The Official Tennis Thread (18 Viewers)

OP
HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #521
    I'm not even talking about how good/bad Becker was on grass.All im saying is saying that Becker and Agassi were Pete's rivals werent enough.You need to take the time frame period into accouing.Sampras didnt come across Becker too often at grandslams.Hardly ever if i recall correctly.

Sampras and Agassi on the other hand,did play each other 7 times at grandslams,but not all of these matches were played with an on song Agassi.This rivalrly can be compared to the frequency Nadal and Federer have played each other at grandslams so far,and Federer has to do with an in form Nadal.

Buy on AliExpress.com
    OP
    HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #525
    Then again what is easier? Beating Becker on grass or beating Roddick?
    What is easier, beating Agassi in the US Open or beating Djukovic?
    How many times did Sampras and Becker play each other at Wimbledon?Only once.

The Agassi-Sampras argument is there,but you have Federer's equivalent in Nadal.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Its amazing how people are so quick to discount what Federer has done.

Level of competition, different era's, yada yada yada.

Eyeball test, people.

Watch him play and tell me that Agassi, or Becker, or Sampras in their primes would have beaten this guy.

They wouldn't have. Everything that they did well, he does as well or better

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006

Eyeball test, people.

Watch him play and tell me that Agassi, or Becker, or Sampras in their primes would have beaten this guy.

all 3 would have beaten him

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004

Eyeball test, people.

See. Unlike Crosby, Federer has earned the right to be mentioned among greats.

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    and he certainly doesn't do anything better than those 3 players...

Agassi was better the baseline
    Sampras was a better sever
    Boris was a better serve-and-volley

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    and he certainly doesn't do anything better than those 3 players...

Agassi was better the baseline
    Sampras was a better sever
    Boris was a better serve-and-volley
    I am undecided on who has the better serve-and-volley between Sampras and Becker. I think Becker looks better because he had better agility and fitness but technique-wise Sampras was the better player.

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    yea that's quite debatable, but to say that Fed was better than those 2 at their specialities, that's just absurd

IMO Pete would have wiped the floor with Federer, especially at Wimbledon

Sep 1, 2002

Eyeball test, people.

I think you are right. His all around game is better than those three players.

If we throw in Borg and McEnroe then the only thing that could be said for certain is that Federer would not have 15 grandslams, but then again Sampres wouldn't have 14.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005

Eyeball test, people.

I think Federer is a great player, but I wouldn't go and say the "greatest ever". Even Bjorn, Pete, and Rod were like "woah man" when Johnny Mac asked them.

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    Andre? serve and volley? don't think so mate...Agassi only improved his serve late on in his career...and nobody returns the serve like Andre...absolute magic that was

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)