The NBA Thread (75 Viewers)

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I'm not saying that it's likely to happen, it probably won't, but it's also not impossible. It's all about money and if people don't fill up stadiums in cities like Sacramento and Memphis, their owners will take the teams elsewhere. Las Vegas or even London. This season was also first time ever that 2 NBA teams played regular season games in Europe (London). If I remember correctly they also wanted a team in Mexico in the 90s but it never happened. Me personally, I don't really care about a possible NBA team in Europe.. Barcelona Bulls, Belgrade Bobcats, London Lakers etc :p
Well teams will surely be relocated, but never outside of North America.

You just won't see NBA expansion to Europe. It's a logistical nightmare. 82 games, man - teams are playing every 2-3 days. You can't organize a reasonably fair schedule with that type of air travel... it just can't be done. It's a nice fantasy, but it just makes zero sense.

dodo

The Recruiter
Apr 25, 2011
Well teams will surely be relocated, but never outside of North America.

You just won't see NBA expansion to Europe. It's a logistical nightmare. 82 games, man - teams are playing every 2-3 days. You can't organize a reasonably fair schedule with that type of air travel... it just can't be done. It's a nice fantasy, but it just makes zero sense.
It's just what I've read on news sites, apparently there is little room for the NBA to expand its business domestically. David Stern wanted/wants a 5-team "European'' division within the NBA.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ian_thomsen/02/13/international.expansion/

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/Clyde-Drexler-foresees-NBA-team-in-London-020211

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
It's just what I've read on news sites, apparently there is little room for the NBA to expand its business domestically. David Stern wanted/wants a 5-team "European'' division within the NBA.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ian_thomsen/02/13/international.expansion/

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/Clyde-Drexler-foresees-NBA-team-in-London-020211
:D

Don't hold your breath, amigo. One of those is from early '08, and the other is a former player, speculating out of his butt.

As for Domestic expansion, they're likely going to have to relocate a couple of franchises as it stands - and even after that, there are still a few more available markets they'll be looking at.

A pro league can't just add 5 teams, man. Think about how the talent level of the league would be watered down. A lot of people think the talent has been watered down enough already.

The idea is romantic, but it's a logistical nightmare on so many levels.

dodo

The Recruiter
Apr 25, 2011
:D

Don't hold your breath, amigo. One of those is from early '08, and the other is a former player, speculating out of his butt.

As for Domestic expansion, they're likely going to have to relocate a couple of franchises as it stands - and even after that, there are still a few more available markets they'll be looking at.

A pro league can't just add 5 teams, man. Think about how the talent level of the league would be watered down. A lot of people think the talent has been watered down enough already.

The idea is romantic, but it's a logistical nightmare on so many levels.
I agree with you man, the NBA should stay in North America, it's just that these articles about possible European expansion keeps popping up every now and then. :D

The Kings almost moved from Sacramento to Las Vegas/Anaheim this year, because the Maloofs couldn't get a new arena. Pacers, Memphis, Charlotte, Minnesota, Milwaukee also struggling with lower attendances in smaller markets.

dodo

The Recruiter
Apr 25, 2011
OKC-Memphis game 4 was a marathon.. OKC won after 3rd OT. Memphis was up by 18 in first half, then OKC was up by 10 in 2nd half, lead changes all the time.. crazy game.

dodo

The Recruiter
Apr 25, 2011
The end of game 5 of Miami-Boston series was exactly the same as game 4, Boston choking giving away their lead with turnover after turnover and LeBron scoring 10 points on them in final minute.

Tonight (European time) game 7 of OKC-Memphis, should be good. I think almost nobody expected Memphis to get this far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 60)