The Official Olof Mellberg Thread (21 Viewers)

mondo1

May 14, 2006
i still can't calm down.... how on earth can a player lose such a ball in the 90 min? he had all the time to clear the ball he had so many options even after he lost the ball ... i knew he gonna lose the ball and that we will concede...i've seen better defending in the 2nd league... awful..........

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
That is just about the only time Mellberg has tried to play football in his career.

Great timing, Olof.

neurosis21

Jun 22, 2004
great a player makes a costly mistake and everyone is bashing him relentless
have you ppl forgot how good and important he was for our team at other times?

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
No, it's his fault. The way he went forward, the way he got stuck there, the way he lost it and then not making a foul is what only an amateur could do at 3:2 with one minute to go.

To concede a late goal as a result of a presure from the other team is something i could understand. But to amateurishly gift them the ball instead of smartly wasting time is really unforgivable.
We have so many amateurs, we were bound to mistake that mistake one way or the other, if Chiellini can do that, everybody can do that!!
Point is that we dont have the necessary percentage of quality to cover up for these mistakes, so that our defense comes up bulletproof in the end.
This is why i insist it is a great risk to expect anything from just one player.
This is what i wanted to point by Chiellini's absence. Just like i said then and even the numbers proved me right there, the presence of just one good defender, masks the incompetence of the rest, so does the presence of 2 DMs.

Usually we had a solid DM to avoid the mistake Mellberg did, or at least make up for it and then a useless fullback to make that mistake, or avoid because the presence of that DM and finally a solid CB to fix all those mistakes that has gotten through. This is what we sacrifice to get the solid numbers in our defense, at the beginning of the season.
But it doesnt changes the fact that the odds were against were always against us
and the only proper way to fix our real + serious defensive issues, was to upgrade our weaklings there!
It is just happened that at times those issues became more apparent and it doenst in mean they they werent there up until now, they were just masked!

If you honestly expecting no mistakes from this defense, under those circumstances, then your expectations were... unrealistic...

And why do you focus on the late goal alone, wherent our previous goals avoidable too? Why do you ignore the bulk of our problem and insist on a detail tha happened in the middle of the field, that could, or couldnt be proved fatal??
We conceded 3 goals ffs, not one, from the same pattern, two using the very same pattern...if we were avoiding just one of them, it would have been enough, but we dont have the necessary skills to do, every time we had to defend, our defense failed, it was not an individual mistake alone!
Our defense failed systematically and if it wasnt for that mistake, it would have been another...
If we only accuse Mellberg, that would mean that the rest did their job, but they didnt!

So far we have tried hard to avoid those circumstances that expose our weak defense, sacrificing our creativity in the midfield, but we have done nothing to fix those problems properly.
IMO this what we ought to do over the past 2 seasons, as you are very well known...

I understand that the late goal is the most bitter one, but it wasnt the only mistake we made and not even the worst one...
It is unfair to blame it all to Mellberg!

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Its ironic that a "more experienced" defender like Iceberg makes such a rookie/amateur mistake and Molinaro FINALLY gets a good cross in that results in a goal...we would expect smart play from Berg and bad crosses from Moli, yesterday it was the other way around

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Cronios, there are mistakes and then there are mistakes.

The first two goals were bad, but I wouldn't expect a kid to make the mistake that Mellberg made when defending a lead with a minute to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)