Tactics and Formations (8 Viewers)

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
I always say, the quality of your squad should dictate the formation - and not the other way around.

I would start by thinking of our biggest weakness - our defensive mids. Our greatest strengths? Wingers - Chiesa and Cuadrado. Our highest quality forward is Dybala - what is his best position? Second striker. From there the team picks itself.

----------------------------SZCZESNY----------------------------

DANILO-----BONUCCI-----CHIELLINI-----SANDRO

-----------------ARTHUR-------LOCATELLI------------------
CUADRADO-------------------------------------------CHIESA

-------------------DYBALA------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------MORATA----------------------

Couple of additional comments. The above formation easily transforms to 343 with Sandro and Cuadrado becoming wingbacks. Locatelli is a "lock" in that formation - his partner, however, is hard to pick but should ultimately go to the player with the best form. I think Arthur is the other midfielder who at least has great qualities in possession. Kulusevski would be best as a Dybala 2nd stringer while Kean and Kaio would be Morata replacements. Should one of Cuadrado or Chiesa not be available then Kulusevski should again be looked at while Berna should kind of be avoided given his lack of quality. I see Kean as a player who can play out wide but not in a 442 so much so we have a lack of back up options for Chiesa.

Also note I went for Bonucci and Chiellini rather than De Ligt. If both are fit, I would go with that pairing for now for as much as possible given their excellent understanding with eachother. This squad is VERY young. Having experience out there is quite valuable right now - especially in defence. Eventually De Ligt will and should become first choice.

Right now we need results and we need to stop leaking goals. We need a solid system. I think this one is the one we should go with for a while.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Which is better:

Tek
Danilo deLight Chiellini MDS
Arthur Locatelli
Cuadrado Dybala Chiesa
Morata

Tek
Cuadrado deLight Chiellini MDS
Arthur Ben10/Danilo Loca
Chiesa Dybala Kulu/Morata​

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
I always say, the quality of your squad should dictate the formation - and not the other way around.

I would start by thinking of our biggest weakness - our defensive mids. Our greatest strengths? Wingers - Chiesa and Cuadrado. Our highest quality forward is Dybala - what is his best position? Second striker. From there the team picks itself.

----------------------------SZCZESNY----------------------------

DANILO-----BONUCCI-----CHIELLINI-----SANDRO

-----------------ARTHUR-------LOCATELLI------------------
CUADRADO-------------------------------------------CHIESA

-------------------DYBALA------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------MORATA----------------------

Couple of additional comments. The above formation easily transforms to 343 with Sandro and Cuadrado becoming wingbacks. Locatelli is a "lock" in that formation - his partner, however, is hard to pick but should ultimately go to the player with the best form. I think Arthur is the other midfielder who at least has great qualities in possession. Kulusevski would be best as a Dybala 2nd stringer while Kean and Kaio would be Morata replacements. Should one of Cuadrado or Chiesa not be available then Kulusevski should again be looked at while Berna should kind of be avoided given his lack of quality. I see Kean as a player who can play out wide but not in a 442 so much so we have a lack of back up options for Chiesa.

Also note I went for Bonucci and Chiellini rather than De Ligt. If both are fit, I would go with that pairing for now for as much as possible given their excellent understanding with eachother. This squad is VERY young. Having experience out there is quite valuable right now - especially in defence. Eventually De Ligt will and should become first choice.

Right now we need results and we need to stop leaking goals. We need a solid system. I think this one is the one we should go with for a while.
I would add that all of our wingers have a great stamina to track back and help the defense. That also applies to Bernardeschi whom you have downgraded. I like that formation more than 4312 because I think playing Chiesa anything that's not a winger is a waste. My only worry is that with only two CMs we are likely to being dominated in the middle of the field...

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
Which is better:

Tek
Arthur Locatelli
Cuadrado Dybala Chiesa
Morata

Tek
Cuadrado deLight Chiellini MDS
Arthur Ben10/Danilo Loca
Chiesa Dybala Kulu/Morata​
Tek
Arthur Locatelli
Cuadrado Dybala Chiesa
Morata

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Midfield is our weak link, so limit the number of midfielders we have on the pitch at one time. I wish we could play 4-1-3-2 but that's obviously not going to work.

4-4-2/4-2-3-1 hybrid is the way to go, with Cuads and Chiesa overlapping, Dybala behind Morata/Kean and Loca and Arturd as our starting mids. If the French pansy can play as DM, toss him in there instead.

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4,952
    Midfield is our weak link, so limit the number of midfielders we have on the pitch at one time. I wish we could play 4-1-3-2 but that's obviously not going to work.

4-4-2/4-2-3-1 hybrid is the way to go, with Cuads and Chiesa overlapping, Dybala behind Morata/Kean and Loca and Arturd as our starting mids. If the French pansy can play as DM, toss him in there instead.
    I would say defence too. Chiellini and Bonucci are great but do not have the longevity for an entire season. They did great over one intensive month in the Euros but in a nine month league, the cracks will apear. De Ligt is great but I find him still error prone.
    As for the flanks, Cuadrado is not a real RB, he is great but I see flaws in his position from time to time. Alex Sandro is a nobody, the Bentancur of left backs and the most sorry situation we have with him is that he never had any replacement to challenge him for his position, the ultimate free rider.

And I will not mention a word about the goalkeeper

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
    ...Chiellini and Bonucci are great but do not have the longevity for an entire season. They did great over one intensive month in the Euros but in a nine month league, the cracks will apear....
    they would look much better behind three out of barella, jorginho, verratti and locatelli though

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
    How bout lippi style?

tek
    Danilo deligt bonucci sandro
    Cuadrado Locatelli mckennie
    Chiesa
    Dybala morata
    (Maybe 4321 for Chiesa)

- - - Updated - - -

How bout lippi style?

tek
    Danilo deligt bonucci sandro
    Cuadrado Locatelli mckennie
    Chiesa
    Dybala morata
    (Maybe 4321 for Chiesa)
    Genius

Last edited:

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
    Aug 13, 2013
    can rabiot play in double pivot and have more defensive duties as an anchor? If he can i think alle will consider this one.
    replace arthur with rabiot.
    locatelli and dybala as playmaker.
    With rabiot, sandro and danilo covering in front of 2 CB's i think we have enough balance.
    Artur is out for few months. Locatelli as AM because he is a Goal scoring midfielder. Rabiot as DM and plays front of defense.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
    Midfield still concerns me. Only 2? Dybala having to drop deep.

I still think a 3 man midfield is needed...even though we only have 1 good one.

Cuadrado MDL Chiellini Danilo
    -----‐---------‐Rabiot-----------------
    McKennie‐------------Locatelli
    ‐‐----------------Dybala----------
    ‐------------Kean---------Chiesa

Wish we could clone chiesa for both sides. Can't have sandro starting anymore. Morata isn't long term, kean is so may as well start him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)