The Australian Juventus Thread (8 Viewers)

Nov 17, 2012
Comparably, more people incur serious injury or die in base jumping, bull riding, motocross, big wave surfing, skiing and more than in car racing.

Regardless of speed, machinery etc., racing disciplines (individually) have less risk than the aforementioned. Therefore, in my mind, formulae drivers are not the ballsiest as they are not taking as much risk. The athletes in the sports I mentioned have way less protection against death as well.
I can't argue that those sports are dangerous, but I think this list would put things into perspective somewhat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_deaths_in_motorsport

Also, suffer a tire blow-out at 200+kph and then tell me there is f*ck all risk. I lost it at Barbagallo raceway at 160 (was a flat, rather than a full puncture) and skipped a dozen heart beats in the process, without doubt the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced bar nothing.

Also, in terms of formulae racing, indeed they are well protected now, but that was only due to the many reforms made throughout the 80's and in terms of F1, the massive changes initiated by the double fatalities of Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna at the San Marino Grand Prix in 1994, F1 has not suffered a solitary fatality since (although some accidents have happened where I assumed that one would occur, but miraculously no driver has even been seriously injured in a car in that time). None of those sports you mentioned present either the extreme forces nor the large number of, and variety of variables at play at a given time (ie; part failure in terms of aerodynamics, hydraulics, suspension, tires ect, weather, accidents and so on).

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
let's not forget the tough conditions in a racing car. often inside the cockpit/cabin there are temperatures of 40-50 degrees+ (with no air con and all that fire protective racing gear + helmet) while going through all those G's with only a little gatorade like (but better) drink and if that fails (as it occasionally does) then bad luck. F1 drivers lose like 2-4kgs of body weight after a race.

Golazo

★ ★ ★
Sep 1, 2011
I can't argue that those sports are dangerous, but I think this list would put things into perspective somewhat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_deaths_in_motorsport

Also, suffer a tire blow-out at 200+kph and then tell me there is f*ck all risk. I lost it at Barbagallo raceway at 160 (was a flat, rather than a full puncture) and skipped a dozen heart beats in the process, without doubt the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced bar nothing.

Also, in terms of formulae racing, indeed they are well protected now, but that was only due to the many reforms made throughout the 80's and in terms of F1, the massive changes initiated by the double fatalities of Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna at the San Marino Grand Prix in 1994, F1 has not suffered a solitary fatality since (although some accidents have happened where I assumed that one would occur, but miraculously no driver has even been seriously injured in a car in that time). None of those sports you mentioned present either the extreme forces nor the large number of, and variety of variables at play at a given time (ie; part failure in terms of aerodynamics, hydraulics, suspension, tires ect, weather, accidents and so on).
That is a large list, and I never said there was "f*ck all" risk, so let's not try and put words in mouths.

Now, that list dates back to 1903 from what I can see. With 463 total deaths in that list across over 30 total disciplines, let's average it out to 15 deaths each since 1903. In 110 years, that would equal 1 death every 7-8 years for each. Also, many of those disciplines would be way more popular globally than say, big wave surfing, or base jumping, or bull riding.

I would bet my bottom dollar that there is much more than 1 death every 8 years internationally, and that those extreme sports are much less popular than many of those racing disciplines, this rams home my point even further.

More chance of death = more risk. That's my perspective. Let's just agree to disagree and give each other reacharounds.

Nov 17, 2012
That is a large list, and I never said there was "f*ck all" risk, so let's not try and put words in mouths.
True true, sorry mate, was unintended.

I would bet my bottom dollar that there is much more than 1 death every 8 years internationally, and that those extreme sports are much less popular than many of those racing disciplines, this rams home my point even further.

More chance of death = more risk. That's my perspective. Let's just agree to disagree and give each other reacharounds.
Fair enough, sounds kosher. The main crux of my point though was not a c*ck comparison (mine's bigger than yours), at least, I didn't intend for it to be; I just thought you, among others, were grossly understating the risk. Remember also, that list doesn't cover amateur and semi-professional events where many more have died (drag racing, time attack, sprints, hill-climbs, test and tune days, ect). I don't think there's much to agree to disagree on, I appreciate your point and you seemingly see mine, all good bro. :)

Golazo

★ ★ ★
Sep 1, 2011
Watched a few docos about the origins, makings and purchasing of the F-35 for Australia. Apparently, for its price tag, one of the most underachieving planes of all time and not a good investment in our future - especially considering upkeep costs.

Djibouti could attack Australia with toothpicks and we wouldn't have an answer.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
Watched a few docos about the origins, makings and purchasing of the F-35 for Australia. Apparently, for its price tag, one of the most underachieving planes of all time and not a good investment in our future - especially considering upkeep costs.

Djibouti could attack Australia with toothpicks and we wouldn't have an answer.
It's not as bad plane as the media make it out to be, it has many features that will not be found on any other plane that are far beyond any other (besides F-22) but probably is not the right plane for Australia. Problem is there is no real alternative for Australia (keeping 'political ties' or whatever intact)... i.e. buying U.S. only.

And Abbott/Morrison sending ships into Indonesian waters makes me nervous TBH.
and with the spying too.

not exactly good... although we would give them a good hiding if they tried anything tbh...

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
maybe, but I wouldn't be 100% sure.

the whole thing is pretty fucked really, in regards to the boats. don't see any proper resolutio

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
Although if I had to bet US would probably back us, they need us for long term strategic goals vs china and we have one of their most important bases (pine gap)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)