The Official Olof Mellberg Thread (46 Viewers)

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
We have so many amateurs, we were bound to mistake that mistake one way or the other, if Chiellini can do that, everybody can do that!!
Point is that we dont have the necessary percentage of quality to cover up for these mistakes, so that our defense comes up bulletproof in the end.
This is why i insist it is a great risk to expect anything from just one player.
This is what i wanted to point by Chiellini's absence. Just like i said then and even the numbers proved me right there, the presence of just one good defender, masks the incompetence of the rest, so does the presence of 2 DMs.

Usually we had a solid DM to avoid the mistake Mellberg did, or at least make up for it and then a useless fullback to make that mistake, or avoid because the presence of that DM and finally a solid CB to fix all those mistakes that has gotten through. This is what we sacrifice to get the solid numbers in our defense, at the beginning of the season.
But it doesnt changes the fact that the odds were against were always against us
and the only proper way to fix our real + serious defensive issues, was to upgrade our weaklings there!
It is just happened that at times those issues became more apparent and it doenst in mean they they werent there up until now, they were just masked!

If you honestly expecting no mistakes from this defense, under those circumstances, then your expectations were... unrealistic...

And why do you focus on the late goal alone, wherent our previous goals avoidable too? Why do you ignore the bulk of our problem and insist on a detail tha happened in the middle of the field, that could, or couldnt be proved fatal??
We conceded 3 goals ffs, not one, from the same pattern, two using the very same pattern...if we were avoiding just one of them, it would have been enough, but we dont have the necessary skills to do, every time we had to defend, our defense failed, it was not an individual mistake alone!
Our defense failed systematically and if it wasnt for that mistake, it would have been another...
If we only accuse Mellberg, that would mean that the rest did their job, but they didnt!

So far we have tried hard to avoid those circumstances that expose our weak defense, sacrificing our creativity in the midfield, but we have done nothing to fix those problems properly.
IMO this what we ought to do over the past 2 seasons, as you are very well known...

I understand that the late goal is the most bitter one, but it wasnt the only mistake we made and not even the worst one...
It is unfair to blame it all to Mellberg!
I agree with you that the problem was systematic and it seems Ranieri has put too much faith in this defense. He put them out there without any midfield protection(only having marchisio there isn't enough) and i don't fault him for that. These players came up against Chelsea and other teams and held their own.

Now about that bolded part, no we were not unrealistic. Both the first and last goals were school boy mistakes. These players are not quality but they are still professional players, and these errors are simply unacceptable. If it was a positional, marking or even tackling mistake it would've been easier to forgive but that was different. And for me personally, it pisses me off even more is that these players proved day in and day out they can do better than this.

Buy on AliExpress.com

cimenk

Jul 23, 2008
Just shoot it over.. how stupid he is to play the ball to middle, made him out position, lost the ball.. and not even make a foul or disturb Langella...

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
:lol: The last few pages in this thread, amazing how some normally sane people get carried away and let their emotions have the best of their judgement.

I mean yes, Mellberg made a mistake in the middle of the park, because noone helped him out. There was, however, tons of work to do before the ball ended up in the back of the net. Have a look at the goal again.

Anyway, this was only his second notable mistake this season (Fiorentina being the first). All in all he's had a surprisingly solid first season for us, I never thought he'd be doing this well. But I guess it's all erased by this supposed title ending mistake.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
:lol: The last few pages in this thread, amazing how some normally sane people get carried away and let their emotions have the best of their judgement.

I mean yes, Mellberg made a mistake in the middle of the park, because noone helped him out. There was, however, tons of work to do before the ball ended up in the back of the net. Have a look at the goal again.

Anyway, this was only his second notable mistake this season (Fiorentina being the first). All in all he's had a surprisingly solid first season for us, I never thought he'd be doing this well. But I guess it's all erased by this supposed title ending mistake.
:tup:

David01

Aug 20, 2006
we win as a team and we lose as one
don't blame him for the defeat, our forwards should have scored more
or Buffon should have stopped more balls

David01

Aug 20, 2006
icεmαή;1948266 said:
Bring Manninger back...
and then what? when he makes a mistake then Buffon back in
as long as we play with human beings there will be mistakes
and btw Buffon made no mistakes
we clearly have problems against so called weaker teams
that's the difference with Inter
They win like we used to against small teams and that's how you win the title
and I believe it's the coach"s job to motivate our team and tactically break down the opposition

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
I can't believe all the heavy criticism Ranieri has gotten over this game. Melberg was 100% at fault. (or mostly)

Yes this is a team game, but individuals can make crucial mistakes! Melberg had no right trying to take the ball past the half way line, getting out of position on his own and then losing the ball. It was stupid especially for a veteran like him.

I'm certain the team was very disappointed with Melberg. I know he's done ok so far, but really is no good when you have that lapse of concentration in the final minutes.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
the critiscm mellberg is getting is too much, ok he cost us this once but what about all the other games? hes not the greatest defender but still one mistake shouldnt cast a shadow over his whole very good season IMO

Jan 7, 2004

i only saw the highlights and kept wondering if i missed something. surely no reasonable person would blame that entirely on mellberg. my mistake was expecting most of the forum to be reasonable.

Juve_fanatic

Second coolest member!
Apr 5, 2006

Actually he made two mistakes in the CHievo match. The second goal from Chievo was also his mistake. SO that means he has made three mistakes this season... just sayin!!

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
The second Chievo goal was a tactical error by Ranieri.

It isn't Mellberg's fault that he can't run as fast as Pellisier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 46)