The NBA Thread (138 Viewers)

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Debatable. I don't rate Bynum @ all, and Odom, while a very good and solid player, tends to blow hot and cold. He is the epitome of inconsistency. Gasol and Artest, I can't argue with. Both extremely talented players who understand their roles very well.

As for the Celtics, well, I do agree the addition of Wallace is huge, but the guy is on the wrong side of 30! Garnett has recovered, but is he back to the same level of 2 seasons ago? It remains to be seen. As for Pierce, I hate the guy, but he is a very good player, although not as good as he thinks he is. Perkins is a solid player, but I still think he in inferior to the likes of Howard and Gortat. Too many ifs and buts here.

The Magic have youth on their side, as all these guys, bar Lewis, are 25 or younger.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Debatable. I don't rate Bynum @ all, and Odom, while a very good and solid player, tends to blow hot and cold. He is the epitome of inconsistency. Gasol and Artest, I can't argue with. Both extremely talented players who understand their roles very well.

As for the Celtics, well, I do agree the addition of Wallace is huge, but the guy is on the wrong side of 30! Garnett has recovered, but is he back to the same level of 2 seasons ago? It remains to be seen. As for Pierce, I hate the guy, but he is a very good player, although not as good as he thinks he is. Perkins is a solid player, but I still think he in inferior to the likes of Howard and Gortat. Too many ifs and buts here.

The Magic have youth on their side, as all these guys, bar Lewis, are 25 or younger.
That's fine if you don't rate Bynum at all. But if you are basing him on the playoffs last year when he was coming back from a torn MCL, you haven't given yourself enough of a sample to go on.

The reason why I would take the Lakers frontcourt (throwing personal Bias aside for a moment) is for one reason and one reason only.

Versatility.

Odom can play Small Forward or Power forward, even shooting guard if needed.

Gasol can play Power forward or Center

Artest can play small forward, shooting guard, and power forward.

Bass and Gortat do not have that kind of versatility

Enoran

Nov 3, 2007
I do not think Orlando has the best front court, that accolade goes to the Lakers.
though Orlando do have youth and muscles in their front court.

I am impressed with Bass in the pre-season, even though undersized at 6Ft8, this guy is a physical maniac like Howard.
Ryan Anderson another off-season addition is pretty damn good. At 6Ft10, he takes 3s like he's a guard.

Nelson-Carter-Lewis-Bass-Howard, I actually prefer this new starting-5 compared to last season.

On a side note, what are u guys' take on CP3. This guy always seems to enjoy so much limelight going round from everyone's month as NBA's No.1 Point Guard.
Seeing how he was outplayed and "destroyed" by Chancey Billups suggested to me he's no Magic, Billups or Isiah.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I do not think Orlando has the best front court, that accolade goes to the Lakers.
though Orlando do have youth and muscles in their front court.

I am impressed with Bass in the pre-season, even though undersized at 6Ft8, this guy is a physical maniac like Howard.
Ryan Anderson another off-season addition is pretty damn good. At 6Ft10, he takes 3s like he's a guard.

Nelson-Carter-Lewis-Bass-Howard, I actually prefer this new starting-5 compared to last season.

On a side note, what are u guys' take on CP3. This guy always seems to enjoy so much limelight going round from everyone's month as NBA's No.1 Point Guard.
Seeing how he was outplayed and "destroyed" by Chancey Billups suggested to me he's no Magic, Billups or Isiah.
CP3 is hands down the best point gurad in the NBA, in my opinion.

They just ran into a much better Denver team last year

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Yup. I agree there; CP3 is definitely the best PG in the game today.

Everyone is over-rating the Cavs this year; I think that Boston and the Magic will fight for the No.1 spot in the East. As for the West, the Lakers will occupy the No.1 slot, closely followed by the Spurs.

The Magic are impressive and undefeated in the preseason, but the presason means nothing! However, I am liking how the team are coming together as a unit, despite so many new additions. Bass, Anderson, Carter; the new guys are doing well. Pietrus, Johnson, and Gortat will also have a huge role to play, coming off the bench. Howard, Nelson, and Lewis are a solid core. I think the Magic are stronger, and have a better bench this year compared to seasons past. Only time will tell.

Enoran

Nov 3, 2007
The addition of Shaq is more or less geared towards improving the strength of their front court. The Cavs are sweeping past everyone and anyone in the last playoffs until they met the Magic which probably has the biggest and fastest front court in Howard, Hedo and Lewis, this is where their weak C and PF line-up starts to show up. The Magic caused all sorts of match-up problems.

I dun know abt CP3, maybe cos I do not really like the way he plays which is more fancy than substance IMO or maybe its just me. I very much prefer Billups' coolness and leadership and also DeRon Williams' more physical approach.
Jalen Rose is another which I like for the PG role ...

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Are Cleveland over-rated? Will the Magic fight Boston for the no.1 seed in the East, and do they have enough depth to go all the way? Who can stop the Lakers?

The Magic have been doing quite well thus far; I am impressed. Can't wait for their games against the Celtics and Lakers.

Mar 14, 2004
That's fine if you don't rate Bynum at all. But if you are basing him on the playoffs last year when he was coming back from a torn MCL, you haven't given yourself enough of a sample to go on.

The reason why I would take the Lakers frontcourt (throwing personal Bias aside for a moment) is for one reason and one reason only.

Versatility.

Odom can play Small Forward or Power forward, even shooting guard if needed.

Gasol can play Power forward or Center

Artest can play small forward, shooting guard, and power forward.

Bass and Gortat do not have that kind of versatility
For that....Artest can play 4 positions in the lineup. 3 of them effective. They are more versatile than Magic. BUT.....Gortat is startin-caliber center for a backup....and Lakers do not have that. Bass provides power,speed and mid range jumper inside that Lakers simply do not have he is undersized but has long arms and if he can outrun Bosh in the post as he did yesterday on regular basis....Lakers can't match that . Ryan Anderson provides long range accuracy and power on boards as PF....that Rashard didn't provide last year(at least not on defensive part,he's no PF). We forgot Vince that can cover 1-2-3 positions,as Rick Kamla said,his playmaking abilities are underestimated by many. He did averaged around 5 assists in recent years as a go2guy in NJ. Orlando at the finals was no fluke and then....we had 2 overtimes and if wasn't of bad luck....with one overtime in Magic's favor....we wouldn't watch the same film as we did.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
from what I saw yesterday...better,along with both Orlando and Boston. Unlike Cavs. The potential problem with Lakers is....can they keep Artest under control. He did have a history of his own you know.... :)
That's their new transfer? Last year's team was amazing, Gasol, Odom, Fisher and the best sportsman on earth Bryant! Do you know who left the team and who joined? as long as these stayed, nothing should change, wish if they play earlier thou, the timing sucks :groan:

Mar 14, 2004
That's their new transfer? Last year's team was amazing, Gasol, Odom, Fisher and the best sportsman on earth Bryant! Do you know who left the team and who joined? as long as these stayed, nothing should change, wish if they play earlier thou, the timing sucks :groan:
Yupp,they gave Ariza to houston for him....that's only major difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 8, Guests: 128)