The "English Football is Superior" Thread (2 Viewers)

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Arif ] ++

Yeah right. And this year's Juve defence sucks because they didn't concede any goals yet.
Did I say that dumbass?

And about the juve having a weak defence that year, I take it back then, I didnt realise they had a good record. I just remember dodgy borderline desperate defence against Deportivo and especially Barca. Didnt exactly look THAT great to me :D

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
it's been a fact for the past few decades now that serie a and la liga are superior,i don't know why people always bother to dig it up whenever some english club achieve some supposedly astounding feat.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Italian teams won the CL 10 times,Spanish teams won the CL 10 times,English teams won it 9 times,its a slight difference so you cant call it a fact.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
Yeah in Italy atleast. In a majority of those 3-4 years they really sucked in the CL though.

95/96 - CL Winners
96/97 - CL Finalists
97/98 - CL Finalists
98/99 - CL Semi-Finalists
02/03 - CL Finalists

In the last 9 years Juventus was in the Final 4 times and in the semis once.

I wouldnt call that sucking in the CL. You cant expect a team to win the CL every year, or to get to the final or semis every year.

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++

95/96 - CL Winners
96/97 - CL Finalists
97/98 - CL Finalists
98/99 - CL Semi-Finalists
02/03 - CL Finalists

In the last 9 years Juventus was in the Final 4 times and in the semis once.

I wouldnt call that sucking in the CL. You cant expect a team to win the CL every year, or to get to the final or semis every year.
Actually I meant

98/99
99/00
00/01
01/02

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003

Actually I meant

98/99
99/00
00/01
01/02

I know what you ment, but all I'm saying is that a slump is only normal after you've been in the top for 5 years. You cant be in the last 8 or 4 teams in the CL every year.

BTW, 98/99 - CL Semi-finalists, lost to Manyoo.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

I know what you ment, but all I'm saying is that a slump is only normal after you've been in the top for 5 years. You cant be in the last 8 or 4 teams in the CL every year.

yeah Juve just can't stop losing to Man utd,eh?:D

River

Jun 15, 2004

Sure, or sometimes you cant even be in the competition ;)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
Italian teams won the CL 10 times,Spanish teams won the CL 10 times,English teams won it 9 times,its a slight difference so you cant call it a fact.
Heres something to choke on.

Italian clubs have won five and played in 10 of the last 16 Champions Cup Finals, not to mention winning 8 of the last 16 UEFA Cups.. Spanish clubs have won four and played in six C.L. Finals, with only winning one UEFA Cup. In the past 16 years, only one English club has made the C.L. Final, winning it in '99. While in the same period only one English club has won one UEFA cup.

2 European trophies in 16 years is pretty miserable IMO. But this year they might have the strongest chance to improve that record.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Heres something to choke on.

Italian clubs have won five and played in 10 of the last 16 Champions Cup Finals, not to mention winning 8 of the last 16 UEFA Cups.. Spanish clubs have won four and played in six C.L. Finals, with only winning one UEFA Cup. In the past 16 years, only one English club has made the C.L. Final, winning it in '99. While in the same period only one English club has won one UEFA cup.

2 European trophies in 16 years is pretty miserable IMO. But this year they might have the strongest chance to improve that record.
Andy why do you keep throwing up these past stats? We all know them. No one is doubting them.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
based on what are they better?
What do you want, some meaningless figures? Its like comparing Henry to heskey..its obvious one is miles better, we don't need any "evidence"

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004

Did I say that dumbass?

And about the juve having a weak defence that year, I take it back then, I didnt realise they had a good record. I just remember dodgy borderline desperate defence against Deportivo and especially Barca. Didnt exactly look THAT great to me :D
No you didn't, 'dumbass'. :D

I said that. And it's good you take it back, coz a team with a sucky defence, can't make it to the final of the CL, and lose on the lottary. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)