The Greatest World Cup? (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
2002 definitely

1. Korea made it to the semis
2. I could watch the games because they were in a suitable timeframe for once

:p

Okay, objectively though: I enjoyed 94, and the latter stages of 98 produced some good drama

venom

Oct 22, 2003
I've saw WC's since '90. Most memorable moments for me have been that penalty kick in '94, penalty shoot-out ITA-ARG in '90 and Vialli's injury during those finals. That sums it up for me. Only bits and pieces from here and there and the rest is about politics not sports. But that doesn't mean that I won't be watching the upcoming tournaments.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by venom ] ++
Only bits and pieces from here and there and the rest is about politics not sports.
IMHO it's about politics when people make it about politics. Just don't look so deeply into things, it's just sport :)

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
Respaulie, if you dont mind me asking, how old are you? :)

I've seen 94, 98...well we all know 02 was crap..

so theres not much...i say the best was 98 but the best major tournament is Euro 96

whatta final for the GKs :D

Aug 1, 2003
i have only seen 98 and 02, 98 was okay, 02 was vomit-standard, and I wasn't even born yet but I think the 82 was excellent even though I havent seen it :D

the 34 and 38 were corrupt

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
90 was my faverite of the lot. Schillacci and Baggio murdered the opposition. And Italy were by far the best team in that WC imo. Unfortunately it set a precedent of them losing out on penalties in the 3 ensuing world cups.

94 was good. Thanks to Roberto.

98 was sad.

02 was probably the worst of the lot. More than the fact that Italy played bad and were unlucky as well there just seemed to be something more to it. Maybe it was hard to come to terms with the fact that most of the faverites got knocked out in the qualifying stages. And that was sad, Although its great to see a greater balance in world football with tthere being nuthg to chhoose between msot teams. It would have been a lot better and a lot more quality driven had the top contenders been around in the latter stages.

venom

Oct 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
IMHO it's about politics when people make it about politics. Just don't look so deeply into things, it's just sport :)
That's just me being cynical as always, but yes, when matches are on I'll forget all the backstage activity - that's why there's the halftime and the resting days :devil:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
'94 was the best for me on a physical level, because I went to a couple of matches.

'82 was the best on an emotional level, for obvious reasons. (Italian American)

I never heard the end of it from my friends in '90, and '02 was utterly forgetable, except for the US doing well in the tournament

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by -Z- ] ++
49 or 59? Wow, you're even older than Serge :D ;)
Do you have this sixth sense or something that allow you to know at what exact time I'm going to be on a particular thread?

And no "I see old people" jokes either.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by -Z- ] ++
49 or 59? Wow, you're even older than Serge :D ;)

Just kidding mate, you know I respect you :)
he he

549 had no real relation to shadowfax's age (respauls.. yes:D)

Allthough people do do it...

If you bear in mind that my daughter is 8 years old and my second child is minus 5.5 months... then its unlikely im either 49 or 59... no?:D

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
@Serge: Yeah, I have a sixth sense just for you mate ;)

Nah, I'm just checking in before I go to sleep, it's 12 am here, and it's a school night. I havent slept in a long time, I'm beggining to see old people everywhere... :scared:

(yeah, I know, I know, I'll get my coat :D )

Anyways, on topic, IMO the greatest world cup for me was the 94 one. I was a huge fan of Romario and I really enjoyed watching the Brazilian NT. I remember while I was in Croatia I was collecting the player cards, and Romario was the most valuable one and I just couldnt get it. Then suddenly, one day I'm walking down the street and I see it on the ground in front of me, intact!!! It was really a tocuhing moment, it was the last one I needed :touched: (well, not really the last one, but I had to add that for dramatic effect :D I did really find it on the ground tho). And to top the WC off, I got to watch the finals in Sarajevo, having returned after not seeing my dad for almost 2 years. :touched:

@shadowfax: I thought you ment 49 or 59 but made a typo ;)

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
the 94 in us was great.. so many players appeared with class and talent. Romario, Branco from brazil.. Baggio from italy.. Stojchkov (spelling :confused: ) from Bulgary.. Nigerian NT..
it was a great tournament..

the 90 was great also.. I saw some of the matches on tape.. great performance from most of the teams..
and it was the 1st time that My NT qualify for the WC.. and the last time..

1998, Zidane time.. it was ok.. some matches were fine..

2002, the worst WC ever.. first of all, zcheck NT, Holland NT were not there.. France, argentina were K.O from the first round.. dramatic quit for italy and spain.. the worst team in the tournament reached the final.. and fortunately didn't win it..

Sid

Nov 10, 2003
WC 98 & 02 cause Inzaghi participant, but Azzurri never make it to the final:down:

Damn Koreans:groan:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Sidz-Inzaghi ] ++
WC 98 & 02 cause Inzaghi participant, but Azzurri never make it to the final:down:

Damn Koreans:groan:
Hey, that's not very nice :frown:

Damn Ecuadorians is more like it :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)