The NBA Thread (14 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
College BB is a joke nowadays tho

even the NBA has recognized that it's an impediment to harvesting top talent, hence their aggressive changes to the G-League and other lanes to enter the NBA w/o having to waste time in a fully corrupt ecosystem.

It has it's place for 95% of players though. But the NCAA will be less relevant in the next 10-20 years for both football and basketball.

Whether or not it is a joke isn't the topic, though. The fact that he came back to play, when he really didn't have to, and had more to lose than to gain, is something that made me smile. The kid loves the game, and wants to leave his mark this year, even if it's for only one year. I like that in a kid. It shows that he has heart.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
If the goal is to build a championship team for the city of Los Angeles, then it should not be going all in for another max superstar.

You need to look for sustainability. Just because the Lakers are a big ticket franchise doesn't mean that you always have to have a big ticket mentality. Remind me again of how Golden State became Golden State.

If the goal is to build a championship to make Lebron happy, then that is what they are going to do. Forego everything to risk another decade of mediocrity in the hopes of getting 1 title while he is here.

I think Lebron just assumed that the average Laker fan in Los Angeles is some hollywood mogul or business tycoon. That they know only of the entertainment value of the sport, and not the actual sport itself. As if winning championships isn't important. Wrong. They are as hard working and blue collar as every average American out there. Just like every paying customer from every other city, big and small.

Kobe knew this. That is why he stayed as far away from Hollywood as possible, until after he retired. And that is why basketball was ALWAYS first to Kobe, even in a city with the temptations of Los Angeles.

- - - Updated - - -

And as far as the record when all 4 were on the court together. That's a nice stat, don't get me wrong. But with young guys, you have to figure that something like that may or may not be sustainable over the long haul of a season.

What you CAN point to is that the club was trending in the right direction. Once can certainly attest to that. ANd if these guys come back next year more motivated and driven in the offseason, and god willing, Brandon is OK, then I can see something good happening next year.

This year was necessary, in my opinion. It showed what happens when one player or conglomerate try to manipulate a franchise, and it doesn't work. It worked for Lebron all these other times, and it didn't know. Let's hope this is a reality check.
:agree:

Trading for a max-player is dumb imo, because we’ll always give up way too much... teams will hold us to ransom for it.

With the cap space we have... signing a max level 2-guard/wing/centre could make us Championship contenders for next year, if the young guys come back healthy and motivated and Lebron buys into this project finally and acts like a leader.

If we don’t sign a max-level player... then we really screwed up letting Randle and Zubac go, and signing all these mediocre 1 year deal vets. Someone like Klay, or Kawhi/KD would be immense.

But i’d also be just fine with cutting ties with all the vets, keeping all the young ones, bring back Bullock, and signing someone like Vucevic for less than max, and having some space to build a better bench.

We also will likely have a top 10 pick in the draft so we could get someone pretty damn good with that too.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Whether or not it is a joke isn't the topic, though. The fact that he came back to play, when he really didn't have to, and had more to lose than to gain, is something that made me smile. The kid loves the game, and wants to leave his mark this year, even if it's for only one year. I like that in a kid. It shows that he has heart.
I guess we disagree on this topic.

Having heart for an institution/system/governing body that commoditizes you as an unpaid asset isn't deemed commendable IMO. If his heart is for his teammates then it's still short sighted. We're kidding ourselves here if there are fuzzy warm feelings associated with college sports anymore. It's a legal monopoly that capitalizes 100x on it's players. Economically, it's been tainted far beyond repair.

The one and done system is a joke, held up in place by the courts by lobbyists so that the NCAA CBB revenue stream doesn't collapse within itself and turn into a distressed part of their business.

/rant

I miss the old days of watching the Big East tourney before we all became grown ups and things got real.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Oh thank goodness.

Great news on Brandon !! :touched:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/Lakers?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@Lakers</a> say Brandon Ingram underwent successful surgery on his right arm today and is expected to make a full recovery in time for next season. <a href="https://t.co/9RypFgGp39">pic.twitter.com/9RypFgGp39</a></p>&mdash; NBA TV (@NBATV) <a href="">March 16, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
The Spurs with their 9th straight win, last one coming against Golden State.

And 21 seasons of making the playoffs, longest streak in US sports.

Popovich is the GOAT coach. :delpiero:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
You know the tank is real when Mike Muscala is starting tonight.

Might be for the best if Moe doesn't start. God forbid he play well. It will only mean that Maginka will end up trading him for a 2nd round pick in 2025

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Up the Lottery Ladder we go...........................

Rung by Rung.

Pretty sad when the best news in the past couple of weeks is that Brandon Ingram may not have to retire.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
@CR 7 Did you know that the Lakers are the team with the worst record over the last 6 years? It took me by surprise.

Yes, I knew that.

- - - Updated - - -

The Steve Nash trade was the first domino. They were too afraid, and still too afraid to admit that the team needed a total rebuild. Now that the Lakers have some semblance of youth with potential, I fear we are going to go back to square one.

Happened with Russell. Happened with Randle. Just a matter of time. It's frankly embarrassing that this franchise does not know how to develop young talent. Imagine if Zo, BI, and Kuzma were under a coach and staff that had a clue on how to develop young guys

- - - Updated - - -

They know how to draft young talent, they just don't know how to develop it.

Last edited:

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Randle situation for sure. Still pretty annoyed we didn’t keep him last summer. Russell fucked his own Lakers career.
at that time it looked like the right move. 2nd pick, Zo incoming, Magic taking over, 2 max plan, we got expiring Lopez and a 1st rounder to offload Mozgov along with DLO. but in hindsight, and also depending on if we get a max level FA in the summer, i think we shouldnt have done it. and looking at how easily Brooklyn got rid of Mozgov just a year later, id like to add if we atleast did it to offload Deng. oh well

Clarkson and Nance was a good trade, but all the other younglins we let go (Russell, Randle, T. Bryant, Zubac) look like bad moves, unless we end up with a max level FA in the summer.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Sixers playing Boston now,. Tune in if you like seeing us lose

- - - Updated - - -

Does everyone on this forum supports the Lakers?
Unfortunately most people do. Thank you for sharing my frustrations with having to read endless posts about literally the worst team in the league for the past half decade

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Randle situation for sure. Still pretty annoyed we didn’t keep him last summer. Russell fucked his own Lakers career.

He BALLING THE FUCK OUT tho now, legit gave him away for scraps for real (would been slighly ok if you had gotten anything of value), undeniable mistake considering the top talent he is showing. Helps he gets to be ball dominant, but man, he is taking big strides nowadays.

I mean, look at this:

With anthem like this you have to go hard in every game :D

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
He BALLING THE FUCK OUT tho now, legit gave him away for scraps for real (would been slighly ok if you had gotten anything of value), undeniable mistake considering the top talent he is showing. Helps he gets to be ball dominant, but man, he is taking big strides nowadays.

I mean, look at this:

With anthem like this you have to go hard in every game :D

Lakers had no choice on that. There was no way he could come back after what happened with the Nick Young episode. My point was more that the Lakers get crapped on for how they draft, when in actuality they draft very well. It's the player development part of it where they fall short. And that first round pick became Kyle Kuzma, and gave the Lakers the cap space for Lebron. Not exactly scraps

- - - Updated - - -

So, before you actually talk shit about that trade, maybe you should do some research.

- - - Updated - - -

Sixers playing Boston now,. Tune in if you like seeing us lose

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately most people do. Thank you for sharing my frustrations with having to read endless posts about literally the worst team in the league for the past half decade

Then don't read them. It's really that simple.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)