The Divine Power of Smilies (1 Viewer)

Jun 13, 2007
I don't know why, but this has just occurred to me. It is believed that in real life conversations, 90 percent of what people say is characterized by their body language and tone of voice. Only 10 percent is determined by the actual content of their words.

You'd think that on the internet, things would be different, right?

Consider this:

I believe you're absolutely clueless.

OR

I believe you're absolutely clueless. :D

Notice that just by adding a smiley at the end; the entire meaning of this sentence has changed. I know most of you are probably wondering what drugs I've been taking lately, but I just think it's amazing how much a smiley can change the content of what you're saying, and it I'm sure that many misunderstandings have happened in this forum because of this.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to give examples, funny ones if you can, about the power of the smiley. These examples can either be actual events that took place, or hypothetical situations you think would be amusing in case they did happen.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
rounder
Jun 13, 2007
  • Thread Starter #16
    Holy FUCK! Talk about coincidence. So this is from 'The Wish List and General Discussion Thread.

Some dude said we should buy this 18 year old Italian youngster from Chelsea, and I replied with.

That's what we need. More Italians.

Now, to me, it was obvious I was being sarcastic because, in fact, we already have an abundant number of Italians. BUT I forgot to add a smiley at the end there.

This is what El Manco replies to me.

What the hell do we need Italian players for? It's not like we are an Italian team.

There you have it ladies and gentlemen. My hypothesis is now officially proven.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)