The Official Olof Mellberg Thread (46 Viewers)

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Monday it will be the official presentation...
But we and the player has agreed on terms...

Hopefully, they are thinking of a new RB, Mellberg's sale+salary, plus Zebi's sale, can raise a nice sum to boost with!

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Please stop using the word great. Apparently everyone is great, amazing, world class. It really sickens me when a lot of people here overuse and abuse the word. Please look up the precise meaning of the word in a dictionary, and use it sparingly.

Thank you Olof for everything you have done. You were reliable and dependable when called upon, if unspectacular. I wish you all the best as you embark on a new journey.
I was just casting a quick glance through the previous few pages, to when the transfer news broke, and noticed that I'm basically the only one to use the word great (only Juve used it in the same context as I did after your post). So if your comments were in fact intended for me... which they clearly were...:eyebrows:

I would ask you to take a closer look at the context in which the word 'great' is used, as you've certainly missed my intended point altogether.

As in "he was a great professional" - i.e. he handled himself in an incredibly professional manner. I think you need to possibly read some of these posts a little more carefully, especially if you're going to respond critically.

Olof ALWAYS conducted himself with class amongst our ranks, always said the right thing in interviews, and never complained about his limited role; he honored and respected the Juventus jersey every step of the way. Olof also took it upon himself to help Ekdal in his transition - I've read interviews with Albin, where he stated as much.

Mellberg was also formerly the captain of Sweden (in which he had quite a positive reputation, minus one little dust up with Lundberg), as well as for his previous club (if I recall correctly), and he handled his transfer away from Aston Villa admirably.

Olof Mellberg is a class act, and a "great professional"; I stand by that comment 100%. My apologies if that "sickens" you...:lol:

Paolo Sosa

Nov 11, 2005
I was just casting a quick glance through the previous few pages, to when the transfer news broke, and noticed that I'm basically the only one to use the word great (only Juve used it in the same context as I did after your post). So if your comments were in fact intended for me... which they clearly were...:eyebrows:

I would ask you to take a closer look at the context in which the word 'great' is used, as you've certainly missed my intended point altogether.

As in "he was a great professional" - i.e. he handled himself in an incredibly professional manner. I think you need to possibly read some of these posts a little more carefully, especially if you're going to respond critically.

Olof ALWAYS conducted himself with class amongst our ranks, always said the right thing in interviews, and never complained about his limited role; he honored and respected the Juventus jersey every step of the way. Olof also took it upon himself to help Ekdal in his transition - I've read interviews with Albin, where he stated as much.

Mellberg was also formerly the captain of Sweden (in which he had quite a positive reputation, minus one little dust up with Lundberg), as well as for his previous club (if I recall correctly), and he handled his transfer away from Aston Villa admirably.

Olof Mellberg is a class act, and a "great professional"; I stand by that comment 100%. My apologies if that "sickens" you...:lol:
this is a classy respond :juventus:

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009

Why are you taking it personally? It was not at all my intention to lash out at you or criticize you for usage of the word, as you are one of the more objective posters on this forum. It is just that lately a lot of posters have been abusing the word, and it just happens that you happened to be the unfortunate one who unintentionally got caught in my tirade against people who tend to overuse this word. As a matter of fact, the usage of the word greatly extends far beyond this thread, and it just upsets me that people tend to use it (in conjunction with other words such as amazing and world class) excessively, rather than sparingly.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
It's disgusting to see some preaching about Juve's financial situation as if they're aware of the Club's financial situation and like they have a share.

2.5m for Mellberg is pretty sad. I would also like to know why we let him go? He did one single mistake only and some of you are already celebrating his departure? Makes me wonder at times what Football some of you follow.

We bring an old Cannavaro back to the team, we struggle to find one decent CB, we didn't even find a good replacement for our flanks yet we decide to sell Mellberg who has been decent and even more.

Anyway, thank you Olof for everything, a great man, lion at the back, gives his everything on the pitch. Respect and wish you the best.
:agree:

It's really bad to see him gone, while we didn't secured any defenders yet except Cannavaro who is four years older than Mellberg by the way. Every comment about price we are getting for him won't be long enough to explain how cheap we sold him.

I really mean WTF is with Secco when it comes to selling players, I really can't remember that we sold any player for reasonable price. We gave Kovac to Dortmund for free and than Dortmund sold him for €1M or €500,000. We are really easy giving up on our players and undervaluing them.

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
Ariaudo isn't ready to be 4th choice behind three very injury/suspension prone gentlemen. That much is clear after having watched him last season. He is talented, yes, but he still has some panini to eat.

This all points to one thing, we already have a fairly young and classy CB lined up. That, or SUCKO is back to old ways.

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
icεmαή;2042401 said:
I think he wants to get regular playing time considering the world cup in just an year away. I remember reading an interview where he said he'd leave if he wasn't going to get more playing time, considering he'd be 4th choice it was better for him to leave... Its a pity though, he was pretty solid for us, especially in the first half of the season... He ruined his reputation a bit by making a couple of mistakes... What I like about him was that he was never afraid to make the last ditch challenge...

Best of luck Olof, you still have some useful years left in your system.

Edit: Is it official yet?
100% untrueness. Mellberg is a sure starter for Sweden no matter what happens before the World Cup 2010. (which btw, we are unlikely to reach :cry:)

Olof wanted to stay and took great pride in playing for a club of such stature. And besides, he was playing for the most part of our last season, around 30 games I think. Being able to chip in at both CB and RB would always help him to find enough playing time for next year also. This is just a bad deal.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
Ariaudo isn't ready to be 4th choice behind three very injury/suspension prone gentlemen. That much is clear after having watched him last season. He is talented, yes, but he still has some panini to eat.

This all points to one thing, we already have a fairly young and classy CB lined up. That, or SUCKO is back to old ways.
I really doubt that, i think cannavaro is the only CB we're adding this summer.

Secco's logic is pretty clear in this move IMO, Sell a CB (mellberg) and add another (canna) and thats it. Chiellini, cannavaro, legro and Ariaudo those are our 4 CB's next season and probably our 5th CB would be someone from the Primavera team.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Dont forget that we have already released Andrade and we have sent back Knezevic too. There has to be one more coming.
Ariaudo has stayed to "learn" how to defend from Cannavaro and Ferrara.
He wasnt included in our original plan.
There is still a place for a new CB, it could on Knezevic/Standardo level though.

And a last detail, Mellberg's secondary use was a RB, we have been denied another decent option there, when Zebina will be injured and Grygera, being just Grygera, we will really miss Mellberg, unless of course we do smth about it:xfinger:

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
Thanks for all your hard work and effort Olof, you played with passion even if you never really fitted into the team. All the best to Mellberg for the future!

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
The BOD better have someone else lined up. We can't rely on a 36 year old Canna with creaking knees (he is bound t get injured), or on the injury prone/mistake prone Legro for long stretches of the season. Ariaudo will get his fair share of games I believe, but we need someone reliable and dependable. Scouts, what are you doing? I hope they are watching the Euro U-21 tournament, The Confederations Cup, and have at least caught some of the Copa Libertadores games! :shifty: :snoop: :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 46)