Terrorism (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #542
    Yeah, but people say a lot of things they dont mean when they're emotional, so let's both drop it before we get at eachother's throats ;)

Anyways, you know where I stand and I know where you stand :)

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
    I've answered that several times as well. The reason for that is because we would not use them on our own people and recklessly use them against other countries we dislike. No matter how mad you think Bush is, I can assure you he would do none of that.
    I disagree with this point, and I think that's part of the American self-delusion of our divine righteousness in the world. Everyone thinks they're the good guys. That they do things in not only their own rational interest, but in the rational interest of a better overall world.

Hitler did. Slobodan did. Now of course I don't think our country is anywhere near that category of course, even with what's going on in Iraq (though I am getting mighty nervous). But it would be foolish to think it wouldn't be possible. It would be as foolish in believing that it would be impossible for terrorists to fly jet aircraft into skyscrapers.

Do you know how many U.S. government insider hawks were telling JFK to blow the crap out of Cuba and start an all-out nuclear war with the USSR over the Cuban missile crisis in the early 1960s? You're kidding yourself if you don't think that situation could ever happen again. All it took was a razor-thin decision among two or three different leaders to make all the difference of nuclear holocaust or not.

If you haven't seen The Fog of War, I completely suggest you do. Before you make any safe assumptions about who you are and what you're capable of doing, you have to look beyond to what's possible in the past and what's possible today/in the future. It's a responsibility not only to educate yourself to the realities, but to the ramifications for the rest of the world. Rationality isn't what you give it credit for being.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

I disagree with this point, and I think that's part of the American self-delusion of our divine righteousness in the world. Everyone thinks they're the good guys. That they do things in not only their own rational interest, but in the rational interest of a better overall world.

Hitler did. Slobodan did. Now of course I don't think our country is anywhere near that category of course, even with what's going on in Iraq (though I am getting mighty nervous). But it would be foolish to think it wouldn't be possible. It would be as foolish in believing that it would be impossible for terrorists to fly jet aircraft into skyscrapers.

Do you know how many U.S. government insider hawks were telling JFK to blow the crap out of Cuba and start an all-out nuclear war with the USSR over the Cuban missile crisis in the early 1960s? You're kidding yourself if you don't think that situation could ever happen again. All it took was a razor-thin decision among two or three different leaders to make all the difference of nuclear holocaust or not.

If you haven't seen The Fog of War, I completely suggest you do. Before you make any safe assumptions about who you are and what you're capable of doing, you have to look beyond to what's possible in the past and what's possible today/in the future. It's a responsibility not only to educate yourself to the realities, but to the ramifications for the rest of the world. Rationality isn't what you give it credit for being.
    Of course its not impossible, but highly improbable. The difference between the situation now and the Cold War was that it was much more intense, and nobody really knew what to expect because the USSR did have the capability of destroying the mainland U.S. For the current situation, Iraq or no other country has this same capability. Of course the likes of North Korea and Iran might be close, but not to the same extent.

I know there is always a slight possiblity, but unless we are provoked to use such weapons I doubt we will. If Bush truly loves this country the last thing he would do is authorize the use of such weapons because the ramifications of which would be devestating to the U.S. Unless he is a complete madman, along with Cheney (who I do feel uneasy about for the latter; not a big fan of his demeanor), it would be unthinkable to use such weapons.

During what time period was Fog of War made? I've seen the movie Fail Safe; is it anything like that?

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Sergio ] ++

You do know that German scientists were racing around the clock to get their Atomic Bombs finished first, right? What do you think would have happened if Hitler got it first?

Here's a hint: You would be speaking German right now.

And Please don't use Saddam unleashing chemical weapons ON HIS OWN PEOPLE as justification for your argument.

Again, The US was dragged into a war it didn't want to be in, and up until that time, there were no Japanese civillian casualties, yet there were more than 10 million in China alone, all at the hands of the Japanese. The US and its Allies wanted to send a message to end this war, or do you honestly believe that Truman would have done this without the approval of Stalin and Churchill?

And for God's sakes, stop saying "Nuclear Bombs" If they were Nuclear bombs, Half of Japan would be in the ocean.
    I should have included that in my last post, regarding the German scientists who we were able to get. If we didnt get their scientists, Hitler would have atom bombed the entire world........

By using the atom bombs on Japan, we were able to save many more lives (hundreds of thousands) who would have been killed if the war went on.....and we would either be speaking German, Japanese, or both right now..................

About Mr. Kerry, did anyone here know that this goof tried to veto Reagan's buildup of nuclear arms in the 1980's ??? If not for our great president Reagan, and the arms race that virtually caused Russia to go broke, ppl like Zlatan may well be still under communism, and would not be able to entertain us on the internet...You can thank us for your freedom.............

And Mr. Kerry also vetoed the coalition of the Gulf War back in '90. If he had his way, Iraq would STILL be running Kuwait, and most likely Saudi Arabia. Saddam would have gotten his hands on nukes by now, and the war we would be fighting now would be costing us ALOT more lives......

food for thought...................

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
    Of course its not impossible, but highly improbable. The difference between the situation now and the Cold War was that it was much more intense, and nobody really knew what to expect because the USSR did have the capability of destroying the mainland U.S. For the current situation, Iraq or no other country has this same capability. Of course the likes of North Korea and Iran might be close, but not to the same extent.
    This certainly isn't the same level of danger as the Cold War. That's for sure. But to the extent that we are concerned about the rogue and rash use of nukes, I think there are some elements that do apply.

