Tennis (1 Viewer)

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
After he lost in Wimbledon in the first round he blamed everything on the grass. Its so funny how much of a sore loser he is!

Although in the Australian Open he was awesome

Im quite impressed with the 'russian teen' Maria Sharapova, but in the final Ill be rooting for Serena

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
i'm sorry sally, but serena lost on the final :)

WIMBLEDON DREAM FOR SHARAPOVA
Sunday 4th July 2004

By Sara Rasul.

An amazing performance by Russian sensation, Maria Sharapova, turned her into the new queen of SW19 when she upset Serena Williams 6-1 7-5 to claim her first Grand Slam title.

She became the first Russian to win the ladies' crown in the Open era and, at just 17-years and two months, the second youngest behind Martina Hingis.

Serena had been hoping to become the first woman to win the Championships three times in a row since Steffi Graf.

But that soon looked unlikely. Sharapova came onto the court focused and composed. It was hard to tell that this was only her second Wimbledon tournament, and her first Slam final.

She outpowered and outplayed the defending champion from the outset. And, although Serena showed her class on several occasions, like when she picked up an almost dead ball and thrust it across court, persistent errors and poor serving were to be her downfall.

When the American netted the ball on Sharapova's third match point, the Russian girl fell on her knees and cupped her face in her hands.

She ran over to her father, Yuri, and then tried to call her mother in the US from a mobile phone.

"It's unreal!," Sharapova declared. "Serena, I'm sorry to have to take this from you for one year. I am sure there will be many more moments to come when we will be fighting it out for a trophy."

Sharapova cruised to an early lead, breaking the error-prone top seed twice on her way to a first set trouncing.

Despite Serena taking the advantage in the sixth game of the second set, an inablilty to control her serve allowed the Russian the opportunity to level.

A spectacular lob that flew way over the American's head and landed well inside the baseline helped Sharapova to take the next game from the server, conceding just one point.

When Serena failed to hold onto her subsequent service game, it was left to Sharapova to serve for the Championship. Could she do it? Yes, she could.

It took three attempts, but Sharapova was soon holding up the famous winner's trophy.

Sharapova has come a long way since her humble start in tennis. Born in Siberia, she arrived in America with her father at the age of nine. It was two years before her mother was granted the visa that allowed her to join them.

But Sharapova made an impression at the famed Nick Bolletieri tennis academy and, at just 14 years of age, she turned professional.

After the match, the teenager praised Bolletieri and her coach, Robert Landsdorp."Nick and Robert have been a big part of my life," she said.

"I also owe my mom and dad so much. Me and my dad have been though this together all through my career."

"What has happened is really incredible. It's an amazing feeling, it gives me goosebumps. But it's happened so fast that it's still kind of new to me.

"These are moments in life we have to enjoy because not every teenager, every person, gets to experience such a moment in their lives."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)