The Official Snooker Thread (1 Viewer)

Manuel

Aug 8, 2003
i'm really glad ronnie won it, not only because he showed he put the uk behind him, as the media should have done, but because of his friendly gesture towards young ding. i watched the final and ding was visibly upset, i thought he conceded the match at 9:3, and when ronnie put his hand over his shoulders it was really nice, great sportsmanship.

on the other hand i'm glad ding showed an ounce of emotion, he always struck me as a robot, never showing any sort of emotions. oh well he is 19 after all, this kind of pressure can't be easy to bear. ronnie's right though, he's gonna be world champion multiple times.
Yeah, it's really great to see Ronnie win the Masters again, especially the way in which he did it, he really played on the top of his game. As for Ding, well I'm already a fan of his. Though as they say, maybe not as naturally gifted as O'Sullivan but certainly a genius at the game. And I was somewhat annoyed by the crowd, it's ok to cheer for whoever you are supporting, but to start cheering when his opponent makes a foul is something else, imo it shows a lack of respect.

Does anyone over here play snooker?Ive tried to at times,but i suck at it big time.
I play it quite a bit actually, even entered a few amateur tournaments. Never won one, though got in the final once.

Ah, if I just had discovered the sport earlier, who knows where I could have been ;)

Buy on AliExpress.com

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Yeah, it's really great to see Ronnie win the Masters again, especially the way in which he did it, he really played on the top of his game. As for Ding, well I'm already a fan of his. Though as they say, maybe not as naturally gifted as O'Sullivan but certainly a genius at the game. And I was somewhat annoyed by the crowd, it's ok to cheer for whoever you are supporting, but to start cheering when his opponent makes a foul is something else, imo it shows a lack of respect.
definetly, it was rather annoying for me as well, even though i support ronnie. at few moments ronnie himself hesitated to shoot as the crowd was still screaming and cheering, the ref had to intervene quite a few times. it was obvious ding was distracted by this, though it's not much of a excuse he'll have to cope with things like this throughout his career, there is only one china open after all.

OP
Snoop

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
  • Thread Starter #163
    Beirut or Aleppo I meant, I play Billiards good, but it bores me playing it, I would love to learn playing Snooker..

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

Because we were there for three hours and the snooker table was available, so why not keep on trying?
    was "i wasn't able to pot a single ball for 3 hours" just a figure of speech how bad you were, or you meant it litterally? sounds icredible, do you have 2 left hands? :D

snoop said:
    Beirut or Aleppo I meant, I play Billiards good, but it bores me playing it, I would love to learn playing Snooker.
    yeah same here, though latelly i play a lot of 9-ball, i love the combination shots.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    was "i wasn't able to pot a single ball for 3 hours" just a figure of speech how bad you were, or you meant it litterally? sounds icredible, do you have 2 left hands? :D
    It was a figure of speech, however we played for a couple for a couple of hours and the outcome was a disaster.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    Pool is huge over here.There are small clubs everywhere.Not too fancy though.The clubs are full of cigerette smoke all the time,people drink,do hash etc.So the sport is pretty much treated as the 'bad man's game' over here.Most of the people who play it belong to poor backgrounds,and becasue Pakistan is a developing country to begin with,the number of pool players is huge.But the players are pretty good.We had a snooker world champion in the 90's too.I dont remember his name.I think his name was Mohammad Yousuf.

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

pool was always a bar-room sport so booze and cigs come in the pack, that's perfectly normal, hash is another thing though. we can't do that here.

Ascension

Sep 16, 2005
    As a fan of Ronnie O'Sullivan I was very pleased to finally see him win a tournament again. His performance in the final was out of this world...

Also I was happy to see the manner in which Ronnie took good care of young Ding when the score was 9-3 to Ronnie and Ding thought he had lost the match. He protected him, took his arm around him.

And I agree with Ronnie and some of you on this forum - Ding could very well be a future world champion.

And even if I was in heaven watching Ronnie play some of the best snooker that has ever been played I shed a tear of happiness when I saw the way he treated Ding Junhui after he had won the match. :touched:

Like our own Del Piero, Ronnie O'Sullivan is a unique sportsman who shows unique sportsmanship. Yesterday Ronnie acted like a big man. :star:

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

Respect to Ronnie
    by Alex Trickett - BBC Sport 22 January 2007

Much is written about the negative side of Ronnie O'Sullivan - how he quits (mentally or physically) during some tough matches, how he fails to talk to the press and how he lacks respect for the game that made him a star.