My only point there was to suggest that thinking that you're rational and would never do something foolish, destructive, or evil is an insufficient argument or justification -- since that line of thinking has many historical precedents that have proven otherwise.

I know there is always a slight possiblity, but unless we are provoked to use such weapons I doubt we will. If Bush truly loves this country the last thing he would do is authorize the use of such weapons because the ramifications of which would be devestating to the U.S. Unless he is a complete madman, along with Cheney (who I do feel uneasy about for the latter; not a big fan of his demeanor), it would be unthinkable to use such weapons.
    I wish I could be so secure in those thoughts. With nations like North Korea, Iran, and Pakistan either with or on the verge of getting nukes, I'm not so confident to believe we can rule out the potential or the possibility. If anything, 9/11 should have been a wake up call for many of us to not trust our assumptions about what's possible and what's not -- what some people are capable of, and what they are not capable of.

During what time period was Fog of War made? I've seen the movie Fail Safe; is it anything like that?
    I haven't seen Fail Safe. I'll have to look for that. Fog of War came out last year -- it also won the Oscar for Best Documentary. Regardless of your political beliefs, it's really worth a watch as an eye opener about what happens in wartime, how lines get confusing and blurry, and how safe assumptions on the outside mask a lot of what really has to happen on the inside.

It's an Errol Morris film, so it's a great take on a single subject -- namely about Robert S. McNamara (a former GM Motors exec and Secy of Defense during much of the Vietnam War, and later the president of the World Bank) and his 11 lessons or key discoveries in hindsight. Like most Errol Morris films, it's pretty one-dimensional. But just the wisdom of experience that he offers carries the entire film.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #549
    ++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++

About Mr. Kerry, did anyone here know that this goof tried to veto Reagan's buildup of nuclear arms in the 1980's ??? If not for our great president Reagan, and the arms race that virtually caused Russia to go broke, ppl like Zlatan may well be still under communism, and would not be able to entertain us on the internet...You can thank us for your freedom.............

And Mr. Kerry also vetoed the coalition of the Gulf War back in '90. If he had his way, Iraq would STILL be running Kuwait, and most likely Saudi Arabia. Saddam would have gotten his hands on nukes by now, and the war we would be fighting now would be costing us ALOT more lives......

food for thought...................

Oh yes, thank you All Mighty American one, for saving us poor and defenseless humble servants ftrom a life uder communism... :rolleyes: Thank you all mighty one, for you are truly wise and powerful, my American God!!! :rolleyes:

What a bunch of horsecrap, and you know it. Russia had nothing to do with Yugoslavia, and our pre-1980 communism was much more human than your American capitalism.

Your food for thought isnt very nutritional.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

This certainly isn't the same level of danger as the Cold War. That's for sure. But to the extent that we are concerned about the rogue and rash use of nukes, I think there are some elements that do apply.

My only point there was to suggest that thinking that you're rational and would never do something foolish, destructive, or evil is an insufficient argument or justification -- since that line of thinking has many historical precedents that have proven otherwise.
    Well I can see your point. We really should not speculate on what people are capable of doing, or what resides in their conscience. But again we can't live our respective lives in fear of Armageddon, therefore we have to hope that a President wouldn't do anything so drastic. But in the words of Plato, those who admit they know nothing are the first to gain knowledge.

I haven't seen Fail Safe. I'll have to look for that. Fog of War came out last year -- it also won the Oscar for Best Documentary. Regardless of your political beliefs, it's really worth a watch as an eye opener about what happens in wartime, how lines get confusing and blurry, and how safe assumptions on the outside mask a lot of what really has to happen on the inside.

It's an Errol Morris film, so it's a great take on a single subject -- namely about Robert S. McNamara (a former Ford Motors exec and Secy of Defense during much of the Vietnam War, and later the president of the World Bank) and his 11 lessons or key discoveries in hindsight. Like most Errol Morris films, it's pretty one-dimensional. But just the wisdom of experience that he offers carries the entire film.
    Fail Safe was more of a play than a movie, as it was broadcasted live on CBS more than a year ago if I remember correctly. It portrayed how volatile a situation the Cold War actually was, as the President could not call back one US bomber heading towards Moscow with orders to drop the bomb. The "Fail Safe" system which is supposed to make sure executive orders are valid actually failed, as pilots carried out the bombing even though the President himself was calling it back. Very entertaining "play" actually.

But yeah I'll check out that movie. Sounds like it could be very influential and eye-opening.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++

Oh yes, thank you All Mighty American one, for saving us poor and defenseless humble servants ftrom a life uder communism... :rolleyes: Thank you all mighty one, for you are truly wise and powerful, my American God!!! :rolleyes:

What a bunch of horsecrap, and you know it. Russia had nothing to do with Yugoslavia, and our pre-1980 communism was much more human than your American capitalism.

I'll take that as a thank you....................

Your welcome !!!!!!

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #559
    ++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++

I'll take that as a thank you....................

Your welcome !!!!!!

_Emerson

Aug 13, 2004

You are seriously paphetic, its very obvious you have much against USA, but please save us for your bullshit, im sure the bosnian "anti america" mentality has affected you, but to say all the childish bullshit about bush (as earlier in this thread) is just so ****ing paphetic!

And by the way how ****ed up most you be to say "our pre-1980 communism was much more human than your American capitalism.", geez!

FORZA BUSH & USA!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)