The Rejuvenated Funny Pics Thread - NO VIDEOS (YouTube Included) (51 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I always feel sad at reactions like that. There are starving artists who have been through art school, who try to master new things in their media.

And all of them are shown up by some guy with a Sharpee in the toilet whom people call legendary.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
How do you know that guy didn't go through art school also? And it doesn't matter if you went to school. Art is about having an impact on your audience. :D

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I don't know. The point is there are professionally trained, super-talented people who agonize over their work and they're anonymous. But if some guy creates the face of a mouse in the latte art in his coffee, he's a freaking Michelangelo and people go apeshit over the photos of his "work" on Facebook.

Life just ain't fair.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
That's art. Look at Pollock. Dude splashed random shit on canvas and he's a legend. It's not about being fair as much as it's about standing out. I think that kind of thing only works in art. It's a weird subject like that.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It's not about standing out as much as being populist. Someone gets accolades for being a fantastic artist because he paints toilet seats, and scatological humans who haven't evolved beyond their sophomore years in high school eat it up and call the guy genius. And yet none of them could name a single artist who has something framed in the National Gallery.

It's like having Jimi Hendrix booed off the stage because he's opening for Justin Bieber, because Jimi doesn't write enough songs about going to the mall. How is that not sad?

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
I don't think it's like Jimi Hendrix being booed off for Justin Bieber. More like Susan Boyle being booed off for Flo Rida.

- - - Updated - - -

What I mean to say is, talent isn't enough. You have to have appeal.

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
come on man in front of 13year old gorls they'll be like the fixk is this
they probably woildn't appreciate bov marley or any other bog musical icon.

everything had its time.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It's not even a question of time. It's a question of the masses being enamored with amateur kitch while having no appreciation for those with real skill nor creative sensibilities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 43)