Syrian civil war (11 Viewers)

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I'm curios. How many of these refugees and migrants end up in Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Qatar, kuwait or other wealthier nations in the middle east?

asking cause i have no idea and never seem to hear anything about this

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #3,047
    I'm curios. How many of these refugees and migrants end up in Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Qatar, kuwait or other wealthier nations in the middle east?

Only those who have relatives already there.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
    Jan 16, 2011

They havent taken a single one without relatives. I swear were bombing the wrong arabs.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
    They havent taken a single one without relatives. I swear were bombing the wrong arabs.
    Your wrong, they've taken many of them even without relatives.

The prices of rents had gone up drastically in places like the UAE and Saudi Arabia because of the huge number of Syrians who moved, I know that first hand because I'm dealing with them on a daily bases.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
    Jan 16, 2011

The prices of rents had gone up drastically in places like the UAE and Saudi Arabia because of the huge number of Syrians who moved, I know that first hand because I'm dealing with them on a daily bases.
    How many had their asylum applications treated and accepted?

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
    How many had their asylum applications treated and accepted?
    I don't know the exact numbers to be honest, but like I've said we work in the real estate business throughout the GCC region and for the last few years the number of Syrians who are renting apartments are pretty huge (and I'm not talking about wealthy individuals, these are whole families renting small 1-2 bedroom apartments in modest areas).

If I had to make a wild guess from our stats and other companies working in the same area I would say, around 400-500 thousands in Saudi Arabia specifically in the major cities like Riyadh and Jeddah. In the UAE perhaps around 200-300 thousands specially in cities like Sharjah, Ajman and a decent number in Abu Dhabi (Dubai is quiet expensive to live in so you won't find many there except perhaps wealthier Syrians). In Kuwait I know as a fact that there are around 100 thousands Syrians there but Kuwait is a pretty small country.

egypt too had a huge number of Syrians moving there from what we're hearing but we don't work there so That's mainly what we hear from people who are there.

But it's kind of funny when I hear some politicians in Europe or the U.S. saying that these countries are not taking "any" refugees.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
    Jun 18, 2006
    I don't know the exact numbers to be honest, but like I've said we work in the real estate business throughout the GCC region and for the last few years the number of Syrians who are renting apartments are pretty huge (and I'm not talking about wealthy individuals, these are whole families renting small 1-2 bedroom apartments in modest areas).

If I had to make a wild guess from our stats and other companies working in the same area I would say, around 400-500 thousands in Saudi Arabia specifically in the major cities like Riyadh and Jeddah. In the UAE perhaps around 200-300 thousands specially in cities like Sharjah, Ajman and a decent number in Abu Dhabi (Dubai is quiet expensive to live in so you won't find many there except perhaps wealthier Syrians). In Kuwait I know as a fact that there are around 100 thousands Syrians there but Kuwait is a pretty small country.

egypt too had a huge number of Syrians moving there from what we're hearing but we don't work there so That's mainly what we hear from people who are there.

But it's kind of funny when I hear some politicians in Europe or the U.S. saying that these countries are not taking "any" refugees.
    It's kind of funny that you're using anecdotal evidence to estimate 800,000 refugees.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
    It's kind of funny that you're using anecdotal evidence to estimate 800,000 refugees.
    Like I've said I'm not a government agency to know the facts, but when you work in the real estate business you get a sence of these numbers.

We have our research departments plus other Major companies has too, so we collect these data to do our market research studies.

But to say that these countries don't take "any" Syrians is a complete Bull, sorry but that's just a joke.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
    Jun 18, 2006
    Like I've said I'm not a government agency to know the facts, but when you work in the real estate business you get a sence of these numbers.

We have our research departments plus other Major companies has too, so we collect these data to do our market research studies.

But to say that these countries don't take "any" Syrians is a complete Bull, sorry but that's just a joke.
    It probably is a joke but you certainly aren't helping your fellow MENA people/muslim anything near what you can. That's an important point.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
    Jul 13, 2013
    @everyone on this page, I've tried to find an actually great article about Syrian (and other) refugees in Arabian countries I've read a few weeks ago, but didn't manage to find it, what I did get hold of is this piece: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anhvinh-doanvo/europes-crisis-refugees_b_8175924.html, which still covers the basis I think.

What seems to be definitely wrong as far as I can tell are reports of the richer gulf states not taking in any refugees. The numbers given by the Saudi Arabian government for example is 2.5 million, which does seem exaggerated, BBC estimates 500.000.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
    May 20, 2009

I don't know about UAE or other gulf countries, but in Saudi Arabia it's true what Nzoric said.

@everyone on this page, I've tried to find an actually great article about Syrian (and other) refugees in Arabian countries I've read a few weeks ago, but didn't manage to find it, what I did get hold of is this piece: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anhvinh-doanvo/europes-crisis-refugees_b_8175924.html, which still covers the basis I think.

What seems to be definitely wrong as far as I can tell are reports of the richer gulf states not taking in any refugees. The numbers given by the Saudi Arabian government for example is 2.5 million, which does seem exaggerated, BBC estimates 500.000.
    This video will be more helpful for you, make sure you put it on mute and just read the subtitle :D

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
    Jul 13, 2013
    I don't know about UAE or other gulf countries, but in Saudi Arabia it's true what Nzoric said.

This video will be more helpful for you, make sure you put it on mute and just read the subtitle :D

Yeah that was pretty much my understanding. They've taken in quite a lot of Syrians, but don't label them as refugees.

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005

How many? Not enough that's for sure. To me it makes more sense to relocate there where at least they don't have to "assimilate" like they would in Europe. They'd have a common language, culture and religion. It makes absolute no sense why so many would go so far when they have more similarities right there in their back yard.

Jordan takes a ton of refugees and from what I hear is the rich gulf states would rather pay someone else billions in aid and make it someone else's problem.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
    Jan 16, 2011

So both Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch are wrong when they claim that not a single refugee has been offered permanent resettlement in the six wealthiest gulf countries? Most respectable (if that term still applies) western media outlets took up the report written by AI. I've personally read it at work and consulted people who have been digging to get this information.

Sorry, I'll take this over your anecdotal evidence of syrian refugees moving into apartments (letting them stay until they figure out where and how they can ship them out doesn't quite match the humanitarian effort I would expect from fellow Arabs). Work permits, education, health care and ultimately statehood is what they should be spending ressources on - not buying up IS oil and shipping it overseas as their own, not sending weapons to those deluded fuckwits.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
    Aug 22, 2007
    Dunno if already posted but-

Putin:

I gave examples based on our information about individuals financing various Islamic State subgroups in different countries. We have established that financing is coming from 40 countries, including G20 countries. We discussed this issue.We discussed the need to implement the relevant UN Security Council resolution, which was adopted on Russia’s initiative, on preventing financing of terrorism, unlawful trade in objects of art after terrorists pillage museums in the territories they seize, and unlawful sale of oil and petroleum products and earnings from this sale.

I also showed our colleagues satellite images and aerial photographs that show very clearly the scale of this illegal trade in oil and petroleum products. You see columns of refuelling vehicles stretching for dozens of kilometres in lines so long that from a height of 4,000–5,000 metres they vanish over the horizon. It really looks more like an oil pipeline system.

http://en.kremlin.ru/catalog/keywords/12/events/50704

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)