The Financial Situation (43 Viewers)

Mar 3, 2014
Well, I am a bond analyst by trade, so any questions, I probably can give some insight. The total amount issued was 175MM euro @ 3.375%. I want to find the document given to investors because it should say use of proceeds. There is a possibility that it could have been simply to term out bank debt. The majority of Juve's debt is short term bank debt, which usually have high amortization payments. It could also mean they want 175MM in incremental cash to buy a player. Dunno. I will dig.

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
Well, I am a bond analyst by trade, so any questions, I probably can give some insight. The total amount issued was 175MM euro @ 3.375%. I want to find the document given to investors because it should say use of proceeds. There is a possibility that it could have been simply to term out bank debt. The majority of Juve's debt is short term bank debt, which usually have high amortization payments. It could also mean they want 175MM in incremental cash to buy a player. Dunno. I will dig.
Why is that our debt is increasing year after year

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
When you are giving stupid wages to the likes of khedira and can its not hard to see why
You can also include barzagli who earns 3 million euros per season when he hardly plays any match

- - - Updated - - -

Don't understand the question. Are you asking why Juve's debt has been increasing?
Yes and is it good thing from financial point of view

Mar 3, 2014
You can also include barzagli who earns 3 million euros per season when he hardly plays any match

- - - Updated - - -

Yes and is it good thing from financial point of view
Our debt has been increasing because our cash profit on operations (revenues less wages and other operating expenses), subtract payments owed to other clubs for previous transfers, interest expense, and investment in new players, the club is in cash deficit. It then borrows using its bank credit lines to make up this deficit. Typically bank loans are stringent with high amortization payments. Bonds on the other hand are more flexible, and Juve can wait 5 years before making any payments.
Whether it is good or not?
Well, it depends. interest payments on bonds are generally higher, but as I said, they are more flexible, and usually don't have a direct claim on company assets. Also, no amortization payments are due, and instead the whole amount owed can be paid or refinanced in 5 years. Also it depends on what the use of proceeds are. If it is to refinance bank debt it is neutral, and if it is to buy players well, good for us, but obviously it needs to also manage debt levels.

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
Our debt has been increasing because our cash profit on operations (revenues less wages and other operating expenses), subtract payments owed to other clubs for previous transfers, interest expense, and investment in new players, the club is in cash deficit. It then borrows using its bank credit lines to make up this deficit. Typically bank loans are stringent with high amortization payments. Bonds on the other hand are more flexible, and Juve can wait 5 years before making any payments.
Whether it is good or not?
Well, it depends. interest payments on bonds are generally higher, but as I said, they are more flexible, and usually don't have a direct claim on company assets. Also, no amortization payments are due, and instead the whole amount owed can be paid or refinanced in 5 years. Also it depends on what the use of proceeds are. If it is to refinance bank debt it is neutral, and if it is to buy players well, good for us, but obviously it needs to also manage debt levels.
So there is nothing alarming if our debts become double after one season

Last edited:

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
debt is never a good thing from a financial point of view
there might be multiple benefits of the debt, just to name a few in a nutshell:
- tax shield
- usually cheaper than equity
- can be more flexible than equity
- in case of juve, building a stadium from equity alone wouldn't have been possible
- bond buyers won't have any influence on how the money is spent
- ownership stays with the original owners (no new owners involved)

debt is not like drugs.

Mar 3, 2014
https://www.football-italia.net/127915/juventus-confirm-€19m-loss
You can read this article it says that our debts have doubled from 147 million euros to 309 but Ronaldo transfer will be accounted for in the next financial year
Debt didn't double. Debt grew from 305 to 328 million euro. Net debt is net of cash. The reason net debt increased was because we had 135 million in cash on the balance sheet, and spent all but 15. The bond deal could either refinance of that 328 million in debt and push out the repayment date further into the future (5 years with no amortization payment), or it could be to fund player purchases. If commercially we are doing well enough, perhaps management feels comfortable raising incremental debt. I wish I had the debt issuance presentation or offering memorandum, maybe I can get it from my Morgan Stanley sales person lol

- - - Updated - - -

So there is nothing alarming if our debts become double after one season
It depends on profitability. Debt is not bad. Too much debt is mad and not enough debt it bad. If Juventus expects enough growth in revenue and profits, it is totally fine. Also if it expects that the value of the business will continue to increase it is also ok. Even if a company has massive cash deficits, it could be ok if the value of the company is still increasing and it can access more capital to continue funding investment. For example: Netflix. Netflix's cash generation less content investment is negative but debt as a percentage of netflix' market value is only 8%. Netflix for example could make a cash profit if it reduced investment today, but believes it makes better financial sense to borrow money, and invest in content which will keep the growth engine going. So each case is different.

- - - Updated - - -

there might be multiple benefits of the debt, just to name a few in a nutshell:
- tax shield
- usually cheaper than equity
- can be more flexible than equity
- in case of juve, building a stadium from equity alone wouldn't have been possible
- bond buyers won't have any influence on how the money is spent
- ownership stays with the original owners (no new owners involved)

debt is not like drugs.

unless you default on payments, can refinance bonds. then you lose all ownership, and the bond holders own you. That is exactly what happened with Milan. Also remember that a bankruptcy isn't necessarily disastrous unless you can't find a new buyer. Elliot Management, Milan's owners simply took control of the business after it defaulted. Parma was such a disaster that nobody bought it and it went into liquidation. That is why it was relegated. You only get relegated if you get liquidated.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 43)