The Formula 1 thread - Season 2005 (6 Viewers)

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Schumacher leads from Barrichello by 0.9 seconds, the Jordans and Minardis are way back already.

Eveyone else is out (Fisichella, Trulli, Alonso, Raikonnen, Montoya, Ralf Schumacher, Button, Sato, Webber etc) due basically to shit tyres. And the fans are demanding their money back.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Holdon ] ++
What is this? It makes a laughing stock of F1.
Sad really, I've only recently started getting into it and now this. They just interviewed Ross Braun (ferrari technical director or something) and the renault and mcClaren mechanics were in the background booing and doing thumbs down signs. Quite amusing actually :D

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Holdon ] ++
The American fans were really funny, they don't care about letting you know how p!ssed off they are!
Yeah, Really funny watching these hick fvcks throwing full beer cans at cars doing 180+ mph.... Wonderful people!:rolleyes:

Sep 14, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Shadowfax ] ++

Yeah, Really funny watching these hick fvcks throwing full beer cans at cars doing 180+ mph.... Wonderful people!:rolleyes:
Of course I don't support those idiots :yuck:

I was talking about the spectators that had left the track and gave their views to the TV crew. :rolleyes:

Sep 14, 2003
Ok, just thought I had to make myself extra clear. ;)

It's a shame when the reason that many of the teams didn't race was due to safety issues, that some w@nker(s) endangered peoples lifes.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
Cheers Zlatan, current situation is that the 9 teams on michelin tyres will NOT RACE unless a chicane is put in to cover turn 9, where the accident happened. So far Ferrari (bridgestone tyres) have refused to accept this, so it could be just them , jordan and minardi racing :groan:
It's only 7 teams on Michelin and 3 on Bridgestone. Apparantly, 8 mo the teams agreed to the chicane (all except Jordan and Ferrari). Minardi said they only raced because of Jordan.

++ [ originally posted by fabiana ] ++
So whos winning and whos out

nevermind, what happened and why is everyone out?

Long story, but to cut it short, Michelin fucked up, and are acting like spoiled children, and the teams and their bosses as well, especially Flavio.

Schumacher leads from Barrichello by 0.9 seconds, the Jordans and Minardis are way back already.

Eveyone else is out (Fisichella, Trulli, Alonso, Raikonnen, Montoya, Ralf Schumacher, Button, Sato, Webber etc) due basically to shit tyres. And the fans are demanding their money back.

AS they should. The organisers will probably give them their money back, and then sue the teams that didnt participate for loss of revenue.

Sad really, I've only recently started getting into it and now this. They just interviewed Ross Braun (ferrari technical director or something) and the renault and mcClaren mechanics were in the background booing and doing thumbs down signs. Quite amusing actually :D

Their own fault really. Barichello said that a lot of people will look at Ferrari for this, but it's not their fault. Michelin were really stupid with the chicane demand. Just like if Real Sociedad told Barcelona "We won't play unless you leave Eto'o and Ronaldinho out." Utter bollocks. Bridgestones have been shite all season, and you don't see Ferrari asking FIA to tailor the tracks to their cars.

The easises and most logical solution for this was that Michelin cars simply

DRIVE SLOWER THROUGH THAT CORNER!!!

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
I don't think there really was a logical solution. Installing a chicane would be unfair to Ferrari, whom as you said had to put up with bridgestones being shite especially at the catalan gp. Going slow through the corner would be dangerous as if a McClaren suddenly brakes in front of Scumacher whos nailing it hard, you have potential for dangerous crashes each lap.

Apparently though there were alternative tyres available from michelin but they weren't allowed to use them. That to me would seem to have been the only sensible solution.

Its all about egos though in this sport, from the teams down to the owner.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by isha00 ] ++
Why didn't American people know about the possibility of this happening?

Probably because noone there cares about F1.

I don't think there really was a logical solution. Installing a chicane would be unfair to Ferrari, whom as you said had to put up with bridgestones being shite especially at the catalan gp. Going slow through the corner would be dangerous as if a McClaren suddenly brakes in front of Scumacher whos nailing it hard, you have potential for dangerous crashes each lap.

Apparently though there were alternative tyres available from michelin but they weren't allowed to use them. That to me would seem to have been the only sensible solution.

Its all about egos though in this sport, from the teams down to the owner.

Installing a chicane was impossible. First of all, you can't just put a few tires to mark it, it has to be done by FIA regulations and approved materials. Second of all, the teams would have basically no experience about the new track and would have the wrong setups, as they are currently driving with less downforce because of the fast last stint. That in itself would be dangerous. Also, it's not like they would go 340 kph, and the suddenly brake to 280. Just go into the corner slower and get overtaken. Not very different from when you have badly worn out tyres and have to go into a chicane slower. You can't just change the rules in the middle of a race, that would be an even bigger farce.

There were a few options for Michelin, but they chose not to utilise them.

1. They could have used the new batch of tyres and suffered a penalty from FIA. Probably a 10 second stop and go or being relegated 10 slots on the grid. Problem is, they don't know exactly what the problem was with the tyres and if the new batch would be any better.

2. They could have instructed their teams to come in every 10-15 laps and change the tyres due to safety concerns, in which case they probably wouldnt have been further punished.

3. They could have instructed their cars to go slower through the turn.

4. They could have actually done their research and brought the proper tyres to the race.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Besides, I really don't think the "it would be dangerous to have slower cars" argument is valid. I mean, isn't that what Minardi and Jordan do every week. They're 2 second slower than almost anyone else and clearly arent valid points challengers, but you don't see people accusing them of being dangerous.

And besides, motor racing is dangerous by definition. IMO, most of the drivers today are pussies (not just because of this incident tho).

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Besides, I really don't get people complaining about Ferrari all the time. It's not their fault the rest of the field couldn't challenge them

Fact is, Ferrari came to where they were only through hard work and dedication. They were crap before Schumacher joined, 17 years without a title IIRC, first Williams and Then McLaren ahd by far superior cars, but Ferrari fought until the end. They worked and worked and got to the top, fair and square, and all of the sudden people are calling them the death of Formula 1.

Fact is, most of the new rulse were brought to slow down Ferrari. Reduction of testing because Ferrari own two private test tracks, Fiorano and Mugello. Who's stopping Toyota, or Honda or Williams from building their own tracks? FIA and the other 9 teams say that they reduced testing because of the costs, but IMO the costs could have been reduced in other ways. Lowering the salaries of your drivers, cutting back on personel, not using materials that are futuristic even for NASA, or in McLarens case, not buying a 10 mil $ motorhome.

They have been trying to change the rules to take away Ferrari's advantages. Why should Ferrari agree to a reduction of testing, if they have the tracks and the money? Money will always be a factor in every sport, the more you invest the more successful you'll be, as it is in football, basketball, Formula !, handball, etc, etc. Why should Ferrari compromise their succes because other teams made a misstake?

Isn't using your advantages the key of every succes? Do you see a football team with a worldclass attack play a 6-4-0 to allow their competitors to copetitive, Goran Ivanišević being forbidden from serving 40 aces in order to have longer rallies and make the match more interesting, the Huston Rockests being forbidden to play Yao Ming, because there are no other players tall enough to gurad him properly, etc.

Ferrari did nothing wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)