Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (2 Viewers)

gray

Apr 22, 2003

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance is the third installment of The Vengeance Trilogy by Park Chan-Wook, following Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and the perhaps more famous Oldboy.

I saw this movie last night, and I was thoroughly impressed. I'd probably be quicker to recommend this movie over Oldboy for the casual viewer or anyone who has an older sister (those who have seen Oldboy will understand), as it has a similarly captivating storyline, without the gratuitous violence.

The intriguing storyline and artful cinematography are topped off by a stunning performance by Lee Young-Ae, whom you might recognise from Jewel in the Palace. The film also stars pretty much the whole cast from Oldboy (including Oldboy's protagonist Choi Min-Sik), as the director chose to work with the same actors for the Vengeance Trilogy.

The film follows the story of Lee Geum-ja, a woman looking for revenge and redemption after spending 13 years in prison for kidnapping and killing a young boy. I'd love to go on and talk about it, but that would kind of ruin the plot, so I'll leave it at that, with my recommendation.

Buy on AliExpress.com

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
I'd add my recommendation, though I think Oldboy's the better film. The trilogy is thematic rather than three parts of the same story, so the order you watch them in isn't terribly important.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Old Boy is the best (very well done and haunting, short of a master piece), Mr Vengeance the most depressive and most heart felt, the more heavy drama then Lady. Lady is defenitely more light weight emotionally (compared to the other two, not on its own), but beautiful and bitterly sweet in a weird way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)