The Hobbit (1 Viewer)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
From Indiaexpress.com

Rings director wants to bring Hobbit to screen

New Zealand film director Peter Jackson, tipped to win an Oscar for his The Lord Of The Rings epic, said recently that he would like to make The Hobbit prequel to the trilogy and work with some of the same actors again.

Jackson said he was sad but also relieved that the mammoth project he has worked on for seven years was over. “I’m glad there’s not a fourth Lord of the Rings film next year,” he said. “I feel very tired and exhausted.” “I’ve been working very hard this year. It was the hardest year of the whole seven really,” he said, adding that the last part had twice as many computer-generated shots as the second, The Two Towers, which won an Oscar for digital effects. “It’s my favourite because it has a stronger emotional depth than the other two films it has a sense of closure,” he said.

Despite his exhaustion, Jackson is not resting on his laurels and said if complex rights issues can be resolved he would like to direct The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkin’s prequel to the Rings trilogy set some 50 years earlier. “I’d be interested in doing it because I think it would give continuity to the overall chapter,” he said. While many of the lead Rings characters do not appear in The Hobbit story, the wizard Gandalf, played by Ian McKellen and Gollum, the cave dweller corrupted by the powerful ring, do and should make a comeback. Arwen, the elf princess played by Liv Tyler, could also feature again, Jackson said.

Jackson made movie history by filming all the three parts of the Rings trilogy simultaneously. The first two films have earned a combined $ 1.8 billion and won a total of six Oscars. Barrie Osborne, the producer of the trilogy, and Philippa Boyens, the writer, both said they hoped for more Oscars for the third installment, especially one for Jackson’s directing. “The film is a memorable film that will stand the test of time and be around forever and ever. However winning depends on what’s happening in the world, what other films are out there that you’re competing with,” Osborne said. Boyens added: “Peter didn’t make these films to win an Oscar...It’s always been really hard for fantasy films or films perceived as fantasy to get that kind of acknowledgement.”

Jackson, 42, has certainly not let fame go to his head. He met journalists in an upmarket Berlin hotel barefoot and wearing a faded shirt and threadbare shorts. While he said Rings was the hardest thing he would ever do, more challenges await. “I just love making movies. I have done since I was seven years old,” he said. Jackson will take a few weeks off over Christmas and then start writing the script for his next project, a remake of the classic King Kong which, like the Rings, he will also film in New Zealand, using the same team of special effects experts. Richard Taylor, whose special effects workshop made 48,000 props for the trilogy and whose work earned two Oscars, says King Kong will be even better than Lord of the Rings. “I have every aspiration to make King Kong much cooler,” he said. “It’s going to be a very beautiful film.”

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #4
    I can't remember Arwen in the Hobbit...looks like he's already rewritting the book to suit himself again before he's even started a script.

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #7
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
    I know..I know ..

I was agreeing with you, and rolling the eyes at her inclusion.
    You know...I'll still stand in line to watch it anyway...even with the changes:angel:

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #8
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    tristar has yet to give him the money for it.

Any betting they wont?:D

He could probably fund it himself with his share of the LOTR profits...and good luck to him.:cool:

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++
    You know...I'll still stand in line to watch it anyway...even with the changes:angel:
    Yeah, me too of course. I couldn't NOT watch it, regardless of reviews, or what I thought it would be like. Fot heavens sake this is THE HOBBIT we're talking about here! A must see film by all accounts, just as LOTR was

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    love the sarcasm ;)

but i would love to see how the Hobbit became Smeagol..and how they tortured him..will be good to do on younger siblings :devil:

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #12
    ++ [ originally posted by -CSD- ] ++
    love the sarcasm ;)

but i would love to see how the Hobbit became Smeagol..and how they tortured him..will be good to do on younger siblings :devil:
    Sarcasm:confused:

As for smeagol...watch the ROTK, as there is a ten minute intro which explains all these things:cool:

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    cool..its alright I don't mind knowing... I mean if it roughly follows the book then I have some idea what to expect anyway

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #18
    Briefly... Gandalf and Bilbo, together with a group of dwarfs, set off on an adventure to kill a dragon and reclaim a dwarf kingdom, along with it's wealth.
    Along the way Bilbo encounters Gollum and accidently manages to get the ring from him, and they all live happily ever after...not :D

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #19
    wait, so smeagol killed that deagol guy, got the ring and suddenly he became gollum? how?
    Not suddenly. Gollum is hundreds of years old remember... the ring gives the bearer long life, if not eternal life. Over the centuries Gollum changes from a hobbit like creature into what you see him as in the movies, or as described in the books, as a result of the corruptive power of the ring...simple:D

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
    wait, so smeagol killed that deagol guy, got the ring and suddenly he became gollum? how?

and even if they do make a hobbit movie, whats the storyline anyway?
    gullum had the ring for 500 years before he lost it.. it corrupted him, as roverboy explained..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)