But "The Rocket" deserves credit for his impeccable display during the Masters final against Ding Junhui.

Sure, he played brilliantly, notching four centuries and a couple of 90-plus breaks in a 10-3 victory.

But what impressed me more was the way that O'Sullivan conducted himself in the bear pit, which was Wembley Arena.

Over the years, Wembley crowds have always rallied behind their favourite sons - Alex Higgins, Jimmy White, Paul Hunter and O'Sullivan. And, while generating a superb atmosphere, their partisan treatment has been known to unhinge opposing players.

Ding, 19, was well and truly rattled by comments from the crowd (as well as by O'Sullivan's sparkling play) and almost threw in the towel.

But O'Sullivan (who himself walked out against Stephen Hendry in December) showed empathy and understanding when he put his arm around Ding and led him towards the dressing rooms to re-group.

When the players re-emerged for the final frame of the match, O'Sullivan took it upon himself to try to control the few unruly elements of the boisterous Arena.

And, after wrapping up his win, Ronnie went straight to tearful Ding, gave him a hug and presumably told the great Chinese talent not to take his first experience of a Wembley final to heart.

He then told Steve Davis in his post-match interview that Ding would be a multiple world champion and found time to give a mention to the late Paul Hunter, prompting big cheers from the Arena.

Make no mistake, Ronnie's display on the green baize was masterful. But on Sunday, so too was his display away from it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

O'SULLIVAN PRAISES 'PRODIGY' DING

21 Jan 2007 23:58:00

Ronnie O'Sullivan paid tribute to beaten opponent Ding Junhui despite the Rocket's emphatic victory in the SAGA Insurance Masters final.

The Chigwell champ collected his third Wembley title with a magnificent display of break-building to beat his Chinese opponent 10-3.

"I’m so happy that snooker has found a prodigy," said O'Sullivan of the player who had beaten him in the Northern Ireland Trophy final at the start of the season.

"I looked the word up in the dictionary the other day. It said someone of great talent and magic ability – I thought Ding.

"If he carries on improving and gets a few more bits to his game he will be a multiple World Champion."

O'Sullivan spoke modestly about his performance which brought four century breaks and six more over 50.

"The balls were going in the holes but I wasn’t in full control," he said. "I was having to hit the ball a little bit harder and wasn’t able to create the angles to make this game feel as easy as I possibly can.

"I’m not knocking the way I played, the breaks speak for themselves, but I felt I had to try and really put effort into that.

"If I had been playing someone more methodical, a little bit slower I couldn't have made a 12 today. Ding played a part in helping me to play well.

"When we played in Northern Ireland it was the same, he beat me there because we both play a similar sort of game.

"I’ve seen Stephen Hendry at this peak, I don’t think he’s as good as Stephen yet because he was the greatest player I have ever seen or played.

"John Higgins has put in performances, fantastic performances against me but that kid is up there. Tennis has Federer, golf has Tiger Woods, Ding could do the same to snooker."

As for Ding's offer of a handshake when it got to 9-3, O'Sullivan added: "He thought it was the best of 17, I can’t argue with that because I’ve been in a state like that before when John Higgins beat me 8-0 in a session at the world’s.

"I didn’t know if the game was over, what day it was, he just hit me with a barrage of breaks. Your mind just goes and you think it’s game over.

"I said to Ding 'come we’ve got one more frame to play, let’s go and have a cup of tea do what we’ve got to do. It’s not the first time it’s not the last.'"

Ding, disappointed by his display, said: "I played well to start with but not after that. Ronnie played very well."

cherryman

Jan 17, 2007
    Does anyone over here play snooker?Ive tried to at times,but i suck at it big time.
    I do sometimes, like all sports I rather only like to watch, but with snooker I even get bether myself by watching ronnie play.

For me it's almost a basic duty every friday @ a club not far from here.

Like our own Del Piero, Ronnie O'Sullivan is a unique sportsman who shows unique sportsmanship. Yesterday Ronnie acted like a big man. :star:
    indeed, was a briljant game of him !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)