The Rejuvenated Funny Pics Thread - NO VIDEOS (YouTube Included) (54 Viewers)

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Due to the world cup American newspapers have actually had some "Soccer" coverage.

Our draw with England even made the front page of the sports section of the Contra Costa Times :shocked:

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Most people know that it is on but thats about it.

On the bright side though football is becoming more and more popular with the youth. I spent the last two days at a fraternity in Berkeley and some of the guys where really into the World Cup, they even had a BBQ for the US - England match.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Do most people in Cali even know that the World Cup is on?
To be honest, I have never seen anything like this in the States for a World Cup before. Now take it for a moment that I live in a city with a highly diverse, international population that is politically at odds with 99% of the rest of the country.

That said, the entire SF Giants professional baseball stadium was turned over to a free World Cup viewing site yesterday:
http://www.sfstation.com/fifa-world-cup-viewing-event-usa-vs-england-at-at-and-t-park-e908471

And my own city hall is showing all the matches publicly on a big screen throughout the entire tournament:
http://www.worldcupsf.com/

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
There's no doubt that while a huge portion of the country is clueless about the WC and football, every tournament gets more attention and a bigger audience, which is encouraging. Especially in the metropolitan areas, there are loads of bars and restaurants showing matches, far more than say 2002 or even 2006.

as someone said, the best part is that soccer is incredibly popular with children and highschool kids, so each generation brings more football fans into the US populace ;)

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
lol, not quite ;)

Between the large immigrant groups that all love football, and the massive rec leagues set up for younger players has made the game more popular every year. MLS is getting better, building up support and awareness, it's great. It's slow, but definite progress

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 38)