The "English Football is Superior" Thread (1 Viewer)

Valley

Apr 20, 2004
Post here anecdotes of smug English pundits/ commentators/ fans making comments that t imply English football, in particular the EPL is the best.

During the England match against Austria, when England scored their second goal it was down to good closing down by Gerrard. Here is a paraphrase of what the commentator said, in a nice thick London accent, making him sound even more silly:
"See that, they [the Austrian players] aren't used to that sort of closing down that's Premiership closing down!"

The bit in italics was said in a ridiculously smug fashion.

This demonstrates clear ignorance in England that the EPL is the only league which has players capable of closing down other teams. What he meant to say was "that's great closing down!". The EPL DOES NOT have a monopoly on excellent closing down of opposition players. Of course, no pundit or commentator in England will ever realise this!

In another match, Peter Schmeichel spent several minutes trying to explain that the reason EPL teams do poorly in Europe is because....

The style of English teams does not suit the style that is played in Europe. But EPL teams are still better than European teams.

Basically that's what he said.

He then tried to claim that if the top English teams happened to play against the top Spanish teams in La Liga, the English teams would come out on top all the time.....but when they play against each other in the CL it's completely different style of play which is why they always lose.

Gordon Strachan noticed the complete idiocy in Schmeichel's argument and thankfully argued the toss with him about it!

Buy on AliExpress.com

MCPIERO

Jul 23, 2002
:LOL: Yeah I remember that. Schmeichel was chatting shit and then Strachan put him in his place. Said something about in europe you need to hold the ball and not just crash bang wollop english football:D

OP
Valley

Valley

Apr 20, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3
    Strachan is great. Annoying accent, sometimes I disagree with him, but he speaks his mind and it's usually a good point!

In Euro, someone said that Sven Goran Erikson was "revolutionary" (LOL) for playing 4 attacking midfielders. And look how well that worked. The thing is, there is no one in England that I can think of who can hold the ball up in midfield.

MCPIERO

Jul 23, 2002
    Same, I cant think of anyone. They have great players in Midfield, Lamps, Stevie G, Beckham but no player who can command and take the heat when they go 1up. They just seem to give the ball away for fun when they have a lead.

River

Jun 15, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Valley ] ++
    Post here anecdotes of smug English pundits/ commentators/ fans making comments that t imply English football, in particular the EPL is the best.

During the England match against Austria, when England scored their second goal it was down to good closing down by Gerrard. Here is a paraphrase of what the commentator said, in a nice thick London accent, making him sound even more silly:
    "See that, they [the Austrian players] aren't used to that sort of closing down that's Premiership closing down!"

The bit in italics was said in a ridiculously smug fashion.

This demonstrates clear ignorance in England that the EPL is the only league which has players capable of closing down other teams. What he meant to say was "that's great closing down!". The EPL DOES NOT have a monopoly on excellent closing down of opposition players. Of course, no pundit or commentator in England will ever realise this!

In another match, Peter Schmeichel spent several minutes trying to explain that the reason EPL teams do poorly in Europe is because....

The style of English teams does not suit the style that is played in Europe. But EPL teams are still better than European teams.

Basically that's what he said.

He then tried to claim that if the top English teams happened to play against the top Spanish teams in La Liga, the English teams would come out on top all the time.....but when they play against each other in the CL it's completely different style of play which is why they always lose.

Gordon Strachan noticed the complete idiocy in Schmeichel's argument and thankfully argued the toss with him about it!
    fuck you :groan:

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I'm not sure that's the impression you wanted to leave, River, but this should-otherwise-be-no-big-deal thread has clearly struck a very raw nerve with you. You seem to have unintentionally made something of yawnable interest into something of exteme personal importance.

So what's the story? Why the knee-jerk reaction that triggered off the Tourettes?

River

Jun 15, 2004
    Maybe its having to read this crap continually, maybe its Valleys personal anti-EPL vendetta or maybe its the part i put in bold:

what the commentator said, in a nice thick London accent, making him sound even more silly

But your right. Post removed.

OP
    Valley

Valley

Apr 20, 2004
  • Thread Starter #9
    He didn't sound silly because he had a London accent. But the quote in italics could not have sounded worse than a person saying it in a smug fashion with a London accent.

I also don't have a vendetta against the EPL. I like watching most football. What I don't like is when smug English commentators get delusional about how it is the greatest league in the world and none of the others compare. And of course that only EPL players can close down other players in matches.

MCPIERO

Jul 23, 2002
    Pointless topic. There isnt much to add. Football is massive in this country and people get happy when the english NT or domestic sides do well. Nothing wrong with that. Some people get over excited though like Schmeichel but he bumrapes english sides regardless, Scumfield Utd to Man Utd and hes Danish. The majority of football experts are good though and never say we are the best.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    In general, Italians think Serie A is the best, Brits think the EPL is the best, and Hispanics think that La Liga is the best..... Big deal!

we all have our opinions...and we're all slightly biased by what we follow mostly...

River

Jun 15, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Valley ] ++
    He didn't sound silly because he had a London accent. But the quote in italics could not have sounded worse than a person saying it in a smug fashion with a London accent.

I also don't have a vendetta against the EPL. I like watching most football. What I don't like is when smug English commentators get delusional about how it is the greatest league in the world and none of the others compare. And of course that only EPL players can close down other players in matches.
    Show me one occasion where a respected english commentator has said EPL is superior. Just one and then your right. Saying thats 'english closing down' is a far shot of thats 'the best focking league in the world we are so superior'. :rolleyes:

Forgive me, but it gets extremely tiring listening to this crap all the time. Do you speak Italian or Spanish and watch those games in their own language? And can you say they dont say things just the same? Im sure the answer is no making your argument absolute bull.

River

Jun 15, 2004
    We dont want views. We want proof ;)

How pissed of would you idiots be if every other post i complained about the italian league being lazy and about as exciting as watching paint drying?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
    We dont want views. We want proof ;)

How pissed of would you idiots be if every other post i complained about the italian league being lazy and about as exciting as watching paint drying?
    Which idiots are you talking about? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)