Terrorism (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by fabiana ] ++
... but he never presented (at least yesterday) a reasonable plan with numbers.
One of the biggest rules of effective presentations when you have a plan, if you're going for a broader audience, is not to use numbers. You guarantee that the eyes of your audience are going to glaze over -- and you're also presuming that a decent percentage of them can really do the math.

My wife does presentation training for a living in the health care field, and I can't tell you how many times she deals with doctors who just want to dive into the numbers. Numbers don't tell a story to most people, and they fail to convince as an argument unto themselves in that setting.

What I said earlier still stands: appealing for votes in a U.S. presidential election is about selling shampoo. It's not about selling economic details in some obscure tome or brain teaser exercise that practically no one is going to read, let alone be capable of comprehending or analyzing successfully.

It's about sound bytes, first impressions, and superficial reactions to the candidates. Any smart presidential candidate must know this and must capitalize on this, as disappointing as it may sound for those who expect "more" from the political process.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #602
    ++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++
    yeah, and they were better off with Saddam.......................................
    Saddam wasnt the reason for invading Iraq and you know it. How many other Asian, African, South American countries with dictators that do what they want are there, mass genocide, even worse things that happened in Iraq, and still I dont see the US trying to help them, or invade and dethrone their monster rulers.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    Well, if I were an American that was gonna vote on Nov. 2nd, I would be interested in knowing how Kerry plans to rise the minium wage, get better college founds, give every American a health care plan, etc. I dont think the money from the tax of the people who earn more than 200,000 -that he plans to reinstate- will work for all of that

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #604
    Maybe spending less on Iraq would help. Imagine how those hundreds of billions of dollars could be used at home.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++

Saddam wasnt the reason for invading Iraq and you know it. How many other Asian, African, South American countries with dictators that do what they want are there, mass genocide, even worse things that happened in Iraq, and still I dont see the US trying to help them, or invade and dethrone their monster rulers.
    Dictators like who?

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    Maybe spending less on Iraq would help. Imagine how those hundreds of billions of dollars could be used at home.
    Yeah, but whats done its done in Iraq, we cannot turn back time and make Bush not invade Iraq, Bush said that he would help create a new country and thats what he's doing. If they left Iraq the way it is right now and just let the UN do all the work that place will become chaos, even worse than what it is right now. The UN doesnt work and we all already know about that, so now that the americans are trying to rebuild what they destroyed is the less thing that they can do

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

But the American public has no respect for intellectuals. We're distrustful and treat them as complete outsiders and pointy-headed geeks. Hence the "Bubba-fication" of presidential candidates. People in this country, for whatever illogical reason, would prefer a "president of the people" at their own mental level than one of the intellectual elite.
    Why do we not respect intellectuals? Or is that we are not educated enough, as a whole, to understand the real issues involved in governing Washington? Maybe we are under an Epicurian-style government in which the wise man should have no power in politics?

Thats one reason why I believe people who are not updated on politics should not vote. This stupid "Vote or Die" slogan by P. Diddy (of all people) just puts a negative connotation on the election which makes it seem like entertainment opportunity, rather than business, in which people vote for the hell of it. I believe that uneducated, or maybe unreliable citizens should not vote. If they cannot make an honest decision themselves, and just follow what the common opinion is (ie like the initial vote in 12 Angry Men), they do not belong in a voting booth. Maybe that would solve this problem of "Bubba" politicians.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Sergio ] ++
    Actually, if you're referring to William Clinton as "Bubba", the man graduated from Georgetown, was a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford, and received his law degree from Yale.

He is a highly intelligent man.
    Political affiliations/beliefs aside, Clinton IMO was a great President who put matters here at home a top priority. Our economy was in great shape, while overseas expenditures were kept reasonable. What a difference four years makes.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    If I were Kerry I'd challenge Bush to an IQ test. I think we all know who'd "win".
    Lets put you in an IQ test against Bush

He graduated from both Yale, and the Harvard Business school

Where did you graduate from ?? The Bosnian school for communist idiots ????

