The Official Italy WC Thread (2 Viewers)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Gattuso: Scandal pushed us on
Sunday 9 July, 2006

Gennaro Gattuso believes that the Azzurri were given the desire to win the World Cup after the scandal that hit Italian football.

“In all honesty, I don’t think we would’ve won the World Cup without the Calciopoli scandal. So many of our clubs are running risks and have been insulted, so it gave us the intense desire to prove what Italian football is really about,” said the midfielder.

“I’m still in shock, to be honest. Perhaps because I worked so hard today, I’m exhausted. The trophy is quite heavy and just wonderful to hold, but I think we’ll only realise over days, months or even years what it is we’ve achieved.”

There will be a parade through the centre of Rome on Monday, but Gattuso reveals there wouldn’t have been any ceremony in case of defeat to France.

“We didn’t want to organise anything beforehand, as only the British celebrate second place. :rofl: It would’ve been pointless to have a parade with runner-up medals. I was so anxious last night I didn’t sleep until 7am and went to the bathroom 28 times. I have no nails left from nibbling them. We were worried at the shoot-out, but I saw Gigi Buffon was really focused and he gave me confidence.”

The Milan hero has made no secret of the grit needed to triumph in these competitions – and the strength required.

“This is a hard-working, tough squad with two real b***s and proved our character in this competition. The win was down to the entire squad sticking together. I realise we are in football history and that a victory can show what the sport means for this country. A nation that has won four World Cups cannot be anything other than a superpower.”

He has been tipped as one of the symbols of Germany 2006, but remains sceptical on his own talents.

“I can play in a certain manner and don’t consider myself a star. I know every side needs people like me, but I cannot be compared to people like Zidane or Ronaldinho. I’ll dedicate this trophy to my grandfather and my parents, for they brought me up well. I know I can often talk too much and over-do it, but that’s just the way I am.”

mnementh

Jun 5, 2005
It's difficult to feel sorry for them, especially Trezeguet since he was the one who stabbed a real butcher's knife in the hearts in 2000. Also I don't see the tragedy for them since they already won everything. But I did feel sorry for Trezeguet for the entire world cup up to this match.

rokkstar

Feb 2, 2005
Thoroughly deserved Champions of the world.

I'm glad all the Juve players played a big part for the squad, especially Capn Canna... gets my tournaments Golden Ball.

Forza Azzuri!

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
sateeh said:
i do, poor thuram he had an excellent tournament and trezi didnt even get a chance.
but too bad some don't. I feel sorry for both of them, especially Thuram, who is defending endlessly before being resigned to the cruel arms of fate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)