The next test: Serbia&Montenegro - Italy (1 Viewer)

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
The 2 full backs are the main reason the azzurri sucked tonight, both were awful and out of form plus i guess we missed C.Zanetti in the midfield, Tacchi couldn't achieve the task requested from him IMHO.

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Aragorn ] ++
The 2 full backs are the main reason the azzurri sucked tonight, both were awful and out of form plus i guess we missed C.Zanetti in the midfield, Tacchi couldn't achieve the task requested from him IMHO.
Italy had an off day..

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
Serbia & Montenegro 1 - 1 Italy

Inzaghi 22 (I), Ilic 82 (S)
Belgrade (40,000)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Azzurri are held in Belgrade despite an early Pippo Inzaghi strike, but a Wales draw means they still lead Group 9.

Giovanni Trapattoni made just one change from the team that mauled Wales at the weekend, as Alessio Tacchinardi stepped in for the injured Cristiano Zanetti.

Serbia were forced to do without star men Sinisa Mihajlovic, Dejan Stankovic and Darko Kovacevic, so ex-Parma striker Savo Milosevic started upfront.

The home side had a very aggressive start to the match, but it was the Azzurri who had the first shot on goal after three minutes. Pippo Inzaghi cut back for Simone Perrotta and the goalkeeper performed a tricky save by the near post.

On nine minutes Milosevic found space on the edge of the box and drilled a low effort wide, then Mateja Kezman saw a deflected volley shake the roof of the net.

The Serbs aimed most of their attacks down the Italian left, where Gianluca Zambrotta and Alessandro Del Piero are less adept at defending. The Juve captain lost the ball in midfield and Kezman failed to take advantage, blasting over from a good position.

Christian Vieri asked for a penalty on 18 minutes when he ran on to a through ball and was apparently shoulder-charged off it by Stefanovic, but the referee waved play on.

However, despite the pressure it was San Siro hat-trick hero Pippo Inzaghi who came to the rescue again. A long Fabio Cannavaro free kick went past both Vieri and the Serbian defenders, falling to the Milan striker, who held off his marker to turn home from ten yards.

Serbia bravely fought back, but Buffon threw himself at a dangerous cross just before Kezman could get his foot to it.

There was controversy soon after when Inzaghi fell under a challenge from Gavrancic as he ran into the box, but the referee ignored his pleas. It would probably not have been a spot-kick anyway as it was just outside the area, but it could be argued the defender was the last man.

Christian Vieri appeared to be out of sorts and nodded a splendid sweeping Del Piero cross over the bar from six yards, but after the goal Italy were clearly more confident on the field.

Kezman was the most dangerous player in blue and his looping header was tipped over the bar by an attentive Buffon, while Alessandro Nesta charged down a Djordjevic drive.

Just before the break Del Piero's curling free kick was well gathered by goalkeeper Jevric.

There was a curious moment within seconds of the opening whistle for the second half, as Vieri was halted when running on goal by the offside flag. Inzaghi was the man standing still in an irregular position, but according to the new regulations he was to be considered inactive.

Serbia sprung the offside trap soon after, but a crucial Nesta intervention managed to deflect the cross past Kezman in the centre.

Milan battler Gennaro Gattuso was introduced to shore up the midfield, especially as Camoranesi had picked up a knock, while Stefano Fiore replaced Inzaghi. Del Piero therefore pushed up as a support striker rather than out wide on the left.

The second half was much more even, but Buffon performed a remarkable double reaction save on 68 minutes. He parried a Ljuboja effort and somehow fingertipped the loose ball off his foot as the striker shaped up to tap in.

The 'Champions' League Player of the Year' made another great intervention on an Ilic cross as it swept towards Milosevic, then Ljuboja nodded past the far post as the Serb pressure increasing towards the end of the match.

There was panic in the box twelve minutes from time when Cannavaro mis-timed a header, almost replicating Sol Campbell's error against Macedonia, but Nesta managed to clear before the opponents could take advantage.

Vieri was exhausted and fell badly on his right ankle, so Lazio man Bernardo Corradi stepped in.

