The "English Football is Superior" Thread (1 Viewer)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
It is though. Defence in the EPL isnt that bad. Just in Italy you like to play the last 15minutes in your penalty area :D
I highly doubt that the quality of defense in La Liga is less than that of the EPL, considering teams such as Valencia, Deportivo, and Villareal who all have very solid backlines and showed it in Europe. I know thats only three clubs, but you must look at what the effect of those respective teams have on others. The quality of La Liga is unmistakeble when it comes to both aspects of the game.

Buy on AliExpress.com

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

I highly doubt that the quality of defense in La Liga is less than that of the EPL, considering teams such as Valencia, Deportivo, and Villareal who all have very solid backlines and showed it in Europe. I know thats only three clubs, but you must look at what the effect of those respective teams have on others. The quality of La Liga is unmistakeble when it comes to both aspects of the game.
So tell me whats so bad about English defence?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

So tell me whats so bad about English defence?
Nothing is really "bad" about it. :) Its just from what I've seen La Liga sides have better defenses, and that might explain their overall success in Europe.

River

Jun 15, 2004
Thankyou.

Look at how much Juves defence sucked the year they made the final. Look at how much Real Madrids defence has always sucked and they've always done well. Defence is important. But you cant solely generalise a whole nation and put it down to that.

Jul 28, 2002
english football is superior?? balls... go watch/play at grass root level....hereu will find the worse football in the world, crash bang whallop at its best!

Now when i have played in france its all different, even at village level...much more technical and controled!

right now, grass roots english football is playing major catch up on the rest of the world , let alone europe.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Look at how much Juves defence sucked the year they made the final.
Juve's defence sucked the year we made the final?

We conceded less than a goal a game in Serie A and had a European record to boot

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Thankyou.

Look at how much Juves defence sucked the year they made the final. Look at how much Real Madrids defence has always sucked and they've always done well. Defence is important. But you cant solely generalise a whole nation and put it down to that.
What I was trying to illude to, was that the overall quality of the defenses in La Liga make it possible for improvement in both aspects of the game. This "quality" stems into their European performances, and Spanish sides have become a force in Europe. Just look at Villareal last year, and other La Liga sides in the UEFA cup and Champions League. There is no lack of quality defending in Spain, and if there is, certainly not to the extent of the EPL.

MCPIERO

Jul 23, 2002
General english defences are more physical but slow compared to Serie A defences. Marking has improved though. The big teams in England have good backlines. English football is fast and direct so the defence will have a hard time as they always have to be on their toes.On a whole they lack the touch, technique and passing of Serie A and La Liga defenders but they are taught to clear the danger no.1 and not do anything risky like pass it out I aint talking about teams like Man U but small sides. All teams in Italy pass and play. Its the way they are taught.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

What are you basing that on? Do you even watch La Liga?
yes i do,every week actually.and i dont think the likes of Ayala or Puyol are better than Rio or Campbell.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Fred you might wanna look up the Rooney thread, or the Owen to real thread :D
why?:confused:
btw,i dont like Rooney myself,but come if being 2nd top scorer in the EC at 18.doesnt convince you then what does?

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

What I was trying to illude to, was that the overall quality of the defenses in La Liga make it possible for improvement in both aspects of the game. This "quality" stems into their European performances, and Spanish sides have become a force in Europe. Just look at Villareal last year, and other La Liga sides in the UEFA cup and Champions League. There is no lack of quality defending in Spain, and if there is, certainly not to the extent of the EPL.
may i remind you that before Ferdinand got banned Man utd's defence was the strongest in the CL,as for Villareal last year,IMO what made them shine in europe was their strike force,which could penetrate any defence in spain at that time.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
I think you're being much too quick to disregard the ability of Ayala and Puyol freddy boy...
i'm not disregarding Puyol or Ayala,but i'm regarding Ferdinand and Campbell,i mean look at Man utd who with Ferdiand last season had the strongest defence in the CL,but look what happened to them when he left them,it shows the influence Ferdinand has,which i dont think Puyol or Ayala has.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Puyol and Ayala are both easily better defenders than ferdinand, and Campbell, well he's just a blundering oaf so there's no comparison there

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
Puyol and Ayala are both easily better defenders than ferdinand, and Campbell, well he's just a blundering oaf so there's no comparison there
based on what are they better?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
may i remind you that before Ferdinand got banned Man utd's defence was the strongest in the CL,as for Villareal last year,IMO what made them shine in europe was their strike force,which could penetrate any defence in spain at that time.
Their attack made them shine, but their defense made them effective.

Man United's defense was the strongest in Europe? Right. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)