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Political affiliations/beliefs aside, Clinton IMO was a great President who put matters here at home a top priority. Our economy was in great shape, while overseas expenditures were kept reasonable. What a difference four years makes.
    That may be true Andy, but he COMPLETELY IGNORED an imminent threat

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
    what scares me is that kerry is no better than bush
    We don't know that yet, but I won't be surprized if he isn't any better. That's what worries me. I don't want Bush as President and honestly, I'm too convinced about Kerry either.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
    Why do we not respect intellectuals? Or is that we are not educated enough, as a whole, to understand the real issues involved in governing Washington? Maybe we are under an Epicurian-style government in which the wise man should have no power in politics?
    That's a great question I wish I had the answer to. All I can make of it is that it's cultural. If you look at our cultural heroes, how many among them are Nobel Laureates, PhDs, or even just critical thinkers? Of the PhDs who are cultural heroes in this country, they are doctors in title but are otherwise Bubba-fied to relate as a regular guy like you (Dr. Phil, for example).

We glorify and look up to athletes, supermodels, and movie stars. In some circles, some CEOs are heroes -- which is about the closest we get to real intellectuals. But there's a real difference between business acumen and intelligence. Bill Gates is a marketing genius, but I would never ask him his opinion about how to handle the situation in Iraq (not to mention that he's a college drop-out).

There are no real men of math or science in this country with any esteem. And when popular culture does try to represent a subject like mathematics to the layman, we end up with A Beautiful Mind -- complete with wallpaper of circled clippings and scribblings with items circled and lines drawn between them. Man, I miss Carl Sagan.

People like Kissinger, William F. Buckley, and Robert McNamara (all of whom I dislike, mind you) are all examples of recent intellectuals who we've heard of, but none of them would come close to being electable for anything besides class geek.

Thats one reason why I believe people who are not updated on politics should not vote. This stupid "Vote or Die" slogan by P. Diddy (of all people) just puts a negative connotation on the election which makes it seem like entertainment opportunity, rather than business, in which people vote for the hell of it. I believe that uneducated, or maybe unreliable citizens should not vote.
    Oh yeah -- that's a hot issue for me. The tyranny of dunces. "Get the vote out" at all costs is a great concept of a representative republic, but with that comes the responsibility of educating yourself about government, politics, and the political process. Otherwise you may as well be throwing darts with a blindfold on.

Living in California, I used to think that the public proposition program was a great thing. Every election, each voter gets a 200-page tome of voter issues that go directly to the public for voting. I've had a complete change in heart about it in recent years, because I see it as a colossal failure. Instead of putting more control of the government in voters' hands, you open single-issue items up for popular vote by a relatively uninformed public. Voters become very, very part-time legislators -- able to devote only a fraction of a fraction of their thoughts to the tradeoffs of a decision the way an elected official is asked to do -- and they become completely myopic.

Single-issue voting in isolation ignores all the tradeoffs and compromises necessary for effective government, so people vote for school bonds not realizing that they had done so two years ago ... people continue to vote to devote fixed percentages of the annual budget to roads, fire protection, education, etc. so that when the water system infrastructure needs a once-in-40-years major upgrade, there's no wiggle room and legislator's hands are financially tied to do anything about it...

No wonder some people say you get the government you deserve.

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Ibrahimovic9 ] ++
    i agree with Zlatan on everything he said

Congratulations, another guy with shit between his ears. How about you formulate your own opinion and back it up. Neither you nor Zlatan has set foot in America (I am guessing) yet you purport to be experts on what America does, what America needs, and what America should do.

_Emerson

Aug 13, 2004

hehe excellent dude :)

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #620

Gee, must have been hard for him considering his dad was the PONTUS and has shitloads of money... Besides, intelligence has very little to do with education.

Besides Vin, I thought you were above personal insults. Where did you graduate if I might ask?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)