The Official Olof Mellberg Thread (51 Viewers)

Thunderball

May 4, 2007
I think a lot of us are more critical of Mellberg than might be warranted at this juncture because of three factors, some of which are admittedly not his fault:

1. Many feel Criscito was given a raw deal, and Mellberg is his replacement
2. Mellberg is definitely not a WC defender which was promised. He was never a world beater, and was not even one of Sweden's better players in the Euro cup.
3. Despite not being a top defender, he is an experienced international, and has been placed in the position of being the #2 CB and in both friendlies and in the Serie A, he has been unimpressive.

Buy on AliExpress.com

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I know just joking:toast:
As for the save if energy, it is indeed a life saver, to avoid having worries for things that you can hardly manipulate or even dont have a chance to influence not even a bit.
Our life is full of stress and this is a right attitude to live more and live even more happily.
Good for you Jack, if you can really isolate all the worries normal ppl make, for the things that really matter for them. For that things that really love.
A respect and admire you view,growing older i have managed to detached my self from many things+persons.
I m still working on Juve though, one of my last human weaknesses.

I love her too much, to stand back and make no worries about her, just yet...
I know it is somewhat pointless to worry, because there is nothing i can do, but i cant help it!
I love this fvckin team too much to ignore her future and to see here suffer only because of the incompetence of some of the ppl that should never be a part of her. The day i will stop worrying about Juve, will be the day i will stop being a fan of Juve. This is how i see it...
But where did I say that I stopped worryng about Juve? I wouldn't follow Juventus news or try to watch all their games whatever the price if I don't care about them, I wouldn't plan trips to Italy to watch them if they don't mean something. But at the same time if Juve fail to deliver it's not the end of the world to me, I wouldn't spill all my day's energy to come up with names for the responsible people and ask for their heads, I would on the other hand look for the smallest positive thing that will attach me to continue my love for the club. Once disgust starts big chances it can grow to become hate and that I don't want to reach.

But we are all different and that's the beauty of life.

Max

Jul 15, 2003
Mellberg has spent a large portion of his career as an RB, both at club and international level. He's also not slow by any means. He deserves a shot there now that Zebina has disappeared.
Yes. In the past, when I'd catch a Villa game on TV, I'd see this Sean William Scott look-alike running down the right flank. I'm positive that it was Mellberg.

It seems that this fact is irrelevant to many. It's right-back for heaven's sake, it's not like they'd be putting him as a support striker.

cyril

Let's roll
Jul 6, 2006
But where did I say that I stopped worryng about Juve? I wouldn't follow Juventus news or try to watch all their games whatever the price if I don't care about them, I wouldn't plan trips to Italy to watch them if they don't mean something. But at the same time if Juve fail to deliver it's not the end of the world to me, I wouldn't spill all my day's energy to come up with names for the responsible people and ask for their heads, I would on the other hand look for the smallest positive thing that will attach me to continue my love for the club. Once disgust starts big chances it can grow to become hate and that I don't want to reach.

But we are all different and that's the beauty of life.
The force is strong within you.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I personally find it odd that we went for Mellberg, considering were using him as a CB, when he couldn't make it into that position at Aston Villa surely says something? Also, Martin Laursen who had a far better season than Mellberg (ask Fred) his contract was expiring too, thats when Villa suddenly rushed to have an agreement with him and not bother with Mellberg. It would have been interesting to have seen how Laursen would have had a 'second chance' in Serie A too, ah well.. Welcome Olof.
People who dont know anything about things shouldnt really speak, this above post is a perfect testament to that. You couldnt have commented on the sitaution more wrong.

He couldnt make it into the CB spot? Seriously? He was their leading defender, that couldnt have been more obvious the years he spent there (Did you happen to miss what the Villa poster said about him in this very thread???). He played RB for one reason only... because they had zero good choices there, just utter tosh like Jay Samuel etc. They moved him from his battleground in CB zone to RB only due to that necessity, NOTHING else (served a need the club had).

If you even thought for a second he was deemed not good enough for CB, when is more or less been their leading defender for years, then who but Laursen was playing CB? Can you even name any player? You arent going to say Zap knight benched Mellberg are you? :lol:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
People who dont know anything about things shouldnt really speak, this above post is a perfect testament to that. You couldnt have commented on the sitaution more wrong.

He couldnt make it into the CB spot? He was their leading defender, and played RB because they had zero good choices there, just utter tosh like Jay Samuel etc. They moved him from his battleground in CB zone to RB only due to that necessity, NOTHING else (served a need the club had).

If you even thought for a second he was deemed not good enough for CB, when is more or less been their leading defender for years, then who but Laursen was playing CB? Can you even name any player? You arent going to say Zap knight benched Mellberg are you? :lol:
You mean Curtis Davies. Well either way.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
FFS, it was his first game in Serie A...ok he got shown up by Gila a couple of times, but he will definitely get better because he is a far better defender...he may not be the "world class" defender everyone was looking for, but he's pretty damn close

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Last time I checked, Gila wasn't a Serie B striker either. Basically a decent defender got shown up by a good striker. It happens.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
You mean Curtis Davies. Well either way.
Yeah picked Zat Knight because that giant is utter shit ;)

But yeah, main point, utterly ridicolous to say Mellberg was not considered good enough for CB, when he was more then commendable there, and moved only due to his versatility.

And yeah, so frigging typical that he gets so much unwarranted grief for just a normal goal that can happen to any defender. He isnt the quickest of Ds in the turn, big suprise.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Exactement, tell 'em E, you watch a lot more EPL than most of us
I always thought Laursen was the better of the two. Though not by much. But then again Mellie was always on the right in the EPL. Who knows? Could be worth a shot when Giorgio comes back.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
I always thought Laursen was the better of the two. Though not by much. But then again Mellie was always on the right in the EPL. Who knows? Could be worth a shot when Giorgio comes back.
Laursen is the more polished of the 2 I would say...his time at Milan must have helped considerably as well :)

Brixity

Feb 8, 2006
Yeah!! Easily the best Italian defender atm. Him and Legro are a good pair. Its just unfortunate people are not willing to look past Legro form of 3-4 years ago in judging how he plays now.. because right now (over the last year), he's been playing blinders for us

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 51)