The Great Era of solid defenders is almost over... (1 Viewer)

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
Apr 22, 2005
Nowadays its hard to find decent defenders like the great ones that were here a decade ago. A whole new breed of young defenders has risen,but none will amount to the legends of the past and the legends that are finishing off thier last years.

Maldini
R.Carlos
Cannavaro
Thuram
J.Stam
Cafu
Terry
Puyol

i may have missed many but you get what i mean. The question now is who will be the next maldini? R.Carlos? or for the matter the next big time defender?
looking at the current players I really feel that they are not as disciplned like the old timers. That really is a scary thought, because we will no longer see great defending..i dont even want to start with the legends

1- Franz Beckenbauer (Germany)
2- Nilton Santos ( Brazil)
3- Bobby Moore (England )
4- Carrizzo ( Uruguay )
5- Franco Baresi (Italy )
6- Elias Figueroa ( Chile )
7- Domingos da Guia ( Brazil)
8- Djalma Santos ( Brazil)
9-Paolo Scirea ( Italy )

Anyone on the same Frequency please comment...

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Terry is only 25 AFAIK, and btw defendoing nowdays is done collectivly IMO, more as a team and through tactics, and IMO todays defences are much tougher to crack than those of the past, so IMO your post can be dabated. True, we probably wont have such high profile defenders, but IMO more defnders are defending well, so it isnt as easy to stick out.

But then again I've been studying all day so I might not be thinking straight.

OP
Hambon

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
Apr 22, 2005
  • Thread Starter #5
    then delete the damn thread....i just miss good defenders thats all....bite me..hehe

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
    Nov 1, 2004
    I agree with Hambon on this one. Defenders nowadays are well...

Did you see Ferdinand's display against Man City? And to think that he's the world's most expensive defender!

OP
    Hambon

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
    Apr 22, 2005
  • Thread Starter #8
    my man chxta feels me.....defenders nowadays are not aaahhh you know world class....i feel their only purpose is to be as technically superiour & physical as defenders and are forgeting the whole art of being a class defender

most of the defenders today are v. lazy and not as passionate thats all i am saying

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    I think its very hard for a young defender to become a legend over night...i mean look, defenders usually play longer football and imo defenders become better and better over the years with expierences....big teams doesnt usually buy young defenders...they buy some who already have shown some quality and have expierence....(like juve with cannavaro)

But i dont think the era is over....dont compare those with someone like rio ferdidand or terry or whoever......i think when it comes to italian football and seria a...then here the team focus on defens....even if teams have forwards like trezeguet, shevchenko or whoever will come.....and i dont think that will end....the strategy of teams like juve and milan has been always related with defens....

So to answer to you....why its hard to find decent defenders...is mainly because those who you put on your list play for big teams and teams who pay attention to defens........i am sure transfergurus can find also new good defenders in the future.....

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    hambon said:
    my man chxta feels me.....defenders nowadays are not aaahhh you know world class....i feel their only purpose is to be as technically superiour & physical as defenders and are forgeting the whole art of being a class defender

most of the defenders today are v. lazy and not as passionate thats all i am saying

Its because those "not worldclass" defenders play for clubs who doesnt pay attention to their defens so much......

You made this topic like you know about all the world new young defenders...and know that they all s-ck ? how you know it? You watch so much football? You watch juve youths?

OP
    Hambon

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
    Apr 22, 2005
  • Thread Starter #11
    i do watch football vividly....but back in my days those defenders that i named were known from the start as stars.....i know i might be speculating but i have yet to see a bunch of quality defenders that can be somewhat compared to them...thats all

mabey we can start by naming some of these starlets and see how they will do in a couple years or so....you never know??

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    Also...have you watched for example u-18 and u-17 football tournaments? I have seen some matches and i usually watch italy games....though i dont pay usually attention when next youth tournament is...sometimes just have seen....and if i am right then last year was somekind of tournament...and if i am right italy got to semis and the gameplay was defensiv imo....imo italy NT is always about defens, in a way it makes me worry because when i saw those youth team games then well it looked like too defensive.....thats something what i dont want....i mean its good when team is playing strong in defens...but if weak in attack then its not good....i mean what f-cking strategy it is if you are only defending....in football you need to score....and i dont like if team plays so unconvicingly.....you need to score to go on.....

OP
    Hambon

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
    Apr 22, 2005
  • Thread Starter #13
    true we need to score....but shutting out the othersides chances also wins games...

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    hambon said:
    i do watch football vividly....but back in my days those defenders that i named were known from the start as stars.....i know i might be speculating but i have yet to see a bunch of quality defenders that can be somewhat compared to them...thats all
    mabey we can start by naming some of these starlets and see how they will do in a couple years or so....you never know??

Thats moustly because those BIG NAMES play for teams who are strong in defens(milan,juve some other european teams and ofcourse some more italian club teams)

Those other(that bunch of quality what you are looking) arent playing in teams whos tactic is a strong defens....and also...you cant hope those young new defenders play in one team(right now)....i mean you might have one good fellow in some holland club, other in some spanish club and other in italian club......the problem is to find those guys and get them to one team........

But i dont know....i wouldnt worry about that....i am sure italian youth clubs pay attention to defens and there defenelty are players who might be next stars....

Some already rate guys like zaccardo and grosso and some more....though i dont know how old they actually are......

Moustly why we dont see those new young guys, is because they havent had chanse to play in teams who pay attention to defens...and thats because guys like maldini, cannavaro, thuram and etc are still there and playing with topquality....

OP
    Hambon

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
    Apr 22, 2005
  • Thread Starter #16
    ya thats true...good point.....i really want to see big names soon...cuz all the greats will be retiring within 4 years or less...hope them youth teams grow some defenders over night..hehe

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    also many rate that kompany guy highly...if i am right mourinho was interested of him.....news came about this when kompany club met chelsea in CL.....i dont remember where kompany plays right now.....

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    Zlatan said:
    Terry is only 25 AFAIK, and btw defendoing nowdays is done collectivly IMO, more as a team and through tactics, and IMO todays defences are much tougher to crack than those of the past, so IMO your post can be dabated. True, we probably wont have such high profile defenders, but IMO more defnders are defending well, so it isnt as easy to stick out.

But then again I've been studying all day so I might not be thinking straight.
    Dude what happened to your spelling?? Dabated?? Defendoing??

Too much burke??:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)