The Formula 1 thread - Season 2005 (13 Viewers)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Fact is that the man is a 7 times world champion, and, by the statistics, the best driver ever.

Like him or not, fact is that he is one hell of a driver, probably much better than all of todays drivers, including Alonso, Raikonen or Montoya.

Altho I rate Raikonen highly as a driver.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
Not only is he a champion Zlatan, IMO he is also the best driver on a wet track.

Aaaah, yes, the best driver on wet since Senna, maybe even better than him.

That reminds me, I really can't remember the last time we had a wet race...

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Juve_The_Best ] ++

hehe...... since when ?

Since he was a bastard could not win the championship in 94 till he hit Damon hill's car at the final lap just to win a stupid champoinship while he was behind him on that race ?

or since the real legend Arton Senna death ?

Dont worry the next race will be at Hockenheim in Germany (24th of july) and we will see ur legend how can he preform ?
Since when??? Wake Up, dude. Just look at his titles and Records, then I'll tell ya since when.

About Damon's hit, they both made a mistake From not keepin a space between them.

Senna is a Legend and we all know that, but not even close to Shumy.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++

Aaaah, yes, the best driver on wet since Senna, maybe even better than him.

That reminds me, I really can't remember the last time we had a wet race...
Maybe that's why Schumi hasn't really had a chance to demonstrate his prowess this season.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
You could say that, but he's always won in inferior cars.When he moved to Ferrari from Benetton McLaren had the best cars, then Williams were the fastest down the straights.

Last year Ferrari had the best car but otherwise Schumi has had alot of success in slower cars compared to his rivals.Maybe he should have seriously considered retiring at the beginning of the season like many said he would.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
True, but I believe that this years car is more inferior than his previous ones, and espeically the tires, which might be the biggest reason for their lack of success.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
Schumi just doesnt have the conservative driving style IMO which is the other reason aside to having a slower car. His style in the past is known for heavily wearing the tires out, now that he has to maintain his tires and drive more smoothly I think its effecting him.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
True, but I believe that this years car is more inferior than his previous ones, and espeically the tires, which might be the biggest reason for their lack of success.
That is very true.A good set of tyres can save you more time than a whole pre season of testing around the Monza track; tweaking suspensions,downforce and wing/fin heights will probably save you tenths of a second at most, but with tyres you're talking about whole seconds off a lap time.

With the new rules about a single set of tyres being used for an entire race Ferrari may have to decide to follow the crowd at long last.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
I agree. IMO they should switch to Michelins and at leat be on a lvele playing field with the tyres, and then work to improve the car.

It's bad enough to have to create a fast car, let alone having to make it one second faster than other just to be at the same level because of the tyres.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
That's what they're working on. Eventually the regulations are going to imply a unanimous tyre supplier through all rungs. At least that way, some level of compeition can be maintained.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++
That's what they're working on. Eventually the regulations are going to imply a unanimous tyre supplier through all rungs. At least that way, some level of compeition can be maintained.
Now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense to standardize the F1 tyre supplier.

Its a competition between the racing teams, not Bridgestone and Michelin.If tyres could decide the outcome of races and ultimately championships, they may as well introduce a Tyre Suppliers' Championship. :groan:

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #237
    ++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++

Now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense to standardize the F1 tyre supplier.

Its a competition between the racing teams, not Bridgestone and Michelin.If tyres could decide the outcome of races and ultimately championships, they may as well introduce a Tyre Suppliers' Championship. :groan:
    The Tyre Championship was there and it was taken away in the 80s where Goodyear dominated the sport until the 90s where Bridgestone was introduced.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Jeeks ] ++

The Tyre Championship was there and it was taken away in the 80s where Goodyear dominated the sport until the 90s where Bridgestone was introduced.
    Interesting.

No doubt, Michelin would dominate the championship in the same way today.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    Its harder for the drivers this year since they've switched from soft-compound tyres to harder ones which offer more durability at the expense of grip.

Skill becomes more important than ever it's no surprise we've seen more than the usual share of sliding in and out of sand traps this season.Brakes are also very important now that the drivers have to brake early at the hairpins and tight corners to prevent understeering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)