The equaliser was in the air and a corner kick was bundled over the line from close range by Ilic after Buffon had parried another effort.

Substitute Boskovic had effectively changed the game as he found space out wide against Christian Panucci and rained crosses into the box.

The Azzurri fought back and the game was end to end for the breathless final minutes.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
JuveTrueChamps wow that is really pessimistic. An away draw to Serbia is quite good, especially since 8 minutes from the end we were on the lead in a country in which we have not won since 1939.

Italy has enough champions to do well ;)

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
JuveTrueChamps wow that is really pessimistic. An away draw to Serbia is quite good, especially since 8 minutes from the end we were on the lead in a country in which we have not won since 1939.

Italy has enough champions to do well ;)
Why don't you comment on the player performance and give us your opinion and ratings ?? ;)

Darin

Sep 8, 2002
y r u askin me 2 shut up? didnt u want him 2 tell u bout dp's performance ? atleast i thought so ;)

btw, Mrs baggio sounds so good :D

Darin

Sep 8, 2002
exactly u knew that he is baised n thats y u asked bout the performances of the players n u knew that dp sucked :D

u r the 1 who called me that :p

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
No he didn't , he was better than many others. and i don't care for Glenn's comments regarding Del Piero as i told you he is baised. ;)

Yeah i called you that, but i am taking it back, you don't deserve it :p

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Not a very good performance by Italy after the high against Wales but it could be attributed to the fact that they played 2 games in 5 days and also the season has just started so those who are quick to criticise should chill a bit

Buffon, well he is just magnificent and arguably the best in the world , some excellent saves and one quite extraordinary one to react quickly to his initial fumble 8

Panucci definitely an upgrade on his shambles against Wales as he played reasonably better, I still don't feel he should be there but he did not do to badly thisd time round 6

Zambrotta was not very good today I am afraid, started very badly then got a bit better , some good attacking play but nothing like the Wales performance 5.5

Cannavaro not a very good game from the captain and would hav was given a hard time by Milosevic 6

Nesta he is almost always unflappable and a class above mose#t central defenders another classy performance 7
Perrotta was very good especially in the first half but undrstandably got tired in the second 6.5

Tachinardi I am sorry to report but he was poor, he as i keep saying way to cumbersome, no pace and does not seem to give his all for the cause, there was one incident where Serbia were attacking and he just watched as they went into the box and then while others threw thier bodies at shots, the ball came to him at the edge of 18th, only for him to lazily give the ball back to opponent , for the azzurri give me Perotta and Zanetti anytime, aty leats they don't pretend that they are incredibly gifted but just give their all 5

Del Piero also started badly then got into the game, took the steam out by holding on to the ball, not a spectacular performance but a very effective one, some very nice touches and turns, a very lazy free kick though 7

Vieri yet another lazy performance from Bobo 5

Inzaghi was as buzzy as ever and he might not have got a hattrick this time but in many ways it was a better performance as he had to create his own space with intelligent non stop running , unlucky not to get a penalty 8

Camoranesi definitely a better performance than against Wales, did some nice things but has to find pace from somewhere to be right at the top 6

Trapatoni : not sure why any manager would make a tactical change after 5 mins of the second half but he has guided Italy to the brink of qualification so its preposterous to criticise him even if i disagree with his rating of Panucci.

Fiore again failed to impress while Corradi showed once again how valuable he is the way he throws himself about, you all know how i feel about Gatusso

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
yeah, what's up with this defense!?

it makes me wonder whether italians really do produce the best defenders in the world, or are the preceived as great because of the italian mentality and style!?!?!

i can't think of bigger names in defence then Nesta and Cannavaro, yet they seem very unstable.

Also, imagine what Serbia/Montenegro would have done had they had Stankovic, Mihajlovic, and Kovacevic playing?!! :eek: :scared:

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
the team was a total mess last night.. there is no connection between the defense the midfield and the attack.... instead of passing they just kick the ball and hope no serbian leg intercept it... and what with the mentality that being italian its iimpossible for the opponent to score when leading 1-0..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)