the mystery of soccer (1 Viewer)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Long ago, hockey used to be my favorite sport. (Then the Minnesota North Stars moved to Dallas of all godforsaken hockey cesspools.)

Hockey as a sport is significantly diminished by its allowance, and encouragement, of fighting. The big, dirty secret of course being that the NHL (though there certainly are other hockey leagues...) is deathly afraid of eliminating an entire swath of their shaky fanbase by coming down hard on fighting.

But as far as I'm concerned, screw those guys. Get them outta the hockey stadium and send them to the professional wrestling pit where they belong. Preserving fighting in hockey is as absurd as preserving car crashes in auto racing.

Of course, football has its own liabilities -- namely all the dives. The 2002 WC must have looked like a ballet to most casual observers. I know it did to me. I'm glad to see the "simulation" rule being put into effect (as poor as the call was in the first Porto-Depor CL game yesterday). But divemasters should be wearing Speedos, not cleats.

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
btw Don, must be tough for you not liking hockey, considering where you're from :D
I know Canadians; I've lived with Canadians. In fact, some of my best friends are Canadians. ;)

Ironically, they hate hockey. It is too Canadian. But they loved curling (how do women learn to squeal like that?? :shocked: ) and CFL/the Blue Bombers (being 'Peggers and all).

But isn't lacrosse the real national sport?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)