards and 5 red cards.

It was perhaps on the international stage that Hagi produced his most memorable work. Hagi was always the danger man for Romania. Various English pundits and pros have commented how he “can open a tin of beans with his left foot” and that “he has a left foot like Brian Lara’s bat” (Don Howe). Memories of his wonder goal against Colombia in the World Cup of ’94 and his memorable performance against Argentina in the same tournament give goose bumps to many of his fans. Such a shame he got sent off in his last major game for Romania in Euro 2000. "His foul was premeditated. He intended to hurt me. I have no doubt the foul was meant to break my leg,” says Antonio Conte. But that was the temperamental side of Hagi. "Should we drag Hagi’s name through the mud, treat him like a snake because he could not control his temper? Certainly not,” said one Romanian ex- player after the incident. Hagi doesn’t like to think he’ll be remembered for his short fuse. "I know I won’t just be in people’s memories for the goals I scored but also for how many times I spat and hit opponents and how often I was sent off. ... I hope they will remember me as a person who devoted his life to football, fully reflected his heart to the field from the first match to the last. This will make me happy.”

At Hagi’s retirement gala, Platini stated, “All beautiful celebrations are beautiful but this day is a sad one for Romanian soccer.” Compliments flowed in from everywhere with even Sepp Blatter paying his respects: “Hagi is a touching player. He is a very temperamental player, maybe too much sometimes. But this is an ingredient that makes the difference between a good player and a great one”. The gala was an emotional affair with Hagi getting two assists for Romania against a World XI, and all the proceeds of the game being donated to orphans in Romania. A song was even written by former dictator Ceaucescu’s personal poet for the game, although this is really no surprise for a man voted Romania’s greatest ever player in 1999.

Since retirement Gica has had relatively unsuccessful spells as coach of Galatasary, Romania and Bursaspor along with some health problems. A recent rumour has it that he has linked up with Red Star Belgrade’s new president Dragan Stojkovic in a coaching role, but that has yet to be confirmed. Wherever Hagi’s coaching career leads him he can look back at his playing career with pride. His was a left foot that has become a legend until the end of time.

Club Career

Romania 1979-1980 Farul Constanta
Romania 1980-1981 Luceafarul Bucuresti
Romania 1981-1982 Luceafarul Bucuresti
Romania 1982-1983 Farul Constanta 18 Games; 7 Goals
Romania 1983-1984 Sportul Studentesc 31; 2
Romania 1984-1985 Sportul Studentesc 30; 20
Romania 1985-1986 Sportul Studentesc 31; 31
Romania 1986-1987 Steaua Bucuresti 14; 10
Romania 1987-1988 Steaua Bucuresti 31; 26
Romania 1988-1989 Steaua Bucuresti 30; 31
Romania 1989-1990 Steaua Bucuresti 22; 18
Spain 1990-1991 Real Madrid 29; 3
Spain 1991-1992 Real Madrid 35; 12
Italy 1992-1993 Brescia 31; 5
Italy 1993-1994 Brescia 30; 9
Spain 1994-1995 Barcelona 16; 4
Spain 1995-1996 Barcelona 5; 5
Turkey 1996-1997 Galatasaray 33; 17
Turkey 1997-1998 Galatasaray 38; 8
Turkey 1998-1999 Galatasaray 33; 18
Turkey 1999-2000 Galatasaray 33; 18
Turkey 2000-2001 Galatasaray 30; 9

3 x Romanian League Championship with Steaua Bucuresti (1987-1988-1989)
3 x Romania Cup with Steaua Bucuresti (1987-1988-1989)
Super Cup with Steaua Bucuresti (1987)
4 x Turkish League Championship with Galatasaray (1997-1998-1999-2000)
2 x Turkey Cup with Galatasaray (1999-2000)
UEFA Cup with Galatasaray (2000)
Super Cup with Galatasaray (2000)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)