The Dakar Rally (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
I'm sure you've all heard of it, one of the last real adventures you can do, and my dream is to one day participate in it.

Still, it can be pretty dangerous, the rally took it's second viction this year:

Sad day on the Dakar…

The 2005 Dakar was the scene of another very sad day with the death of Fabrizio Meoni, a day after Spanish biker Jose-Manuel Perez passed away in an Alicante hospital after crashing during stage 7.

The Italian biker had taken the start of the day's stage 11 in second spot overall, over 9' behind Cyril Despres. The leading bikers had been riding together on the fast course early in the special. Indeed five riders made it bunched at CP1 (Despres, Meoni, Esteve, Coma and Frétigné) with Coma setting the provisional best time.
A few minutes after refuelling at km 184, Meoni suffered a serious crash. David Frétigné who witnessed the accident, immediately launched the Italians distress signal. A medical helicopter sent on site made it on the scene of the crash at 10h36 finding Meoni in a situation of heart failure. After 45minutes of treatment, the efforts appeared to be vain. The hour of death was pronounced at 11h11 GMT.

The other riders, not aware of Meoni's condition carried on the special with Marc Coma clocking the fastest time of the day.
The leading bikers were then informed, on the finish line, of the sad news by race director Patrick Zaniroli. Shocked by the terrible news, they then headed to the bivouac in Kiffa on a liaison. The organisation decided not to inform the other competitors in order not to trouble them psychologically on the long road to Kiffa.

The Dakar rally has today lost one of its greatest figures. At 47 years of age, Fabrizio Meoni was seen by all as a reference in the world of rally raid and the bearer of the Dakar Spirit. The Italian had started as a privateer for the first of his 13 Dakars winning 14 stages and 2 titles in 2001 and 2002.

Meanwhile, the car special was won by Jutta Kleinschmidt in her Volkswagen Race Touareg. The German took off third this morning behind the Mitsubishis of Alphand and Peterhansel and remained within shooting distance all day earning herself a first special victory this year with a 1'04 advantage on Alphand and 2'42 on Peterhansel. 'Peter' keeps the overall leadership with a 19'50 advance on his team mate and 1h08 on Kleinschmidt.

DAKAR OFFICIAL RELEASE: DEATH OF FABRIZIO MEONI

It is with huge sadness that the rally was informed this morning of the death of Fabrizio MEONI (n°4), one of the greatest rally-raid champions ever, after a crash just after CP1, at km 184, at 10h15 (GMT) during stage 12 between Atar and Kiffa.

A medical helicopter of the organisation was immediately sent on the scene of the accident at 10h36 (GMT) and the doctors treated the champion for 45 minutes.

However, the two-time Dakar winner, aged of 47 years, died of his injuries at 11h11 (GMT).

Fabrizio MEONI, a huge figure of the rally, was 2nd overall in the bike standings, behind Cyril Despres and was competing on the race for the 13th time.

His body was taken to Atar.

The entire Dakar caravan wishes to express its sincere condolences to his family, his friends and his many admirers.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stephañho!

Aug 1, 2002
The Paris-Dakar race should be suppressed altogether. Drivers die almost each year, a couple of locals get run over each year and let's not even talk about the pollution...

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    The danger is a part of it's appeal. Luckily, noone died last year, and I havent heard of any locals being run over in the last few years...

And I dont really think the pollution is a big problem, you dont have even 500 cars in it, compared to the hundreds of millions that are driving around the world. I really doubt 500 cars make a big difference.

Stephañho!

Aug 1, 2002
    Meoni's the 22nd participant to die in 27 years of competition. I couldn't be bothered enough at such late hour to inquire about a precise list of civil casualties but I can assure you it's enormous!

Regarding the pollution it generates, the Dakar caravan has more to it than just 500 cars burning fuel, but whatever. Seriously, I understand it must be a great adventure for the pilots but what positives does it bring to the society, to the locals?

I just wanted to make clear that if it was up to me, it would have been suppressed from the calendar a long time ago. And I sure am not sorry for Meoni.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
    I'm sure you've all heard of it, one of the last real adventures you can do, and my dream is to one day participate in it.
    No offense or anything but you might want to think real hard about that. After all, didn't you crash your car second day you got your license? :D

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7
    No dude, I crashed my car something like 2 months after I got my licence :rolleyes:

But it was the second week in my own car

And it doesnt matter, there are no traffic lights in the desert where I could hit someone from behind :D

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #9
    ++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++

no it was like the second week

See? Here's a man who pays attention. Stank you Besmir, stank you.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #11
    ++ [ originally posted by Stephañho! ] ++
    Meoni's the 22nd participant to die in 27 years of competition. I couldn't be bothered enough at such late hour to inquire about a precise list of civil casualties but I can assure you it's enormous!

Regarding the pollution it generates, the Dakar caravan has more to it than just 500 cars burning fuel, but whatever. Seriously, I understand it must be a great adventure for the pilots but what positives does it bring to the society, to the locals?

I just wanted to make clear that if it was up to me, it would have been suppressed from the calendar a long time ago. And I sure am not sorry for Meoni.

Perhaps it is more than 500 cars/trucks/bikes burning fuel, but I still think the pollution isnt as big of an issue as you might believe.

And every sport has it's casualties, wheather it's another for of motor racing, football, rugby, or anything else, nothing is completely safe, and anyone that chooses to take part in the Dakar accepts that risk. Still, the civilian casualties are very unfortunate tho.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #13
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    In my defence: I had 183.473 new threads to catch up with :redface:

Oh, right, you werent here when that happened :undecide:

I'll have you know my dad gave me the car back after it was repaired, and I'm much more careful now :)

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
    Oct 27, 2004
    Man I heard that some good Italian Dakar rally driver-thingy died. He was good too, the newspaper noted. I hope he went to a better place..

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002
    Very tough rally, It's sad to hear that..:sad:
    Didn't follow the rally, just love to see Mc Rae took part on it.
    I enjoy WRC much better.

RIP Jose-Manuel Perez and Fabrizio Meoni.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
    Oh, right, you werent here when that happened :undecide:

I'll have you know my dad gave me the car back after it was repaired, and I'm much more careful now :)
    Good cause I might be visiting the balkans this year and I dont wanna get killed by you :D

Yeah I only remember you asking me to buy a car part for you. Shame that didn't work out but you got your part right?

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #20
    ++ [ originally posted by barkuss ] ++
    Our team is there 6 seasons in a row and stupid idiots will never get to the end(with the best jeep in a world....Landcruiser)....morons. Expirience means nothing to them.
    Well, for the Dakar the best jeep is the Mitsubishi Pajero.

++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++

Good cause I might be visiting the balkans this year and I dont wanna get killed by you :D

Yeah I only remember you asking me to buy a car part for you. Shame that didn't work out but you got your part right?

Yeah, like 2 months after that you bastardo :D ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)